RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #101

Bringing water jugs is a good idea. I've filled my fresh water tank to full on some of my previous trips and only use less than 5 gallons of water; I dump the rest before heading home, what a waste. Also I have been using the propane without controlling how much. Since I got my trailer several weeks ago I have been turning on the furnace, water heater and use the propane for the fridge when there is no hookup. I have been using my fridge like a freezer by setting it to the highest, this must use a lot of propane too. To date I have emptied 1 propane tank and have 2 pounds left on the other; did 20 days of camping.

Maybe after I winterized my trailer this season, I won't bother using the water system next season. I find the sink too small so I use basins to wash dishes.

I have used all the features of my A128S and they worked great. So my next trip I will be more energy conscious and stop playing with the toys.

I'll surely renew my passport soon so I could plan trips to USA next year.

If you have URLs for CG from Ontario to Iowa, Florida and others, please post here. If you have URL for rest stops on the way there please post too. Thanks.

Happy Fall Camping!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #102
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777
I have used all the features of my A128S and they worked great. So my next trip I will be more energy conscious and stop playing with the toys.

If you have URLs for CG from Ontario to Iowa, Florida and others, please post here. If you have URL for rest stops on the way there please post too. Thanks.

Happy Fall Camping!
Those extra features are great to have when you need them, we've just gotten laid back about some of them. If there were an Olympic competition in Lazy I'd be on the team.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, do I have an app for you! It's called Allstays Camp and RV, and it shows just about every camping spot in Canada and the US. You can set filters so it will show only public or only private CGs, only propane filling spots, only WalMarts, or only RV service places. Maybe it'll even show rest areas, I never thought to check. We used ours when we camped in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is the area I assume you'd pass through from Sault St. Marie on the way to anywhere Midwest. It was great. Each site can display on a map and there's contact into for whichever one(s) you decide to look at more closely. I could see planning out a whole expedition with it. I don't know if they have a version for other smartphones, tho. It's a good reason to get an iThingy if you need to convince someone.
Here are some screen shots from the app. Each pin is a point of interest to a camper, from CGs to gas stations, dump stations, groceries, Wally Worlds, etc. You can have it show everything on a satellite photo instead of a map, too, which you can zoom in on down to street level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3184237551.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	20489   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3171799458.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	20490   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-659454438.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	20491   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3580806901.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	20492  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #103

Quote:
Bringing water jugs is a good idea. I've filled my fresh water tank to full on some of my previous trips and only use less than 5 gallons of water; I dump the rest before heading home, what a waste. Also I have been using the propane without controlling how much. Since I got my trailer several weeks ago I have been turning on the furnace, water heater and use the propane for the fridge when there is no hookup. I have been using my fridge like a freezer by setting it to the highest, this must use a lot of propane too. To date I have emptied 1 propane tank and have 2 pounds left on the other; did 20 days of camping.

Maybe after I winterized my trailer this season, I won't bother using the water system next season. I find the sink too small so I use basins to wash dishes.

Happy Fall Camping!
This is a campground we love here in Florida. Reservations book up to 6 months in advance so plan ahead. Popups can stay on the tent side also.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm
K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
If you have an iPhone or iPad, do I have an app for you! It's called Allstays Camp and RV, and it shows just about every camping spot in Canada and the US. You can set filters so it will show only public or only private CGs, only propane filling spots, only WalMarts, or only RV service places. Maybe it'll even show rest areas, I never thought to check. We used ours when we camped in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is the area I assume you'd pass through from Sault St. Marie on the way to anywhere Midwest. It was great. Each site can display on a map and there's contact into for whichever one(s) you decide to look at more closely. I could see planning out a whole expedition with it.
Great app, I see the potential of this being part of my tools to bring when RVing... I bring my IPad with me when I go for my trips; it is very nice to review the pictures you have taken. When I'm outside Canada I could use this app to find places that have free WiFi. I sometimes visit this forum when I'm out there just to see what's happening....
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #105

Quote:
I got back this afternoon and left my trailer there for next weekend camping. This will be the last time and will have to winterize the trailer.

Every trip I get to know my A128S limitation. After 3 nights and 3 days of cold weather and no hookup; the furnace, fridge and water heater were running continuously with propane. Last night I took a chance with the propane in front almost empty and the other at the rear for stove connection. I could have swap it before I slept but I want to see what happens and it did. Around 4am I heard the furnace fun go, the on noise wakes me up on occasion, I felt no heat coming out, but I was not sure so I went back to sleep. I woke up again because it was getting cold, it was 15c, the furnace is not running. I checked the stove and it fired up so I reset the furnace by putting the console to off position for 15 seconds first and then select furnace, it turned on but no heat coming out. Now I know for sure the propane is empty but has enough juice to keep the pilot light on for the fridge and light up the stove quickly. I moved the rear propane tank to the front, connected it to propane regulator and turn it on. Went back in and reset the furnace as before, this time I got heat coming out. I needed heat badly because it was close to freezing 0c or 32f. The trailer lost 5c in 30 minutes so insulation is not great.

Another thing I've learned is how much battery is used by the furnace on a cold night. I fully charged the battery with a gas generator for 4 hours. Got over 13 volts reading on a volt meter before I slept, the next day it read approx 11.5 volts. It used over 2.5 volts a night. I've drained the battery under 10 volts and the furnace still works but this is killing the battery so I'll avoid doing that.

I had problem pegging the screen tent and it was windy the other day. I was able to tie down the front corners and the front middle at the bottom to trees. I also use the 2 stabilizers for the 2 back corners. I was lucky there were lots of trees there. I need a peg-less system when trees are not there, any suggestions?

I'll post pictures of this trip later...

Happy fall camping!
Here are pictures that will remind me about this trip and some reminder of my set up there:

Name:	image-2293045270.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	20576
Nice fall colours on my bike trip

Name:	image-1517515428.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	20577
Just a reminder pegging is impossible here

Name:	image-1901927637.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	20578
No pegs but using the trees and stabilizers to tie the bottom of the tent is a good replacement, the tent survived the strong wind

Name:	image-1724693493.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	20583Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1810874898.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	20584Click image for larger version

Name:	image-574198546.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	20585
Setup using the screen room and a 20x15 tarp both survived the strong wind and rain

Name:	image-15926681.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	20586Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2126943956.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	20587
This is how I check the battery level, from the light below the microwave oven. I compared the reading directly on the battery and it was identical. Any reading below 10 volts means battery is being drained too much, avoid this level.

Name:	image-3465219379.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	20588
Tiny generator(too noisy) but good enough to charge the battery and watch TV, I have to get a Honda or Yamaha.

Name:	image-3472655068.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	20591Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3145383658.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	20589
Empty propane tank=19 pounds

Name:	image-2816052519.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	20590Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1204390263.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	20592
How I check the trailer level. Free app for the IPod

Name:	image-151739040.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	20593
Abandon there

I'll be back!

Happy Fall Camping!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #106

Ko777 - love the fall colors! I'd never survive a set up with tie downs as shown...Past experience while visiting a friends similar set up left me with a bruised ego and bloody elbow after tripping over one of them in the middle of the night. LOL I prefer to use weight and/or drop the height of my canopy in windy conditions if I am unable to stake down and need to keep the shelter up.

Its been enjoyable to share your trips thru photos. Its great to see how we individually set up camp with our A Frames. We have no choice but to get creative in making them work for us, inside and out!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #107

Trip #6 conclusion: I came back to my trailer after 6 days. First thing I did is to check how much the battery drained, it was fully charged when I left it. The volt meter reading was close to 10 volts. It looks like the trailer's gadgets sucks up the battery pretty good. A gas generator is a must for trips like this, I will invest on a Honda or Yamaha generator in the future.

The weather forecast was bad for the weekend, rain starting at 3pm today and all day tomorrow, so I decided to go home today with the trailer. I guess this is my last camping trip.

I was able to take my inflatable SeaEagle out with my friends in their canoe. It was a nice cool ride on the river:

Name:	image-2525748907.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	20652Click image for larger version

Name:	image-758297881.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	20653

Since the rain is coming and I don't want to pack the screen room tent wet, I attempted to put the 20x15 tarp in its place. It was easy setting it up but does not look good. It was enough to give us shelter to cook and eat dry:

Name:	image-2762606484.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	20654

This was my first time to go home late with the trailer and get home at night:

Name:	image-3359287053.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	20655
Guess what, after several camping trips and all that practice parking the trailer paid off, I parked successfully tonight and it was easy. I've been parking solo so I have to cheat with objects to guide me back in to my driveway. I remember the time when I back in and ended at my neighbour's driveway and pissing off car drivers on the road waiting for me to finish parking. I use my garbage bins to mark my driveway and the other on the end of the driveway, hitting them won't hurt my trailer. Tonight I used a spot light to guide me in and it helped a lot. The street lights in my house is far away and too deem to see my driveway.

I got my A128S 9 weeks ago and enjoyed 8 weekends camping with it. Getting information from you guys in this thread helped me enjoy my trips. I will refer to this thread next season to bring back my memories of my camping trips. Knowing the trailer's limitation and all it's parts was one of the purpose of going out on weekends. Next season, I hope I don't repeat my stupid mistakes I did this season.

The thread on winterizing in this forum will guide me to do it in my trailer. I will use the blow out process and put antifreeze in the sink drain. I plan to use a tarp to cover the trailer. The tarp has a smooth side and won't scratch the trailer surface and to make sure I'll double tarp it so the tarp will be rubbing each other if it moves.

Those who had an AFrame for more than 1 season, did any of you store your trailer with tires elevated? If yes, how did you do it? Who is planning to do this for this season? Do you think it is good, bad, or not necessary to elevate the tires?

Depending on the information I get, I may elevate my trailer's tires, it will be stationary for 5 months. What will I do?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #108

Quote:

No pegs but using the trees and stabilizers to tie the bottom of the tent is a good replacement, the tent survived the strong wind

I'll be back!

Happy Fall Camping!
I made some permanent awning hold down boards to go under the stabilizers per your previous posts.

I don't know if you've purchased any of the nail type tent pegs for your awning. You can just about drive them into almost anything with a rubber mallet. We used them for years tent camping. The hardware stores carry large spike of a similar size that work OK - but rust.

Also, I've used sand bags when pegging wasn't an option.

Glad you enjoyed your A-Frame!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom

I made some permanent awning hold down boards to go under the stabilizers per your previous posts.

Also, I've used sand bags when pegging wasn't an option.

Glad you enjoyed your A-Frame!
I remember that post, I'm glad that it worked out for you. That idea came out from your post of an issue and I did implement it to my set up and it worked beautifully. I have another idea for a peg less setup and will try it next season. I'll post it if it works out. The sand bags is a good suggestion so I may take some sand from one of my future trips. We could use the 5 gallon water container for pegging too.

In that post I mentioned about the glue for the velcro that strips off, it worked great for me. Did you get it? Got it from home depot.

Have you winterized your rig? Are you elevating the tires?

Winterizing Time!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I remember that post, I'm glad that it worked out for you.
In that post I mentioned about the glue for the velcro that strips off, it worked great for me. Did you get it? Got it from home depot.

Have you winterized your rig? Are you elevating the tires?

Winterizing Time!
I've purchased and applied the glue. I haven't tested it yet as we haven't used the awning during the past few trips.

I am looking at partially winterizing it. Here in Alabama, we only have a few nights each year where the temperature gets into the 20's (F) or below. I am either going to add antifreeze to the water heater, white water tank etc. and drain/flush the lines when we use the camper.

Alternately, we may fully winterize the unit's water system and drain (sink trap) and carry water to the site.

My wife and I plan on camping at least one time a month during the winter months through spring. It will be covered against the effects of weather but fully ready to camp as needed.

To me, we are coming up on some of our best camping weather down here!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom
My wife and I plan on camping at least one time a month during the winter months through spring. It will be covered against the effects of weather but fully ready to camp as needed.

To me, we are coming up on some of our best camping weather down here!
Have fun with your future trips. I hope you create a thread and give us your experience in winter camping.
In your case you don't have to elevate the tires since they won't be on one spot for a long period of time.

I did not get any info from AFrame owners about elevating their tires if it is a good or bad idea.

Since my rig will be stationary for 5 months I'll attempt to have them raised. I have an idea on what to do. Having the jack stand on the axle is not recommended so I'll use a pair of jack stand on each side, one close to the back of the tire and the other in the front. The weight will be distributed on the frame just like how it supports the axle. I'll post pics on the raised tires when it is done.

Idea: I think if a lower the tongue to the lowest point and then put the jack stand close to the rear of the tires, then raise the tongue until both tires are elevated, then put jack stands close to the front of the tires(maybe use both front stabilizer to support some weight), then lower the tongue so the weight are now on the 4 jack stands. If this works then I do not have to jack up each side. Will this damage the tongue lifter?

I'm starting to winterize my rig. It was hard to unscrew the anode rod. I had to barrow special tools to get it out and I was successful today.

Step 1 is done, drain all the water from hot water tank and fresh water tank via gravity.

Step 2 I'll attempt to bypass the hot water line and then blow out the water via the water intake port with an air compressor set at 35 psi. I will check if this will empty the filter jar without a filter. Use the water pump to blow out more water. If the filter jar is not empty, manually remove the jar and empty it. Open the lower drain pipes. Put antifreeze in the sink drain.

Step 3 Fill in the water line with antifreeze, I may skip this step if I could blow out all the water from the lines.

PS: if I'm missing something in my step please point it out

I plan to do this steps this weekend.

Good luck getting your rig winterized!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #112

Why do you want to elevate your trailer tires? We have had several travel trailers as well as utility trailers and never elevated them in the winter & no damage has ever occurred with the tires. Our utility trailers are kept outside on hard packed dirt/sand during our snowy winter season and theyve been ready to work when spring arrives whereas my only concern with the A-Frame is the snow load on the roof & windows, so it is stored inside the shop. LOL I popped it up so I can "pretend camp" until the spring. Silly but true. hee hee

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder
Why do you want to elevate your trailer tires?
Tire Flat-spotting: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=42
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #114

Thats very interesting note on tires but still not sure why you'd want to elevate your A-Frame tires? It doesnt have heavy duty high performance and high speed rated tires as indicated in the article...well, at least not the tires that came on my toy hauler trailer? Maybe our units have different tires - I still fail to see the necessity of elevation for these light weight trailers. Take care.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #115
Rockwood Premier A126

I understand the theory behind elevating the tires off the "ground" but I have to agree with handbuilder. We have now and have owned different campers and utility trailers over the years that have sat unused for extended periods. We never had issues with the tires and some of them weren't the newest tires either...

I'm not saying it won't be a problem, each person's situation and tolerances are different, just that we've never had issues. I also understand your interest in protecting your investment. This aframe has brought you a lot of pleasure in the last few months, so I get your concern.

If storing your camper outside over winter, I would suggest using wheel/tire covers to keep the elements (mainly sun) from damaging the tires. I'd cover them whether you elevate the tires or not.

Interested in what you do and the outcome.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory
If storing your camper outside over winter, I would suggest using wheel/tire covers to keep the elements (mainly sun) from damaging the tires. I'd cover them whether you elevate the tires or not.

Interested in what you do and the outcome.

Deb
It is nice to know that the tires does not show any damage without elevating them, the AFrame may not be that heavy but I may go for it just to pamper my rig. If it is too difficult to elevate the tires I'll skip this step. Have you stored your rig without moving them for more than 5 months?

I'm using the info you post about the water line blow out process. I did the bypass hot water tank step. I turned on the water pump and got more water out from the faucets. It was not strong enough to empty the water filter jar so I did that manually. Also the fresh water tank is empty. My water pump does not stop pumping at this point, all faucets are shut off, is this normal?

Still trying to Winterize my rig!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #117
Mostly Harmless

Yes, it's normal when there's no water in the lines. The pump shuts off when it senses back pressure resulting from the line being full of water with no place to go. According to the pump maker, these pumps can run dry without damage, though I still keep those times rare and short. Sounds like you're getting well battened down for winter.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #118
Rockwood Premier A126

Quote:
Have you stored your rig without moving them for more than 5 months?
I believe the longest our aframe has sat in one position is about 4 months, but we keep our trailers stored inside. Even so, winter weather here in the Midwest US is not extended & extreme like in Canada... Go with your gut on this.

Quote:
I'm using the info you post about the water line blow out process. I did the bypass hot water tank step. I turned on the water pump and got more water out from the faucets. It was not strong enough to empty the water filter jar so I did that manually.

Still trying to Winterize my rig!
A project to consider is, either this fall or in the spring while your aframe is not in use, remove/bypass the water filter all together.
We take milk jugs of water for coffee and use bottled water (both bought and also filled from home) for drinking. We never installed the filter cartridge anyway.

Gary plumbed a bypass which removed the filter jar. This freed up space under the sink and also eliminated one step of the winterizing process.

In our situation the filter was not used. You may feel, the way you use your water system, filtering the water is necessary.

In case you are interested, here are a couple of photos of his work:

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1
Yes, it's normal when there's no water in the lines. The pump shuts off when it senses back pressure resulting from the line being full of water with no place to go. According to the pump maker, these pumps can run dry without damage, though I still keep those times rare and short. Sounds like you're getting well battened down for winter.
Thank you for this information. I was about to conclude that my water pump is weak and cannot build enough air pressure to stop. This is what happens too when my water runs out the pump keeps going. I'm glad to know that the water pump does not get damage if it keeps going for several hours.

I think I have completed the blow out process and I'll skip the antifreeze in the water lines. The sink drain has antifreeze.

This worries me, why no water pass the low point valves. Here is a pic of my valves, I twist both ways and no water came out: is that normal?

Name:	image-658007060.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	20925
When the switch is in this position(pic) the water pump does not stop pumping even when the tanks are full. Twist it (parallel to the pipe) and the water pump stops and water flow is normal, this position is how I have it in camping.

Winterizing almost done!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #120
Mostly Harmless

The low point valves are pull-up valves, unless they've changed in the newer models. Turning them wouldn't open them, so gently lift the handles, slowly applying increased pull, until the T-handles pop up. I'm advising caution because it looks to me like one could break off the T-handles by jerking them up. You'll want to open the sink faucet to let some air in the lines while the low point valves are open. There shouldn't be much water coming out by this time after you've already got so much out.

You mention another switch and picture but I don't see that one. Did it get left off your post?
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator

Tags
a128, a128s, aliner