Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

We have the internal cut-off switch inside the Rocky BUT did have a big lessons learned last year.

We had Rocky parked for a few weeks between trips and when I went to pick her up at the lot the batteries were graveyard dead!

The kill switch was off and I confirmed nothing was powered on inside the camper. The only things that will work with the cutoff turned off are the outside power levelers and the front motorized tongue jack. I doubt anybody had been messing with the levelers so I looked at the tongue jack. The tiny nighttime light switch was on...so that little light was burning for 3 weeks and eventually killed the batteries....it was amazing!

Now, I always make sure the switch is OFF when I park Rocky....I may just end up removing the light or taping the light switch to the off position.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #42

I have everything get turned off with the disconnect switch except solar controller. Solar is on the battery side of the disconnect so that solar can't power the trailer with the battery disconnect off.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBS_WIN View Post
So the one with the cleaner Interstate batteries is correct?...lol. And the ground wire is the black one on the bottom of the picture?
Yes

Here our old setup …

The wire out the top goes to the Inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 005.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	186159  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #44

What wires do I want to disconnect from my battery to cut the power to them. Just don’t wanna drain my batteries while I’m waiting for my disconnect switch to arrive that I ordered. It’s a 2 battery setup hooked up parallel.
CUBS_WIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
What wires do I want to disconnect from my battery to cut the power to them. Just don’t wanna drain my batteries while I’m waiting for my disconnect switch to arrive that I ordered. It’s a 2 battery setup hooked up parallel.
Ground wires on the battery that goes to the frame will usually do it.
Both positive and negative will make sure you have it all.

Touching a volt meter from either positive to the frame should show no voltage. If you see more than 10 volts between the battery and the frame, it is not totally disconnected.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #46

Thanks
Old 09-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #47

I got my battery disconnect switch yesterday. I just need to know what wire on on the input post and what wire goes on the output post. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	186417
Old 09-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #48

I have the dual battery setup on my travel trailer and they are hooked up in parallel.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #49

personally it shouldn't make a difference as all you are doing is interrupting or completing a circuit. but the picture is interesting in that it has the word 'input' on one terminal. also, it may just be the angle of the photo but it looks as if the two terminals may be a different size. were there any instructions with the switch? if not i don't think it matters.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #50

I prefer putting the switch in the positive, but either side will work.

Output is the wire(s) coming to the battery post from the trailer.

Input is a new wire from the battery post to the switch. See your automotive parts store for a battery cable of the right length and end fittings.

Using the switch to disconnect the camper from the batteries is great. However, the switch you are using does not take the batteries out of parallel. If you need to take them out of parallel, you will have to do it by unhooking the parallel cables (or cutting them in an emergency).

Hope this helps.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #51

So the input wire is a wire that goes from the positive or negative post of the battery to the input on the switch. The one I’m confused about is the output wire. It goes from the output side of the switch to the trailer. Dumb question...where on the trailer does it go???
Old 09-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #52

Not a wire but the wire that is connected to the battery post and then a wire (same gage) from the switch back to the battery post you removed the wire from.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #53

What wire am I removing? I thought I’m taking a new wire and connecting it to the positive or negative bated post to the input side of the switch and then the other wire goes from the output side of the switch to the trailer. Just not sure where on the trailer. Sorry it not understanding..lol
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #54

Sounds like you need to go to YouTube and watch some of the many battery cutoff switch installation videos. It's how some of us learn to do a lot of things we don't normally do
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #55

I have watched some and nothing shows dual batteries in parallel and actually showing what connections on the switch...lol
Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #56

Quote:
I have watched some and nothing shows dual batteries in parallel and actually showing what connections on the switch...lol
All I do for every RV I have ever owned (single or parallel) is take the negative cable that runs from battery to the frame of the RV. Cut it, install eyelets on both cut ends, install the switch between. Simple and easy. Doesn't matter how many batteries there are. I also never worry about separating paralleled batteries from themselves or into banks. I have never had the need to. For the folks that say paralleling batteries in storage causes discharge, if it does, it is not enough to be concerned with.

Before we retired, the RV might sit stored for three months. I would charge the batteries, then use the disconnect switch. When I checked them three months later they were still at least 95%.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Try this one:

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #58

Ok Thanks so much. My batteries are hooked in parallel right now… That’s just the way they came from the dealership. I just wanted to make sure I hooked up the disconnect switch properly so I didn’t do any damage to the the electrical system. It’s a 2019 Wildwood and I would hate to damage anything....lol.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Ok Thanks so much. My batteries are hooked in parallel right now… That’s just the way they came from the dealership. I just wanted to make sure I hooked up the disconnect switch properly so I didn’t do any damage to the the electrical system. It’s a 2019 Wildwood and I would hate to damage anything....lol.
You can keep them hooked up in parallel. No need to isolate them.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #60
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
OK, if you can follow a wiring diagram here is how my was hooked up.

Just ignore the part of the diagram that deals with the solar charger and the Trimetric Battery Monitor.

I also used a dual position switch so I could use or not use the solar. The black ground wire off the battery should go RIGHT TO THE FRAME in your install (since I measured the current into and out of the battery bank with the trimetric I needed the shunt between the battery and the frame).

Lou
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2211.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	186426   Click image for larger version

Name:	My wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	1850
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	186427  
Attached Images