Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #1

AFrame - Bungie Cord Fast Fix

The todo list is getting longer and departure for first camp is soon. . . .

I had two bungie cords, one each side of the roof, that are close to coming apart.

I stretched the long section and it overlapped the short section by two inches.

Used a sewing awl to stitch across the two ends, thru the doubled thickness of bungies. Once down and then up. Tied it off with a knot.

There are now 4 bungies carrying the load of raising and lowering the roof.

It may be a temporary fix, but that's OK by me.

(an alternate temp fix could be to lash the two broken ends together, until a correct fix can be accomplished)

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:50 PM   #2

Interesting. I was actually wondering about this recently. I was looking for some kind of metal crimp connector - similar to what is used to attach the hook at each end of a fastening bungee cord - to repair a break. Couldn't find anything on Amazon, anyway.

I replaced both of my cords just two years ago and one of them is already wearing thin at the lower end.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:24 PM   #3

If you have gas struts on the rear roof section, or use the electric lift, the bungees don't really do anything except preventing the roof sections from separating if something goes wrong. With the rear struts or electric lift, the rear roof pushes the front roof up, and the struts or lift prevent the rear roof from falling on the bungees.

Just sayin'. I went on 2 trips last Fall with one of the bungees broken with no ill effects.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, ram