Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

Accessing a leaking valve

Hello all, Is is my very first question post, but along time reader. I have a leak in what I think is the electric valve on a C-200 Thetford cassette toilet in my A213 HW Rockwood. When I turned on the water pump to prep for summer camping, I encountered a flood of antifreeze and water. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to access the area of the leak so I can assess where the leak is actually coming from to fix or replace the part. How can I disassemble the unit of access the problem area.
Thetford has not returned my calls or emails. Can anyone offer advice?
Thanks

Aframe Tom
Aframe Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

Tom, in the cassette compartment accessible from outside, do the following: remove the cassette holding tank. In the now empty compartment, examine the white pex fitting to the electric valve in the upper left corner. Is there a leak? Touch it to see if it's wet. Now have someone from the inside press the flush button while you watch what's going on in the compartment (use a bucket to catch the flush water while you observe). If there is a leak from the pex fitting, see if it's loose and hand tighten it if necessary. If it still leaks, replace it. To do this, cut the pex hose as close to the fitting as possible. Unscrew the fitting and remove it. It is a standard pex fitting available at many big-box hardware stores. That is the most likely problem which also happened to me.

If there's still a leak in the system, the next thing to check are the stop valves under the bench seat next to the fridge. Lift the plywood board and check for dampness. If that's it, let me know and I can walk you through the fix for that. At the very least you can shut off the flush water from there easily until you can deal with it. You won't have flush water but you won't have a leak either.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #3

A frame Tom

Bruce thanks for the reply. I have isolated the area of the leak but I cannot visually determine what part of the toilet is actually leaking. I know that the leak is located in the area above the opening of the bowl. I cannot see the parts that are there by looking at the area with the cassette removed from the unit. Do you know how to access the that area?
Aframe Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #4

It's unclear to me whether you're describing a leak from running water under pressure or not. If the former, shut off the stop valve under the seat as mentioned previously. If that doesn't help, it could be a leaky seal, perhaps the gasket on the holding tank itself which connects to the bowl. It is known to wear out and leak but fortunately is very easy to replace; they sell them on eBay. If you suspect it's that gasket, apply some petroleum jelly or plumbers' wax to it to see if that (temporarily) seals it. If it does, you'll know to replace the gasket before it leaks again. If it doesn't, at the least it could help isolate the problem.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #5
OYO

Hey Tom (or anyone), did you figure out a way to get to the leak?

I can see it, but can't get to it. It's about to drip in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221014-080400_Gallery.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	280419  
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #6
OYO

I should have been more specific. This is for a Thetford C200 Cassette toilet.

The supply line is leaking below the bowl, but above the cassette housing. Basically you have to take the whole thing apart.

Video: https://youtu.be/lYRY57HGEkI
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, valve