Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 02:26 PM   #1

A213HW Configuration Option Questions

My wife and I are in our 60's and have backpacked and tent camped all our lives but we are both beyond sleeping on the ground anymore so have been researching small to medium sized campers. We are interested in the Rockwood hardsided A-frames and the A213HW looks like it meets most of our needs. We like dispersed (dry) camping, in the forests and deserts some of the time also, so I am interested in the A213HWOR and A213HWESP models as well. I have looked at the factory website and downloaded brochures on these models but I'm still not clear on some of the configurations.

Some questions:

1. Does the A213HWOR and A213HWESP models come with the built in Cassette toilet?
If not then is it practical to purchase a standalone Cassette toilet that can be place inside for the night?

2. Is the off-road package just the 15" tires and rims or are there also other suspension or lift features?

3. Can taller 15" or 16" inch tires/rims be fitted to the A213HW trailer to give it the same off-road capability as the A213HWOR or A213HWESP?

4. Will dirt roads with washboards tear this trailer apart?

5. I see some A213HW models with the front dormer and some without, what are the details on this?
I think I prefer to not have the dormer since it just seems like more areas to leak and break.

6. I see some models with 3 burner stove and some with 2 burner?
I prefer just two burner stove.

7. I am reading about quality control problems across the RV manufacturing industry starting in 2020 due to pandemic related issues.
Would it be better to buy used 2019 or earlier model years to avoid problems and long delivery?
Any model years that are better than other years or have updates/features that are worth considering?
Wanderen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #2

[QUOTE=Wanderen;2638287]My wife and I are in our 60's and have backpacked and tent camped all our lives but we are both beyond sleeping on the ground anymore so have been researching small to medium sized campers. We are interested in the Rockwood hardsided A-frames and the A213HW looks like it meets most of our needs. We like dispersed (dry) camping, in the forests and deserts some of the time also, so I am interested in the A213HWOR and A213HWESP models as well. I have looked at the factory website and downloaded brochures on these models but I'm still not clear on some of the configurations.

Some questions:

Screws will loosen or pop out, some you'll find on the floor and not know where they came from; the stove or sink may pop out; and you'll find separation at the corners of the RV inside that will have to be re-caulked. Leaks may appear and have to be tracked down and re-caulked. The weatherstripping will degrade and require replacement, as will the bungee cords that connect the roof panels.

5. I see some A213HW models with the front dormer and some without, what are the details on this?

I have the dormer and wish I didn't. It makes the roof section too heavy to lift yourself when the actuator breaks. Also, if you're towing with an SUV you can't see behind you as well as w/o the dormer.

7. I am reading about quality control problems across the RV manufacturing industry starting in 2020 due to pandemic related issues.

The new models, as I understand it, have two upgraded actuators instead of one old type, which is definitely worth considering. I'm on my third at the moment.

Good luck with your decision.
Bruce
Old 09-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #3

Thanks for input. It appears this trailer has limited off-road capabilities and should stay on paved roads.

Hopefully some others can share their experience/knowledge and answer the other questions.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

We have the Flagstaff version - 2019 T21TBHW - with the dormer. The dormer makes the dinnette and toilet much more functional, and makes the camper feel twice the size of our previous A122. We are both less than 6ft so that helps.

Towing with a FWD minivan, we are limited in off-road capabilities. In Colorado, I restricted us to the 2nd level of unpaved roads. Our unit has held up quite well. I'm sure storing in a garage between trips helps a lot.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Kia Carnival minivan
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:07 AM   #5

3. Can taller 15" or 16" inch tires/rims be fitted to the A213HW trailer to give it the same off-road capability as the A213HWOR or A213HWESP?

You’ll need to lift the trailer to give it room for larger tires. As noted above, A+frames aren’t meant for serious off-road use.

Regarding quality of new trailers, our 2021 Flagstaff has been great! If you’re anywhere near Denver Colorado, I’d highly recommend Robert’s Sales. They’ve been great to deal with (we actually drove from SoCal to purchase from them and it was well worth it for price and service). There web site also has a lot of A-frame info (they carry the Flagstaff line but all Forest Rivers are pretty much the same.
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #6

I received a reply from Forest River Sales contact and was informed that the A213HWOR and ESP trailers with the 15 inch rim/tires also have a 2-5/8" lift.
Not sure if this lift space is welded in to the axle/frame or if it is something that can be bolted in later on a standard (non-lifted) A213HW.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Happy Camper

We love our A frame camper. Just like your tow vehicle, if you want your camper or car to take of you, you must take of them. We go back in the mountains all the time. The camper has good clearance. We did change out the bed for full extra long, our backs and parts say thank you. Have fun
Willy2ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #8

If your going to order a new A Frame, my advise is to have no windows on the roof. Many issues with the plastic bubble windows cracking.
My bubble window cracked and leaked, so i I got with my dealer and told him order me 2 roof pieces with no windows.
3 months later i had new roof, of course this was before the virus.
Forest River helped out with some of the cost..
Bill
Billk28078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderen View Post
I received a reply from Forest River Sales contact and was informed that the A213HWOR and ESP trailers with the 15 inch rim/tires also have a 2-5/8" lift.
Not sure if this lift space is welded in to the axle/frame or if it is something that can be bolted in later on a standard (non-lifted) A213HW.
We have an "OR" model so I looked under the frame and snapped a picture where it attaches to the axle. (Sorry the picture is rotated, I forgot the forum always makes pics horizontal.) There is a piece of square tubing maybe 2 feet long welded in between the frame rail and axle attach point. There are heavy tabs that stick down vertically and are bolted in front of and behind the axle. You could retro-fit a non-OR model by lifting the frame off the axle, cutting the tabs off the original frame, welding in a piece of square tubing, and then re-welding the tabs onto the new piece. Definitely doable but not a small project and would require someone who knows structural welding.

We don't do any king of serious off roading with ours, but it is nice sometimes to have the extra ground clearance, such as a steep driveway.

Also, if you have not talked with a dealer yet, our experience was that factory options and models they are building are very limited. My advice for choosing a dealer is make sure they have a good service dept and it's a location not too far to bring back for service. Due to high demand, some dealers have gone to servicing what they sell ONLY. And as you suggest in your original post, it's is pretty much a sure thing that there will be some minor faults out of the factory that will need to be corrected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1716.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	263701  
Old 10-05-2021, 12:46 AM   #10

I hear ya. Rockwood does not provide a lot of information on pretty much ANY of the details on the A213HWOR. I've been waiting 6 months for mine and only got it a few weeks ago so I'll do my best to answer your questions on that Model.

1. Does the A213HWOR and A213HWESP models come with the built in Cassette toilet?
Mine came with a cassette toilet however it is just in a box. There is no toilet closet like the A213HW. That was sacrificed for a larger dining table/full-sized bed.

2. Is the off-road package just the 15" tires and rims or are there also other suspension or lift features?
No upgrade on suspension but does have a welded-in lift kit. I read it was a 1" lift but it looks like 2".

I'm not certain but I do know you can buy a bolt-on lift kit from Forest River if you want to do a lift on the A213HW.

Can't say just yet but I did do a little bit of dirt road action this weekend on my campers maiden trip. I did not experience anything negative on that front.

I think I prefer to not have the dormer since it just seems like more areas to leak and break.
I haven't seen a A213HW w/o a dormer myself. I like mine though. you're right, it's another possible fail point but it really does add to the overall feel of roomyness in the camper. One downside, it does make it does add to the overall height of the camper by about 5-6 inches. On my 2018 Silverado, I can not see beyond the front of the camper when I look at my back window. I imagine w/o the lift and dormer I might see just over it when looking through the review.

6. I see some models with 3 burner stove and some with 2 burner?
I prefer just two burner stove.
My A213HWOR has a 2 burner

Would it be better to buy used 2019 or earlier model years to avoid problems and long delivery?
Any model years that are better than other years or have updates/features that are worth considering?
There have been a few obvious QC problems I've picked up on with my camper. The bones and overall construction seem solid, however, the cabinetry and material used were of a breathtaking level of incompetence. If I was Forest River I'd find new management and QC in that department. I spent a weekend reinforcing and replacing much of the bed frame's wood and repairing cabinetry.

I hope that all helps man. It's a tough decision when you're talking about dropping a bunch of cash on a little camper like this. The things I love about mine so far though:
  • Tows awesome
  • Set up is a breeze compared to pop-up tent campers
  • It's minimalistic and simple, only including the amenities I need/want
  • I don't have to ever have to deal with someone else's waste liquids
  • Bears won't eat me when I'm sleeping in it
  • It's comfortable to sleep in
  • I can campsite hop with ease
  • That bubble window above the bed lets me look at the stars as I fall asleep
  • It has a TON of storage
  • Most of all it allows me to spend more time doing the stuff I want (like fishing) instead of setting up/taking down a tent, inflating/rolling sleeping pads, stuffing sleeping bags, hanging/locking away food because of bears, and packing my truck or SUV with all that crap. My first time out this past weekend was in a primitive camp spot. I had my camper leveled unhitched, opened, and ready to sleep in or cook in within 10 minutes.

My only big consideration was getting a bigger camper. Not huge, but bigger. Like a Geo Pro 19 footer... but then I gotta deal with dumping gray water tanks and black water tanks, and all the little additional complications and it basically turns into a little home on wheels with all the problems and maintenance included. I wanted to keep it simple.
Sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, questions