Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

Exclamation Battery Wiring Colors

I'm getting my 2014 A122BH out from the shed, and I disconnected the battery and can't remember what's what!

I have a black, a white, and a red wire. The black goes to the power tongue jack, and I believe it's positive.

I thought I would just continuity test them all to the camper frame, but both the red and white have continuity to the frame. That doesn't make sense to me, as I thought only the negative wire would be connected to the frame.

I don't have AC power out here, so I can't hook it up and test the voltages on the wires.

Can anyone help me out real quick? Thanks!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

I did just determine that the black is for sure positive for the tongue jack, and the white is negative. The jack works with those hooked up.

I'm guessing that leaves red as positive as well, but I'm worried about messing up my converter if I'm wrong!

It's just confusing to me that both white and red seem to be connected to the frame, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding something.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

The red will be positive. I hate the way they color code on RV's. On my battery compartment there is a sticker that says Black positive and white negative but the wires are red (positive)and white (negative).

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #4

Of the 2 main wires (largest gauge) coming off a batttery ... Red is power (+) White or Black is ground (-). Your black wire should have been a smaller gauge wire feeding the tounge jack coming off the positive of the battery. Ohming out the red wire ... you're just reading resistance of everything hooked to power as the other side of a load is ground.

Most converters have two reverse polarity fuses that will blow when power is hooked up backwards.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #5

Thanks, it's hooked up and working now!

Tags
battery, wiring