Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

AFrame Project -- Window Screen Covers

Onto the next project.........all ideas welcome......

I want to create a rain cover for my side window screens. After all, not all rain falls perfectly vertically.

I was thinking about a strip of velcro across screen top with slight wood wedges down the sides of the screen, attached at the top and bottom corners of screen. Then velcro a piece of parachute type material across the wood wedges and also attached at top of screen. My covering would have 0" clearance at the screen top and 2-3" of clearance for air flow at the bottom of the screen.

Another poster had seen reference to using velcro across the screen top but with some kind of suction cup attachment at screen's lower corners. If this idea pans out, the window covering could be angled out to cover an area wider than the screen itself.

Other suggestion...using poles to hold covering away from the trailer side, but I have enough poles already and wanted to keep the solution small for easy storage. I really do not want to use poles.

Your thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks,
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

I like your idea, it is simpler than my thoughts which revolved around making the canopy stand out more. Simple is better. Instead of wood, PVC pipe might be less likely to stain the fabric when wet.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

A simple tarp should do the trick. I placed a hook on top of the frame to tie the tarp, the pic will show you the shade I get from the tarp
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2973918183.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	34067
The tarp is 20x15, I plan to put this on to cover my screen room. If you use a smaller tarp, it should be good enough for your purpose. For added protection from rain, you could use Velcro to attach the tarp along the Aframe.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Seems to work!
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Neil, I found a photo of awnings on an Aframe. If you're still looking for inspiration I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-342116094.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	35301  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

looks very professionally done. someone did a veery good job. would be nice to see closer photos.

strange....the plastic rod goes from the awning bottom to the window but doesn't seem to anchor there, but instead, runs upward and outward to the aframe's aluminum edge.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Mostly Harmless

I wondered about that too. I decided it must fasten there somehow, maybe by transitioning to something flat and thin enough to tuck under the roof edging. Or maybe to suction cups. There was no explanation, nor did I see another picture of the setup, and I've lost the link I had. It was posted on the "alinerchaletaframes" group, one of the Yahoo Groups. I see a lot of postings there of workarounds for problems, how-tos including complete rebuilds, and mods folks have made. No charge to join and they don't ask what brand you have or even if you have an Aframe at all. You do need a free Yahoo account.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

The only thought I have: maybe they are for horizontal stability during heavier winds?