Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

best approach for changing tires on same wheels?

i am a bit overdue to replace the OeM tires, which have not given me any problems to date, over to a newer manufactured tire.

this question is not so much about what tires to get as replacements - i see there are plenty of threads about this.

i am more wondering the best and most efficient approach to get the old tires off the wheels and the new tires onto them.

dealer is a bit too far away to go to for this...
will a regular auto tire store perform this service? if so, do you bring the whole camper to them or take the wheels off the camper and just bring them the wheels?
if you remove the wheels, what is the best way to do this? put the camper on blocks or...?
there are a few lawnmower/tractor type places around where i live that sells some of the popular tire replacement brands, are they a better choice due to familiarity with trailers and trailer tires?

for the big rigs watching this forum, this is a post about a lightweight A frame travel trailer do not the same process probably as the big truck tires the larger rigs may use.

seeking any advice or experiences.

R
Old 01-29-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Scoundrel

I brought my old pop-up to a local tire store and they replaced my 13" tires with new. Or just pull the wheels and do the same.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Sorry - I didn't answer all your questions. You can jack the camper up and put on jack stands under the leaf springs, pull the wheels off and bring them to any decent tire store and replace the tires. Or hitch up and bring the A-frame to the shop and they'll do it.

I would call ahead first and be sure they have 13" trailer tires in stock and can get you in.

Good Luck

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

check out wheels and tires on rims at etrailer dot com many options

sometimes buying the whole tire and rim is not that much more expensive then buying a tire and having it put on the old rim...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:53 AM   #5

I just replaced my tires. I used the tools I had to see if I needed anything else for a roadside tire change to pull the wheels, then left the trailer on jack stands. I have a auto shop where I changed the tires myself, then took the wheels back and put them back on.

I used a bottle jack on the frame right next to the axel to jack it up, then put a jack stand under the same spot.

I don’t think you will have any problems doing it any way, just call the place beforehand and talk to them.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #6

If You know the Proper location to Lift/Jack Your unit and have the proper tools and blockage/stands for Safety, remove the tires yourself! If you take it to a "Tire Shop" you will be at their Discretion on how They want to "Jack it Up"! Nine times out of Ten they will use the Axle! Youroo!!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
OYO

Good thread. I've been mulling this over myself.

I see two conflicting suggestions here. Block under leaf springs. Block under frame.

I doubt your Aframe has leaf springs, it probably for sure has torsion springs.

Block under frame is the right answer. And never under the axel.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #8

If the locals sell tires and mount tires, take the trailer to them, its no big deal. If they don't want to work on it, they'll tell you.
larry pw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

If you are thinking about changing them yourself, Harbor Freight sells a manual tire changer. I bought one to switch tires on my utility trailer and was surprised how well it worked. The price was easy also at $42.99. It is a good idea to change the valve stems while you have the tire off the rim.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If You know the Proper location to Lift/Jack Your unit and have the proper tools and blockage/stands for Safety, remove the tires yourself! If you take it to a "Tire Shop" you will be at their Discretion on how They want to "Jack it Up"! Nine times out of Ten they will use the Axle! Youroo!!
X2, or watch them when they jack it and make sure they know what they are doing. In the last year 1 of 3 shops was about to jack ours on the axle, had to tell the kid to stop and then he went and got an older guy who showed him where to put the jack...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #11

I agree with RSDATA's comment. I had to purchase tires last year for my trailer because of a blow out on our way to a park. Because of the location, I had to buy from a tire shop. I was going to buy only one to replace the blow out but ended up buying 2 after checking the date of manufacture on both tires.

After getting home I checked around on-line and found I could have bought new tires with wheels from a couple of well know websites for basically the same price and installed them myself.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:41 PM   #12

Just a word of caution. Check your wheels for any stickers that indicate they are directional. Mine had these stickers. Looked my wheels over closely, and could see no difference between the wheels from the left side vs the right side. BUT, why tempt fate. I made sure, when I got new tires, the wheels from the left side went back on the left side, and ditto for the right.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #13

However you end up changing the tires , make sure you have them balanced.

H.
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey9 View Post
However you end up changing the tires , make sure you have them balanced.

H.
Yes, why do they even ask? Get 'em balanced.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 AM   #15
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
i am a bit overdue to replace the OeM tires, which have not given me any problems to date, over to a newer manufactured tire.

this question is not so much about what tires to get as replacements - i see there are plenty of threads about this.

i am more wondering the best and most efficient approach to get the old tires off the wheels and the new tires onto them.

dealer is a bit too far away to go to for this...
will a regular auto tire store perform this service? if so, do you bring the whole camper to them or take the wheels off the camper and just bring them the wheels?
if you remove the wheels, what is the best way to do this? put the camper on blocks or...?
there are a few lawnmower/tractor type places around where i live that sells some of the popular tire replacement brands, are they a better choice due to familiarity with trailers and trailer tires?

for the big rigs watching this forum, this is a post about a lightweight A frame travel trailer do not the same process probably as the big truck tires the larger rigs may use.

seeking any advice or experiences.

R
are usually just trade the camper in the buy a new one. If the tires are worn out, There is probably other stuff getting ready to go to.o.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 AM   #16

is there an official guide or manual showing the proper jacking points and locations for jack stand?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
X2, or watch them when they jack it and make sure they know what they are doing. In the last year 1 of 3 shops was about to jack ours on the axle, had to tell the kid to stop and then he went and got an older guy who showed him where to put the jack...
Had to replace/buy a Tire in Calif.,told the Service writer/Manager that I had Ramps to raise the wheel when they decided where they were going to remove the tire! Next thing I see is a Worker pulling a Jack across the Lot to jack up Our Trailer! I stopped him before he jacked up on the "AXLE"! You have to take care of your OWN things! Youroo!!
Old 01-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
is there an official guide or manual showing the proper jacking points and locations for jack stand?
Unfortunately there's not. However there's several Youtube videos that show how to do it. Here one that has a good view of the jacking point starting at about the 1 minute mark.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #19

In the old days,

you could change a tire on a rim by hammering a chisel into the seal,
and then switching the chisel to a crowbar.

Nowadays, a tire changing machine, or a tire shop is the way to go!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #20

I'm at the same point with my tires...I have 2 new load range d s in the garage.
I will jack one side...remove the wheel ...replace with the spare... then drop.
other side I will jack...remove the wheel...and leave the hydrolic in place with a support to the front of the wheel.
chock everything...so no movement is an issue....and off to your local mechanic you go.
my guy does it for about 25 bucks a wheel...balanced.
most garages have the ability to do 13 inchers...as new equipment had to be purchased in the last 10 years to enable them to do all sorts of rims.

dmo

Tags
tire, tires, wheel