Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
jdshep

A214HW Plumbing

Hello everyone,

We just bought an A-Frame pop-up. Got the A214HW because it has a bathroom. Until now, I didn't realize that it has no gray water holding tank for the shower. What are people doing if you are at a campground without full hook ups? I have no issues with a short hose and bucket for the kitchen sink, but the shower water is something that most, if not all, campgrounds won't let you just drain to the ground.

Oh, and one question... the camper has a fresh water holding tank. Where is the water pump and how do I turn it on?

Thank you all!
jdshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #2

Take showers at night?
My water pump is located under the sink in cabinet with switch located nearby behind the cabinet door.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #3

I use a home depot 5 gal bucket under shower drain. I pour the gray water down the sewer hook up. If boondocking, I water the desert. Ok in my Nevada campgrounds.

My water pump switch is under the dinette seat nearest the sink.

I have the 2018 A214HW. Love it.
Chewy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

We also have an A214HW. The water filter and pump are under the bed on the driver's side. You will find a plywood cover held over them with two screws. I recommend removing the screws and tossing them since the plywood can't really go anywhere. Makes it easier to maintain the filter.

The switch is under the water heater switch on the box under the front bench seat. You can't miss them. The power converter is on the outside and the switches are where your legs go under the table.

You can use an Aquatainer on the shower side just like you do on the sink side. Using a hand shower actually doesn't use that much water so a 7 gallon is probably enough per shower. We actually don't use our inside shower because we learned a long time ago that once you take a hot shower in the trailer you spend all day with the A/C (or heat pump in our case) trying to get the humidity out This is our fourth RV in approximately 30 years. And my DW refuses to boondock so we always stay where there are facilities.
TrailerTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
jdshep

Thank you everyone! Learned something new... Aquatainer. Will check into that.
jdshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #6

We picked up the Camco Rhino 15 gallon rolling waste water container. It has two inlets so it connects to the shower drain with a short hose and to the sink with a longer one run under the camper. No opinion yet, though, as we've only used it once so far.

GM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #7

Forget the Rhino I mentioned earlier — wrong shape and not enough pressure from either water source to get into the tank. We solved our gray water problem on the road for $20 at Home Depot with two 5-gallon buckets, a handful of rubber grommets, a drill, and some hose cut to length.

The shower drains into the side of the bucket just a few inches below the lip, due to height:

And the sink drains into the top:

GM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Hated the idea of having to use a container to capture grey water when I am at a camp ground that offers full hookups, so I fixed the problem. I added 1-1/2” pvc pipe to the existing shower drain pipe to turn the water towards the opposite side of the trailer. Then I connected it to a 3” pvc pipe adding the sew connector to the end. This allows my shower water to drain directly to the sewer (image shown has a garden hose connected because I am currently at a camp site with no sewer and capturing in a hydroller container.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	233165Attachment 1

It really works great.
Thingswesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #9

A214HW Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingswesaw View Post
Hated the idea of having to use a container to capture grey water when I am at a camp ground that offers full hookups, so I fixed the problem. I added 1-1/2” pvc pipe to the existing shower drain pipe to turn the water towards the opposite side of the trailer. Then I connected it to a 3” pvc pipe adding the sew connector to the end. This allows my shower water to drain directly to the sewer (image shown has a garden hose connected because I am currently at a camp site with no sewer and capturing in a hydroller container.
Attachment 233165Attachment 1

It really works great.

Trailer sewer pipe parts

1. J-bend sink trap 1 1/2 in
2. 2 in x 1-1/2 in bushing
3. 1-1/2 in ABS cleanest adapter
4. 1-1/2 in ABS pipe 5 ft long
5. 3 in x 1-1/2 in ABS coupling
6. 3 in ABS pipe cut to length about 12-18 in
7. Val terry black T1092-2 termination adapter 3” slip hub round on Amazon.com
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg