Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Mostly Harmless

This is an interesting story; a couple whose a-frame unit was blown apart in a windstorm. http://alinerownersclub.org/camping/...dventure-2009/

Not to scare us but to teach us all caution. Thought you'd be interested. I'm not sure if you have to register in that forum to see the item or not.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

wow!...I know the spot in the camper I'll be in when a storm hits.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #3

The wind can do serious damage to any camper at any time. We all just have to practice safe camping habits and even then, it may be of no use. Case in point, last summer the DW and I where out campnig when a storm came up with some pretty good winds. A 36' fiver was blown over on it's side, no one inside was hurt. No other camper in the campground recieved any damage. Go figure that one out. As for me, if the wind worries me, I will try to close up the A Frame or point it into the wind. May help and then again it may not.
Thanks for the info, something to keep in mind when I'm out camping, like next week.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Mostly Harmless

From reading their story, the sink-side A wall blew in first, which points to a failure of the sidewall latches on that side. They were lucky not to be struck by it. Then the roof opened, releasing the other a-wall which blew outward. I don't know if the Aliner latches are different from FRs or not but in any case they're critical. For me, besides taking down the unit if it's really bad, which is probably the best idea, if a storm's coming I'll use the cargo bar from my TV as a brace between the sidewalls up near the peak.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #5

This story is all over the Aliner forums, and has spawned cable systems, high wind kits, painter rods that push the outside walls towards the outside, lag bolts in the roof sides, and so on .. and so on. Logic rules here. Like any fold up trailer, you have to park them on a fairly sheltered area, away from swaying trees and point the bumper end of the trailer towards the prevailing winds. Carry a weather radio and be prepared to drop it before a deep weather system gets too crazy.

I would never stay in our Aframe if i saw tow trailers and 5ths swaying ..

d-m

Tags
aliner