Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

A214HW/ A213HW table trouble

These two models of campers have tables in the center of the RV. They have a bracket that the table hooks to on the side of the camper. It's similar to the bracket that holds the barbecue on the outside of the camper. The unfortunate thing, is that it seems to be poorly connected to the wall. Mine is already so loose it seems like it's going to fall off. I have seen some suggestions to use aftermarket tables instead of the one supplied with the camper. I tried that but then there's no room for my legs. My wife and I are freakishly tall. I wonder if anyone has come up with a better way to attach the table to the wall?
steve02bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve02bat View Post
These two models of campers have tables in the center of the RV. They have a bracket that the table hooks to on the side of the camper. It's similar to the bracket that holds the barbecue on the outside of the camper. The unfortunate thing, is that it seems to be poorly connected to the wall. Mine is already so loose it seems like it's going to fall off. I have seen some suggestions to use aftermarket tables instead of the one supplied with the camper. I tried that but then there's no room for my legs. My wife and I are freakishly tall. I wonder if anyone has come up with a better way to attach the table to the wall?
https://goo.gl/images/uXTsTN
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
OYO

They must have changed the table configuration since we got ours (2016). The table didn't attach to the wall. It was freestanding/folding.

However several folks (including me) modified it to a pedestal design much like you might see on a boat. Fixes the legroom issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...od-115706.html
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
They must have changed the table configuration since we got ours (2016). The table didn't attach to the wall. It was freestanding/folding.

However several folks (including me) modified it to a pedestal design much like you might see on a boat. Fixes the legroom issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...od-115706.html
Great mod, thanks for sharing. Wish I had as much space as that!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

We had the same problem....

After the first outing with our new A214HW we had the same problem with several of the table bracket screws stripping out of the minimal material in the wall. I took the table bracket off the wall and installed anchors and larger screws and haven't had any problems since.

Cheers,
Ugorico
ugorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugorico View Post
After the first outing with our new A214HW we had the same problem with several of the table bracket screws stripping out of the minimal material in the wall. I took the table bracket off the wall and installed anchors and larger screws and haven't had any problems since.

Cheers,
Ugorico
But you install anchors in the wall? That's very interesting and sounds like the way to go. May I ask what kind of anchors you used?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
OYO

You may be able to find some studs (i use that term loosely) in the front wall by tapping on it listening for sound variations and secure the mounting rail better. Forest River has been known to miss them while attaching items.

Or I suppose a stud finder would work. But the paneling is so thin they're pretty easy to find.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
You may be able to find some studs (i use that term loosely) in the front wall by tapping on it listening for sound variations and secure the mounting rail better. Forest River has been known to miss them while attaching items.

Or I suppose a stud finder would work. But the paneling is so thin they're pretty easy to find.
So what you mention about the stud got me thinking. My table attaches to the side so there probably isn't any wood in there. So I called Forest River in case anyone needs to call Forest River you call Tim at 574-642-8944 for service questions. Anyway Tim told me there is a piece of metal in the wall for the screws to hit. He suggested I look for that with a magnet. It will be giving that a try this weekend. I will report back.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #9

We bought a separate table that is adjustable (height). It is smaller than the original. We don't use the dinette for a bed and the smaller table gives us a little extra floor space.
RobnCari is offline   Reply With Quote