RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #181

Had my actuator fail on my 2017, I bought it used (1 month old and for a LOT less than new!!) and because of that it's not under warranty. I don't need the actuator and am just looking to add a gas cylinder to take up some of the weight. Popping up the roof is simple enough without the electric stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has figured out a compatable gas cylinder/spring that could bolt right on. These do come with one when they don't have the actuator correct?

First post BTW!!

A122BH. =D
BEEAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post
Had my actuator fail on my 2017, I bought it used (1 month old and for a LOT less than new!!) and because of that it's not under warranty. I don't need the actuator and am just looking to add a gas cylinder to take up some of the weight. Popping up the roof is simple enough without the electric stuff.

Just wondering if anyone has figured out a compatable gas cylinder/spring that could bolt right on. These do come with one when they don't have the actuator correct?

First post BTW!!

A122BH. =D
Welcome to the forum. Yes someone did post one in here somewhere :-) about doing that. You might have to search for it though. OYO might know.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #183

Using one of physics basic tool

For less than $10.00 works even if your battery is dead.

https://youtu.be/ie-wkKsMDIc

Works on my A124S which I was going to get rid of if I couldn't find an easy way to lift the roof.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2 V6 factory tow package with WDH.
camrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #184

Quote:

First post BTW!!

A122BH. =D
Search under "A-Frame Aluminum Frame Buckles"
I can't copy and link you to it for some reason.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
Search under "A-Frame Aluminum Frame Buckles"
I can't copy and link you to it for some reason.
If I search that, the only thing that comes up is this thread(if I use quotation marks). I've read every page of this thread and didn't see any mention of that gas cylinder already.

I'm sure i can just ask the dealer, I think I'm just going to measure the collapsed distance and the open distance on the roof and find one online that has the range and correct mount.
BEEAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #186
OYO

Quote:
If I search that, the only thing that comes up is this thread(if I use quotation marks). I've read every page of this thread and didn't see any mention of that gas cylinder already.

I'm sure i can just ask the dealer, I think I'm just going to measure the collapsed distance and the open distance on the roof and find one online that has the range and correct mount.
I think this is the thread Monty was referring to:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ir-151967.html

I'd look into this if my windy nation ever failed. But so far so good since Feb '17.

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 AM   #187

BEEHA try: A-Frame Aluminum Edging Buckles its from 3 Feb 2018 it talks about using the numatic type lifts. I can't capy and past the topic.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #188

A-Frame Aluminium edging warps/roof panel buckled.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #189
OYO

MONTY,

The picture MICKROCK referenced in the thread you mentioned:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-152469-3.html

was originally from the one I linked above:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ir-151967.html

To many actuator threads.

Craig
Old 05-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #190

Yep on the way toooo many actuator posts.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #191

Well, fortunately, our aframe was still under its one year warranty and Forest River very promptly replaced the actuator assembly. I disassembled the old one and found that there was a substantial amount of rust and rusty water. Firgelli Automations appears to have a reasonably priced 30" actuator for future reference. Our plan is not to replace it again. We are going to make a conical 'umbrella' where the sections join using black duct tape and hopefully, the water won't get in there.
cspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 AM   #192
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspanky View Post
Well, fortunately, our aframe was still under its one year warranty and Forest River very promptly replaced the actuator assembly. I disassembled the old one and found that there was a substantial amount of rust and rusty water. Firgelli Automations appears to have a reasonably priced 30" actuator for future reference. Our plan is not to replace it again. We are going to make a conical 'umbrella' where the sections join using black duct tape and hopefully, the water won't get in there.
sspanky, if you look at posts in this thread starting at #155 you'll see a cheap and easy solution to the water issue. I'm quite confident it works.

Good luck.

Craig
Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
sspanky, if you look at posts in this thread starting at #155 you'll see a cheap and easy solution to the water issue. I'm quite confident it works.

Good luck.
I'm going to put your solution into place this week, OYO.

I also got to digging around, and found these dust and water resistant units. Has anyone heard of these?

https://www.firgelliauto.com/product...specifications
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #194

I am now convinced

that the best way to keep the actuator dry is use it for the one minute that it takes to raise the roof panels, and to store it in the storage compartment the rest of the time. Just returned from a trip and I did just that, and felt good about putting away the actuator after raising the roof. Of course, this requires quick release mounting, and I use a 4 pin trailer plug for the power. I wrote about this elsewhere, maybe in the earlier pages of this thread, or another.
I am glad that the lowering part still works as originally designed, fast and reliable.

Happy camping!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #195

I think I'm liking that idea.

It's not a new concept to ATV'rs, as it's common to keep a winch encased until time of need. It only makes sense to keep your more delicate components out of the elements as much as possible.

My replacement will be here Friday, replacing the one from my 194HW that broke down the day after I brought it home from the dealership 2 1/2 hours away. I just don't feel like dying on this particular hill.

When it gets here, I'll pull the mounts, cut off the original bolt style pins, and weld on a piece of steel with a hole for a cotter key.

I'll try to find some manner of disconnect plug, and I'll be good to go. I'll just keep the darned thing in the front storage compartment.

I like this compromise.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #196

New Actuator

Forest River has replaced the old units in 2017 or 2018.

The Linear Brand Actuator Rockwood p/n 301727 replaces Rieco p/n F100037918

It is now attached via a solar panel quick disconnect - great idea. New units direct from Forest River are $230 USD including the connector. Easy to retrofit and replace.

For those that ask how you can manually operate the roof remove the top nut on the actuator and with assistance you can raise the roof.

I also have to say though it works well it is slower with the new Linear actuator than with the Titan.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #197
Not a newbie

I've used Firgelli products for other non-rv projects, and they work well. Good tech help too.
Johnfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #198

Thumbs up

OK can't let this thread die!

I bought a barely used Flagstaff 21DMHW about 2 months ago. It's a 2017 and it looks like it (thankfully) has the new type of actuator Spike56 describes. However, the previous owner stored it outside, and I had it opened and exposed for the first several weeks after the shakedown camping trip, during which it rained a lot. Now after reading this entire thread, I decided to take off the cable that screws into the bottom of the motor. Lo and behold, out came a bunch of brown-tinted water. I took a can of compressed air and blew it out from below, got more brownish water to flow out. I think I've got it dried out pretty good now. I've already squirted some liquid wrench down the shaft where it enters the enclosure, so that might have added to the greasy water. But water nonetheless, and I think all the posts here about these things going out due to water intrusion and the resulting rust/corrosion of the motor is spot on.

So, I'm hoping I "caught" the problem in time, and with enough vigilance and preventative maintenance, I can elude premature failure of my actuator, and it will work fine and last a long time. One question I have, would anyone recommend spraying some lubricant up into the motor before I reattach the cable, or just leave it dry? I have some industrial strength penetrant that's supposed to displace moisture and prevent corrosion.

"When you have no idea where you're going, you will never be lost."
bogotabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #199

Not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegKen View Post
Found out that FR sells a "roof actuator" that lifts the Aframe roof at the push of a button. It supposedly can be installed on existing Aframe models.
Does anyone have a roof actuator on their Aframe and if so, how well does it work? (The photo below shows the actuator installed on an Aframe. It's not mine!)
Thanks!
Attachment 87175

I have the 21FKHW and I took my actuator off since it sounded like it was an old man trying to get up out of a chair and I'm not waiting on the actuator for a minute and a half when I can raise it by hand in 10 seconds.
If you are out and it fails, you are in trouble. You have to have a full 12 volts and some people have noted that they needed to be hooked up to shore power to make it work at all.

I ordered two gas struts and put them on the rear roof to assist in hand raising the roof and it's been great.
They are only about 21 inches long and each provides 30 pounds of lift or 60 pounds total assistance.

I have a short 3 foot ladder (I'm only 5'-9'' and am 67 years of age) I stand on and simply raise it by hand with absolutely no issue at all.

I can pull into a space level the unit and have all the walls up and ready in 10 minutes including leveling.

I have the unit that is a heavier roof system since I have the 'pop out roof section' above the front kitchen. Some pop out roof section they put on the ones with a bathroom in them.

Don't waste your time with an actuator. Get the two struts and have a friend install them with you and you'll be better off especially if the actuator goes out on a camping trip.

Just my 2 cents worth. I can send a pic of the two rear struts if you'd like.

Stephen

fpsw69@gmail.com
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #200

Can you include a photo showing where you attached the gas struts please. I just ordered a 214HW with shower and don't want to run into trouble when I reach a campsite a few weeks down the road.
Roymac
royboy334 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof