Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #401

NWishome, are you able to post a picture of what your welder did? I am very interested in a set up where the bikes are in the rear of my A122S. Thanks!
Bend5729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #402

Ko777, did you have to remove the propane tanks due to tongue weight?

And I love the set up. That's what I will be preparing for the Spring!!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #403

Yes my TV could not handle the extra 2 tanks weight and I only put tarps and light stuff in the front storage.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #404

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Awesome information and hints I'm getting so far, thank you and I really appreciate more of do and don't tips before I head out on my first camping trip using the A128S.

I have an outdoor extension cord 30 ft rated 13A/1400 Watts, will this handle the A/C of A128S, 10000 BTU?

When towing with 2 full propane tanks and the battery, how much tongue weight does this add? Its specs stated tongue weight is 260 pounds without any load.

Do I leave the gas water heater on after I've set up?

How long does the port-a-potty that came with the A128S last? is it easy to clean?

Happy Camping...
The port a potty is small, which means it is easy to carry and easy to clean at any dump station. However, it is quite low to the ground, and probably wont last more than a couple days of regular use w/o emptying. Personally, I prefer a larger model, such as the Coleman, tho it is bigger and bulkier to stow. A Coleman will last five days of two person #1 use if full of water. We use a pp tipi and hang out in our sleepy tipi.
silver.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #405

OK- I'll go take a photo and see if I can figure out how to upload it.
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #406

Welded hitch photos

Name:   Welded Hitch view 1.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:   Welded Hitch view 2.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  41.1 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch view 3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	39012

Name:   Hitch view 4.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  48.8 KB
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #407

Thanks for the pics. I would like to do something like that and put a small lockable cargo box big enough for a 55 lbs generator. Does anybody see any issues with that plan mod?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #408

I now use my Bal leveler every time I set up camp. Here is a hint using Bal leveler:
When you park on grassy lot, it is hard to put the Bal between the tires. Do the following to solve this issue, do these steps before putting the stabilizer bar down
- drive over a small log to raise the tire by an inch or so
- slide the Bal between the tire
- use a cordless drill to raise it, hold drill firmly, this may twist and injure your wrist
- if it is too hard for the drill to raise tire, use an impact cordless drill, it is very loud but it does the job
- use a breaker bar to raise the Bal leveler manually and to be quiet, plus it make it easy to raise it

I use my Bal even the ground is fairly level as a choke for the tire.

Note: I store my Bal leveler near the door entrance of the trailer, it fits perfectly and easy to access it. I scratch my wood door because that thing bounces around during travel, I learned my lesson to put paddings to prevent future damage.

How do I fix the scratch on the wooded door is my problem now...lol
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #409

They make furniture markers to color scratches in wood. Cheap way to go if the scratches aren't too deep. Check your local home center or big box store.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I now use my Bal leveler every time I set up camp. Here is a hint using Bal leveler:
When you park on grassy lot, it is hard to put the Bal between the tires. Do the following to solve this issue, do these steps before putting the stabilizer bar down
- drive over a small log to raise the tire by an inch or so
- slide the Bal between the tire
- use a cordless drill to raise it, hold drill firmly, this may twist and injure your wrist
- if it is too hard for the drill to raise tire, use an impact cordless drill, it is very loud but it does the job
- use a breaker bar to raise the Bal leveler manually and to be quiet, plus it make it easy to raise it

I use my Bal even the ground is fairly level as a choke for the tire.

Note: I store my Bal leveler near the door entrance of the trailer, it fits perfectly and easy to access it. I scratch my wood door because that thing bounces around during travel, I learned my lesson to put paddings to prevent future damage.

How do I fix the scratch on the wooded door is my problem now...lol
I used my Bal leveler and tire chock combo this weekend at the beach. Last week, I cut some 3/4 exterior plywood to sit under the tires and I am glad I did. The wind was really blowing, eroding the sand around anything that was in contact with the ground. I had to adjust the stabilizers down twice a day to maintain contact. The Bal chock was on the windward side. The plywood held the sand around the tire, preventing it from sinking into the sand.

Removing the leveler on the lee side was a breeze. Without the plywood platform, it would have sunk into the sand but instead it just slipped out after I lowered it.

A father and son in our group prefer to sleep on a tarp, without a tent. Overnight, the the beach drifts piled up and half covered one of them. He has a new nickname now.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #411

Thank you for the pics Nwishome! That looks like the route I am going to take.
Bend5729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #412

How do I post a question on this forum? Thanks
Jnaom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #413
Mostly Harmless

I assume you meant to ask how you can start a topic thread centered on your question. It depends on what software you're using to access the Forum. Some of us use iPads or other tablets and the command to start a new thread is in a different location than it is if you access the Forum through a web browser. Whichever method you use, look around among the commands available to you and find one that says something similar to New Thread. When you choose that command a page will open for you to start a thread. Give it a meaningful title, then just type in your question or comment. Happy sailing!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #414

A tip for storing the bal leveler. An insulated pizza delivery bag is a good storage bag for the bal, it's the right size, velcros shut and is padded for protection. The bag keeps grease from getting everywhere. They're inexpensive on eBay.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #415

Or you can use a plastic under the bed storage organizer from Walmart. It has wheels for about $15 bucks. That's what use and the cover locks on.
SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #416

Wow, it has been several weeks since I have updated this thread. After my East Coast trip, I did a couple of weekend camping.
Inverhuron Provincial Park:http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/inverhuron
Sandbanks Provincial Park: http://www.ontarioparks.com/park/sandbanks

The link takes you to other parks too, enjoy the info and hopefully you'll visit us in Ontario.

Next season, my mission is to camp in Ontario parks, enjoy the sites, just relax and take it easy. My experience in my East Coast trip was great but it was not relaxing because of the touring I did almost everyday. I did not gain weight but lost a couple pounds from all the activities I did there...lol

So sad that I have winterized my rig, covered it and parked it in my front yard. It will be there for the next 6 months. I use the same winterizing process as last season. I added some new steps, cover the 4 sharp corners and cover the front with tarp to protect the surface of my bike carrier which faded a bit because of the sun.

Name:	image-90574318.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	41433
Non slip mat on top of the corners

Name:	image-4261790619.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	41434Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1880130410.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	41435
Multi layers of cover like last time, it worked great, saves me from getting a real cover Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2387401580.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	41436
Winterized, covered and parked
The only step I have to do is jack up the tires like last season and cover the tires.

I just got a new gadget to load test my batteries. Tested my rig's battery and it pass even after several weeks storage. I always disconnect the battery by pulling the fuse out. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3623809108.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	41437
On sale for $20 at Canadian Tire this week

Enjoy fall/winter camping while I'm hibernating!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #417

Winter Blah....
We had a major winter storm mostly Freezing Rain 3 days before Christmas here in Toronto. Over 300,000 hydro customers at the peak were without power. Up to 9 days without hydro for some customers. Only today almost everyone got there hydro back. Times like these we really appreciate every one helping each other.

We are looking forward to a very Happy New Year 2014 in a nice warm place and lots of food!

Here are some of the pictures I took the day after the winter storm:

Name:	image-127953588.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	44293
Neighbor across tree branches fallen

Name:	image-2199394449.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	44294
My tree covered with ice and leaving the hydro wires alone

Name:	image-2681870195.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	44295
My A128S covered with ice but the cover protected it good

I was very fortunate to have minimum hydro disruptions, I believe my grid is the same as the hospital close by and would have a priority to bring hydro back up if it went down.

I was planning for the future to be ready just in case I don't have hydro for several days using my trailer:
- Pop up my trailer to keep me warm and sleep at night
- Make sure both propane tanks are full before storing trailer for the winter
- Have gas containers full for the generator
- Have several 15 liter bottle water filled up in the house
- All my power pack and batteries charged up
- Lots of flash lights
- Have enough food supplies for several days
- Have supplies of tea candles in stock

Name:	image-3550004517.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	44296
From the Internet, I learned how to make this mini heater with flower pots, there are several small pots in the big pot for retaining heat. The temperature got has high as 105 Celsius. I use this supplement heating my house now. I calculate saving $25 a month using this heater 8 hours a day, tea candles for heat source...I have a CO2 monitor close by for safety.

Because of our fun times having our trailer, it is also there for getting us through in cases like this winter storm. I appreciate my trailer even more.

Can't wait for spring to come so I could go camping again.

Happy 2014 and Best wishes to you all!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #418

Your winter check list sounds like my summer/fall hurricane check list. It's usually fall for us because if Houston gets hit, it is in September.

Glad you are getting through and looking forward to better times ahead. Camp on.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #419
Mostly Harmless

Hey, KO! Good to hear from you once again. I was wondering whether you dropped out of the group. Here's hoping the rest of the winter is better than the forecasters are saying it will be. Happy 2014.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #420

Lol...I was hibernating for the winter , I thought of using my trailer if I lost hydro but I was happy I did not have to.

Oh well back to hibernation...

Did anyone try our a-frame at -15c with a windchill of -25c? It was that cold here during the hydro disaster and I was wondering if it could be heated by our heater....

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner