Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #1

Question Anyone Swap Their Outside Shower

Saw Rick on YouTube "GoingNowhereFast" swap his outside shower for an alternative with a spring hose and multi-spray option head. Once the hose is removed it won't leak/run the water out. His unit cost $50 on Amazon. Any alternatives you've used? Thanks
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
OYO

Just got back from 30 days of campering. 1st time I used that pos shower it went on my replacement list.

Haven't had time to look for one yet.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #3

The only time we use the outside shower is to draw water for cooking or cleaning at the picnic table. The stock fixture is adequate for that purpose.

At one point we used the water heater and drew hot water for dish washing from the outside shower. But we found it more efficient and effective to just heat the water on the 2 burner camp stove. We rarely turn on the water heater.

just our experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #4

My outdoor shower is only used as a spare part when the hose in my interior shower fails. Other than that, we don't much use for it. If our dogs get dirty, we just throw them in the lake. If my hands get dirty, I wash them inside the camper. Muddy shoes? I leave them outside and let them dry cuz they will get muddy next time I use them so what's the point?

Two things I can't figure out, outdoor showers and outdoor kitchens. If you are camping and want to cook outdoors it should be over a camp fire or a bbq grill....everything else is done indoors.

What's the next trend? Outdoor RV toilets?
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #5
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
My outdoor shower is only used as a spare part when the hose in my interior shower fails. Other than that, we don't much use for it. If our dogs get dirty, we just throw them in the lake. If my hands get dirty, I wash them inside the camper. Muddy shoes? I leave them outside and let them dry cuz they will get muddy next time I use them so what's the point?

Two things I can't figure out, outdoor showers and outdoor kitchens. If you are camping and want to cook outdoors it should be over a camp fire or a bbq grill....everything else is done indoors.

I'm with you on the kitchen (and toilet). But we do use the shower to rinse the sand and salt off. And might use it more if it functioned better.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #6

There is only a few places where you can actually shower outdoors and I highly recommend it. Great feeling indeed.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:28 AM   #7

I use my outside shower for the occasions where I have to wash my dogs when they get into something that is too nasty to allow them into the inside shower.

Last weekend I was cooking some jalapeño poppers stuffed with chorizo and cheese on my smoker and I forgot to put thee grease drippings bucket under the grease drain. Before I knew it, I had three dogs with orange chorizo grease all over their heads and they were all rolling around in the leaves and scrubbing their heads on my patio mat trying to get it off — i guess the jalapeño sting was bothering them. Dinner was ready, guests were waiting, and there I was, giving three dogs a shower.

Bruce
Old 04-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Out door shower

I actually use my outdoor shower as a shower.
When we are boondocking in Elk Camp, afternoons are hot,a nd dry. the season is also 30 days long, so I want to extend my time between moves-to-dump, as long as possible. Showering outside is part of that. Avoids filling the grey water tank so quickly.
We are isolated, so a curtain isn't a real necessity, but we still put up the little shower tent. some duck boards or flat rocks on the floor and it's great. The tent is dark so it warms up inside if there is a chill in the air.
Only problem is that the outside shower is in the back of the trailer, instead of where it would be handy, near the Garage man-door.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

We use our outdoor shower as a shower. DW and myself have taken outdoor showers in December (Ocala NF area). Had privacy and it was very enjoyable. We've also used the outdoor shower to rinse off from being in the lake or river. We have a teak deck section to stand on so we don't end up with muddy feet. I prefer an outdoor shower as opposed to an indoor one to help keep the humidity to a minimum inside the camper.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #10

Would rather be outside then inside so love the outside kitchen! WOULD NEVER use the camp ground bbq without a lot of cleaning and still feel unsafe. Only reason we got a tt is to do our crafts and such for resell while we travel, setting up tent got old.
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locky View Post
There is only a few places where you can actually shower outdoors and I highly recommend it. Great feeling indeed.
x2
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Two things I can't figure out, outdoor showers and outdoor kitchens. If you are camping and want to cook outdoors it should be over a camp fire or a bbq grill....everything else is done indoors.***
Those of us who LOVE to cook and shower outdoors are not so inferior that you should be telling us how we should cook. While we may not "figure out" your need to be inside for cooking, it would be most disrespectful of us if we told you how you should cook inside. I can't "figure out" why you would tell us how we should cook outside.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I personally wish that outside showers were not even installed on every trailer out of the factory, unless they put usable and reachable inside shutoffs for them.

I just had to replace mine because it froze up, despite my efforts of stuffing as much insulation around it that would fit!

I had a hard time finding the same faucet I have, but did.

Cost around $60 for the faucet and another $30 bucks for parts and accessories.

It does have a quick connect faucet...how cool!

Note the crack in the plastic (circled in red):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerLeakingOutsideShowerFaucet-P3191815.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	167766   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerLeakingOutsideShowerFaucet07-P3211851.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	712.5 KB
ID:	167767  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #14
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I see no big deal as how it works. Its fine for my use as washing off My grill or shoes or rinsing dog feet off. Had many a camper with them and never an issue. When grand kids where around rinse them off also Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #15

Don't use very often- muddy shoes or feet- and once to clean fish before I got a spliter for the water pedestal
DeeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:

Outdoor kitchen is great. Put all the extra meat and drinks that fit the residential fridge in the out door kitchen fridge. My grill is right there and bam instant cooking outside not smelling the rv, kids can get drinks and not go inside. Oh, then the outdoor sink bam, clean the stiff right there and the grill, don't even have to step inside the rv. Oh yeah and the fire is going too. It's awesome, way awesome.
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey1 View Post
Outdoor kitchen is great. Put all the extra meat and drinks that fit the residential fridge in the out door kitchen fridge. My grill is right there and bam instant cooking outside not smelling the rv, kids can get drinks and not go inside. Oh, then the outdoor sink bam, clean the stiff right there and the grill, don't even have to step inside the rv. Oh yeah and the fire is going too. It's awesome, way awesome.
Well stated. Another plus is that family and friends can help in the cooking and cleanup without everyone crowding inside. At festivals where we party with lots of others, cooking and dining outside is a great part of the experience.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #18

I've used mine for dish washing often. Using the outside shower makes us just like the tent campers where there is no need to collect the water. Just be a considerate camper.

I have occasionally used it to shower as well when staying at federal campgrounds without real showers. Just wear a bathing suit. Hang the towel by the door.

The funniest time it's been used it was at a primitive campground where we all (a large group) got pretty dirty from the wind blown dust and about 6 women lined up to wash their hair in my hot water. The rest of lined up to use the single outside shower, with very cold and hard well water, provided by the park.

Whatever it takes.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey1 View Post

X2 for sure! Won’t get another RV without one. If I wanted to stay inside we might as well stay home.
fliper74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #20
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Funny...

I spend a lot of time and do a lot of things outside of my RV...and never even look at that outside shower!

Other than to make sure it isn't leaking in the underbelly and ruining the insulation and wood flooring again!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower