RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #161
OYO

Just want to add that I appreciate all the input from folks working through this issue. I'm a retired software engineer and the only thing I miss about my job is this kind of corroboration.

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
and fixes on top of improvements,
and preventive maintenance on top of fixes and improvements,
has me somewhat concerned.

I have been using grease on the actuator rod, although I have wondered what
happens when the rod raises. That would probably remove most of the "grease seal".

So, I also like Oyo's idea, and will make the same.

We will persevere until we make this perfect. Somebody should, anyway.

Now, I am testing my actuator periodically, just to make sure it is working.

And, given lots of thought to all options, I have a spare actuator on the way.
Just in case...
It stinks that we have to go through all of this just to keep a product working when it is supposed to be designed for exactly this task. My original stopped working and when I took it apart found the gear box rusted. Used liquid wrench to b break it free and it is now working again. My Windy Nation actuator also stopped working durine the winter. Used a blow dryer on the motor/gear box, water drained out when I turned it upside down and it worked fine. I think it has been suggested before but I am tempted to drill a small bleed hole in the bottom of the gear box to let accumulating water to bleed out. Has anyone tried it?
boatman811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #163

A-frame roof actuator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Girl View Post
Timfuji, we had the same problem but, only used ours once. Not sure how often the dealer had used it before we purchased. We had to replace ours and are lucky we got a local dealer to help us. It's actually faster to set up without it but, it's nice to have when your older and short. I hope it's not an on going problem for us.
Our first actuator on the 2015 192HW failed in less than a year but was replaced under warranty. The second one has failed and the motor was full of water. Was able to raise and lower manually, Just added a WindyNation 30 inch actuator from Amazon for a little over $100.00 and it works great It is a little longer so had to move the lower bracket down to the lower screw holes and drill two new holes then was fine.
wethomasii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #164

A frame newbie here. Just how do you manually raise the roof on a new A122HW if/when needed?
How We Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #165

The trick to these things is to use them regularly. Don't let them sit.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:07 AM   #166

How We Roll - disconnect the motor then the nut on the roof to remove the lift.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #167

Electric Extender Massively Underpowered!

We recently purchased a new Rockwood A214HW w/ an electric extender. We previously had an older hard wall tent trailer; manual setup.

We just returned from a 2-1/2 week holiday to the Pacific NW. We thoroughly enjoyed the trailer with the exception of the crappy electric extender! Whereas one person could set up the old unit, it now takes two people to set up up the new unit. One person to press the Extend switch and one person to help the underpowered electric extender raise the roof. Without assistance the electric extender simply stalls and would probably burnout if you held down the switch!

Very POOR engineering of this worse than cheap electric "assistant"!

Has anyone found a good alternative to this useless Forest River extender, short of throwing it in the garbage and going back to manually erecting the unit?

Not at all impressed!

bwa
bwallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by A214HW View Post
I have an A214HW less than a year old and of course, it has a failed actuator.
I have the same unit about two months old and the extender will no longer lift the roof. Looks to be on the way out after 12 lift activations. Pretty crappy extender to install on an expensive unit!

I've talked to my local dealer and they have no option other than replacing the extender with the same model (and little promise it will work better!).

I'm looking at 3rd party options or simply going back to manual setup which worked well on my previous unit.

bwa
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #169

I feel your frustration especially when you buy a new camper with something that doesn't work. After spending weeks in the dealers shop to repair damage to the roof from the roof assist, I removed it and now do it manually. It is faster and not that big of deal, at least I won't be doing any more damage to the roof or the roof side edges.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
I feel your frustration especially when you buy a new camper with something that doesn't work. After spending weeks in the dealers shop to repair damage to the roof from the roof assist, I removed it and now do it manually. It is faster and not that big of deal, at least I won't be doing any more damage to the roof or the roof side edges.
Just really annoying that a so called reputable company would do such a crappy job designing an electric extender. Really makes you wonder about the quality of the remainder of the unit!?

bwa
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwallan View Post
Just really annoying that a so called reputable company would do such a crappy job designing an electric extender. Really makes you wonder about the quality of the remainder of the unit!?

bwa

I have the QB21 and have zero problems over multiple openings. I give it a little push when it starts. The motor's biggest enemy is water. If they unused sit in wet or humid areas the windings can seize.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #172

2 cents to the new group - from 1 of the old group.

A few of us put some ideas together over a year ago, as we were some of the
first owners to have "lift issues". Our posts still exist, although way back in the
earlier pages of this thread.

We went with various custom installs of the Windy Nation 30" actuator, and have
had different degrees of success. I am still lucky, as my install is working fine,
with upper and lower limits in use, and no issues. But, I did buy a spare actuator,
although it is still in its box. That purchase came about after reading about all of
the problems still taking place.

The most common problem is water entry into the drive motor. We have posted
solutions that help with that issue.

I have a 2013 model that I have done some mods on, and it is all working fine.

I was impressed with the new models having dormers, and their added room.
After seeing the higher prices of the new models, and realizing that I would
have to do some, or much, work on the new model, I scratched off the idea
of a purchase.

Once the bugs are worked out, or modded to acceptability, these are good
campers.

Good luck with your modding.

And, happy camping!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #173
KLM

Here is an idea. Since there are so many problems with the actuator. Why is there no recalls on this part??? We need to band together to get a parts recall from Forrest river. This is the third one I am going to replace. Last under the warranty. Forrest River said they changed the actuator brand. Maybe more power??? But I don't know when I am getting the new part. They have not contacted me back. Weighting game now right when the two year warranty runs out. They want over $200.00 for a new actuator. Maybe we can put all of our minds together and figure out a manual lift system like on a Chalet. I am attaching a video of their system. I know the roof is heavy on an A214HW. I had to lift and lower it with just the handle on the side in the middle of camping trips. I am bummed out about this. For every thing else I like the little bugger. It is easy to pull behind my 2015 Toyota Tacoma. I have never got trailer sway with out a trailer sway hitch. I did have a reoccurring roof leak by the pop out but I fix that with eternibond tape. Seal kept breaking in this area. Here is the video...
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #174

Definitely need to do something w/ those idiot hoists!

I've had one hoist fail (and will rebuild it). I modified the second unit with an additional grease cap and silicon grease to keep water from getting in the top of the unit and coated the bottom portion with a sealant to keep water/mud out while traveling.

The 2nd hoist was under warranty and was a different model than the first but equally as useless; badly underpowered for the service! And the same problems WRT to water/dirt/mud access were still present.

I have extended warranty out to seven years which does cover replacement of the hoist BUT it is still a terribly designed unit for an expensive popup trailer. I know there are other manufacturers of similar units with the proper power to do the job. Forest River simply has to bite the bullet and do it!!

bwa
Old 04-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #175

Had to switch to my spare actuator -

My actuator was stopping about 1" short at the top position this spring.
The half-moon interlock was unable to lock, and that was a problem.
The actuator motor drive unit was also making some grinding noises,
even on the way down.

So, I got my spare Windy Nation out of the box and switched over to it.
It worked fine, and without any noise, but I could see the gap at the upper
interlock was greater on the actuator side than the other side. This indicated
that the drive was shutting down slightly short. I switched the bottom drive
mounting over to another hole to compensate, and it works fine, again.

I realized that another force is working tremendous torque on the actuator.
When the drive is run down to where its roof panel is "level", then the load
upon the drive unit is neutral. But, when the hasps are snapped in place to
hold the panels down, and locked, those hasps create a downward torque
upon the actuator drive unit. Now, think about sandwiching effect that takes
place on the road, and especially on uneven pavement and bumps and holes.

I now believe that the actuator is a short term solution doomed to eventual fail.
Maybe that is why other methods, like lift shocks and new lever lifts are being
put into production.

My mounting is shown back on tab 7 of this thread. It is still working with the new
drive unit, although I will rubberize the drive unit.

Perseverence is important with these things.

We are all in the same boat, as I have been saying, and the name of the boat
is "Way Behind"!

Happy camping!
Old 04-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #176

i think you may have a very good point here. if the replacement actuator doesn't retract all the way, and we're talking a small tolerance here, the force of latching down the roof against it may be what's twisting the roof frames, as mentioned in other posts here.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegKen View Post
Found out that FR sells a "roof actuator" that lifts the Aframe roof at the push of a button. It supposedly can be installed on existing Aframe models.
Does anyone have a roof actuator on their Aframe and if so, how well does it work? (The photo below shows the actuator installed on an Aframe. It's not mine!)
Thanks!
Attachment 87175
I have a 2018 A212HW and it works great. Of course, I've never had anything different since this is the first A-frame but hear it's very nice to have vs doing everything manually.
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Camper View Post
I have a 2018 A212HW and it works great. Of course, I've never had anything different since this is the first A-frame but hear it's very nice to have vs doing everything manually.
Just want to point out that this is a 3 year old thread, just in case you didn't notice. I've done the same thing.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #179

Didn't mean to open up a can of worms...

I have a solution to the "potential" dilemna actuator situation.

I am going to make the actuator removable, meaning it will not be
permanently installed on the camper. It will be installed at the campsite,
and removed for the road, and removed for the winter.

The rv mounting pins(bolts) will be the same, only when the actuator is put
on, a flat washer and small tractor pin will be used to hold the top and bottom
of the actuator in place.

The electrical wire will be supplemented with a waterproof 2 pin connector.

Installation of the actuator, and removal, will take less than a minute.
It will travel in the storage compartment.

A rain cap will be installed, as per Oyo, to prevent rainwater from dripping in.

Happy camping!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #180

I used mine on a214hw for one camping season. Stored it indoors during the harsh Wisconsin winter and discovered that as of today, May 6, it is dead and uncooperative. You were right, just unscrew the bolts at top and bottom and remove that thing. I see what you mean about the 30 incher that you found when I measured it. Thanks for the interim quick fix though.
cspanky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof