Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #21

I agree with the solar panel method.. much better for charging your batteries.. You get a nice controlled charge all day, instead of trying to get a full charge from a generator in a hour or so.. Your fellow camper with love the pure quietness of the whole charging process.. Been using a 100 watt panel for years .. works great.. I made my "portable" so I can move it around and follow the sun a couple of times during day.. Here is a good example:
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-...cm_wl_huc_item
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #22

First, in response to your question, just plug your shore power cable into the generator. The converter/charger will deliver a very high rate of charge over the initial charging period, then, as all chargers do, it will taper off once the initial "bulk" charge is complete. Unfortunately, if you consume a lot of your batteries' charge, it will take quite a bit of time listening to the drone of the generator to top off the batteries.

An alternative.
If you are serious about boondocking, I suggest you go solar along with your battery upgrade.

A solar kit is not very expensive, and it will transform your boondocking experience.

Renology and Windy Nation make good stuff.

Single Panel Renology

Two-Panel Windy Nation

With two golf car batteries, I'd get, at minimum, a 2-panel kit. Maybe 3. You can expand to 4 panels with the same charge controller.

I have a Windy Nation single-panel kit and a group 24. I get to dusk with a full charge each night - in sunny Colorado.

Super easy to install on the roof...no messing with suitcase panels and having the wind blow them away.

I never run out of power...ever. I use my generator only to run 120 volt appliances...about 15 minutes in the morning and early evening. With the heavy 120 volt draws of the microwave and/or espresso machine, there ain't much power left from my little 2KW genny to charge anything, and certainly not in 30 minutes total run time.

You can see my panel installation in the photo. I may add a second one this year so I can splurge and run the lights. We go for as many as 5 days and never have any shortage of 12 volt power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Solar.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	201911  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #23

If I'm boondocking and we need the batteries charged quickly I will plug my trusty old Craftsman Charger into the generator and charge them up . If my wife and kids are gonna be fartin around watching tv and the generators gonna be running for a couple hours anyway Ill let the converter charge . I don't bother to turn off the converter it will stop on it own when you hook up the charger . The extra power from the charger makes it think its charged up .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #24

Generator/Solar

New to camping - Got boondocking reservations a couple nights this coming fall on north ridge of Grand Canyon. Would like to be properly prepared for it.
1) When you leave the campsite all day to site see do you drop the AFrame or leave it up??? Leave solar charger on or pack away???
2) Would I be able to permanently mount a renogy100 on an AFrame, or would it be too difficult to orientate??
3) Would the existing systems in a 2018 T12RBST work OK With the renogy (one battery, and WFCO)???
4) Is there complete instructions with the renogy on how to wire it into our system??
Thanks for your input......
nautipelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautipelican View Post
New to camping - Got boondocking reservations a couple nights this coming fall on north ridge of Grand Canyon. Would like to be properly prepared for it.
1) When you leave the campsite all day to site see do you drop the AFrame or leave it up??? Leave solar charger on or pack away???
2) Would I be able to permanently mount a renogy100 on an AFrame, or would it be too difficult to orientate??
3) Would the existing systems in a 2018 T12RBST work OK With the renogy (one battery, and WFCO)???
4) Is there complete instructions with the renogy on how to wire it into our system??
A-frame...you're gonna have to sacrifice a lot of sun on a steeply pitched roof. In this case, either you build a Rube Goldberg mount or you go free-standing. Keeping the camper closed all day will become a real pain in the ass about 20 minutes into the first trip.
I'd go free standing. But you need a sturdy anchoring system to hold the panels in the wind. Perhaps "screw anchors?"
Then there's the small matter that your roof is made of tissue paper and bubble gum. It took a lot of ingenuity and stainless steel thru bolts to mount mine on the roof of my PUP and not ruin something. The roof is THIN fiberglass, 1/16" plywood (as I said, tissue paper), light framing, another layer of 1/16" plywood, and the ceiling covering. In other words, damned near nothing. I used 1/4" bolts with a 1 1/4" solid shank, fender washers and stacked washers, nylock nuts, and lots of silicone to get it so I hit the solid shank on the bolt just when the nut snugged things just right. It took a bit of experimenting to get the length just right. Then a dremel cutoff wheel to trim and smooth the bolts inside the camper.

Find a convenient place to mount your solar charge controller...perhaps inside on the front wall of the camper. (I mounted mine in a weather-proof box outside.) As close as possible to the battery. Wire the charge controller output DIRECTLY to the battery terminals. If you remove the 120 volt outlet that's likely mounted on the inside front wall of the camper, you can look inside and see how the thing is made, avoid wires, and so on. Drill thru the front wall behind the charge controller mounting point, thru the outside wall, then use sealant to seal the hole, or get fancy and add a "gland" to route the wire out the outside wall. A gland may not work if you drill thru diamond plate. Silicone seal is more than good enough.

Mount a quick connect to the outside of the rig in a convenient location. Same wire routing concepts as above, but you could come out of, say, the "road" side of the camper to keep the activity area clear of wires. Use 10 AWG wire for all connections to maximize performance with a single 100 watt panel (but 12 awg will do) over shorter distances...say 25 to 50 feet from the RV to the panel.

IF AND ONLY IF YOU, AND ONLY YOU, WILL HANDLE THE SOLAR GEAR, you could use conventional extension cord and AC connectors to connect your panel to the charge controller. Short extension cord with FEMALE connector on the charge controller input, short extension cord with MALE connector on the panel, and "any" length standard 10 AWG or 12 AWG extension cord between. There is no danger at the charge controller end, but if someone makes the mistake of plugging the panel array into 120 volts, that's the end of the panel. A plastic tag could be added with a warning to not plug into 120 volts. I'd do this in a heartbeat, but I know that nobody else will be messing with the solar. It's a bad idea if you have kids or "stupid" friends.

But you could always adapt an extension cord with proper 12 volt solar connectors. I like extension cord because it is durable and meant for hard duty on the ground.

Now the good news. You DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING SPECIAL to separate solar charging from converter charging. They can run in parallel simultaneously and continuously. Plug in the camper while the solar's on? NO PROBLEM...assuming you wire the solar charge controller straight to the battery.

SOME, not all, "solar on the side" setups have the solar wiring installed in other ways, and this can lead to conflicts while plugged in. But if you go straight to the battery, it's no different than using jumper cables on a car and then the car starts....charging from the alternator and the other car's battery...or using a heavy-duty battery charger/jump starter to charge the car battery and start the car. No harm no foul. Couldn't be easier and more trouble free.

I've been running solar for years on the roof of my PUP, and with very judicious use of power and in sunny Colorado, I go to bed fully charged each night. I do NOT use the lights. I have a propane mantle lantern and a couple of Costco mega LED lanterns. I save my power for the furnace, pump, and other uses, plus the inevitable parasitic losses. I NEVER run out of 12 volt power. You can see my panel on the roof, and my charge controller is in the plastic electrical box mounted to the front of the rig...couldn't spare the space inside, because we climb into and out of the beds in that space and would break something with our feet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camper Solar.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	207678  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautipelican View Post
If you are boondocking (actually dry camping at Grand Canyon north bank campground) for up to 4 nights, you can get by without solar and without a generator - especially with the T12.

The fridge does not have a DC controller, so the only parasitic draws on your battery are the propane/CO alarm and the stereo. If you install a switch in BOTH stereo positive leads, you eliminate the stereo by switching it completely off.

Now the only thing left drawing any substantial power from the battery is the heater fan. Turn off the heater during the day, and that only leaves nighttime power for the heater.

The easiest and cheapest way to set yourself up for the 4+ nights I mentioned is to install a pair of batteries - and a battery cutoff switch. I prefer a pair of GC-2s from Costco ($93 each) because the golf cart batteries seem to do better under heavy usage.

The batteries give you 210AH (105AH usable). The heater fan draws 3.5A, so 5 hours of actual run time night is 17.5AH. Add in another 6AH for the CO/propane alarm, and you are using 23.5 AH per day. Which gives you 4 days/nights until the batteries are down to about 55%. If you don't run the heater as much as 50% you can do more.

I just got back from a 2 night trip to Mueller SP in Colorado (elevation 9,500ft). Nights were 40-44 degrees (all night), and I had the thermostat set on 62. I had about 30% run time on the heater on my high wall A-frame (a lot more cu ft to heat).

I don't use solar on my A-frame because mounting it on the roof means having to orient the A-frame in a specific direction. Having free standing panels, unless I have really sturdy/heavy stands, is an invitation to disaster in the Colorado/Wyoming/Texas winds and thunder/hail storms.

I also don't carry a generator - takes too much away from the ease and simplicity of the A-frame to carry generator, gas, theft prevention, etc.

At the end of 4 nights of dry camping, our water tank is close to empty, and so is the fridge. It's time to restock and move to another spot. So 4 nights of battery capacity has worked for us so far in 5 years of A-frame camping.

If we are going to be at a spot more than 4 nights, we get an electric site. And we need water and showers nearby, too.

If you do go down the generator route, you probably should replace the WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics model. The WFCO does not recharge your batteries fast enough to make optimal use of a 2-3 hrs/day generator run time.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #27

I know its going to be a challenge installing a solar panel on the roof panels. They seem pretty flimsy - probably would thru bolt the brackets. What if I put the topside of the solar panel on a hinge, and latched the bottomside during travel and then used some foldout support legs for the bottom to get the panel facing the sun, or at least flat when the AFrame is up??
Old 06-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #28

A-Frame roof mount adjustable solar panel

nautipelican;2121217]I know its going to be a challenge installing a solar panel on the roof panels. They seem pretty flimsy - probably would thru bolt the brackets. What if I put the topside of the solar panel on a hinge, and latched the bottomside during travel and then used some foldout support legs for the bottom to get the panel facing the sun, or at least flat when the AFrame is up??
This winter I completed such a project. I have a 2012, A-122 A-Frame. Mounted a 100-watt Renogy glass panel between the two small bubble skylights on the front roof panel. Spanned across the roof to the perimeter frame using aluminum U-channel. See attached photos. Attached SS spring pins (a la Slim PotatoeHead's solar panel set up shown on YouTube videos) to each of the corners of the solar panel. Top two pins fit into a SS piano hinge centered on the top cross bar; bottom two pins fit into brackets on the bottom cross bar.

When all four pins are latched, the panel is secured to roof for travel. Releasing the bottom two pins allows the panel to rotate upwards on the hinge for better orientation when the trailer front is facing away from sun. Unlatching the top/bottom pin pair on one side will allow the panel to rotate on the other pair of side pins to face either right/left. Up/down, right/left panel support is by using a cut-down adjustable hiking pole. If all for pins are released, the panel is removable for storage, or for better orientation ground set-up using an extension cord. Renogy controller is mounted on inside wall at the front for easy viewing and programming.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8145.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	207726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8146.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	207727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8148.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	207728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8149.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	207729  
tommytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #29

Fantastic!!! You have a perfect set-up!!! Thanks for sharing!! I have luggage racks across the skylites on our unit, but I have the space to mount a panel horizontal above them next to the ceiling fan. Where did you find U channel 86" long?
Additionally, was concerned about lifting an additional 20lbs when raising roof.....?
Maybe I could install another torsion arm on that side. (Our AFrame has manual lift with two gas arms on the left hand side)

Tags
battery, boondocking, charging, generator