Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Zoinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 128
Best generator for a A213HW

I've read through a couple of old threads on generators. We are headed to do some Harvest Host and Boon docking camping and I'd like to ensure we have AC for those hot days. Most of our camping has been in some pretty hot regions and I just can't sleep without AC. I'm thinking about the Honda EU2200i, Honda 3000, Champion 2500 or 4650, and lastly the Harbor Freight 2000 or 3500. (most threads seem to land on those brands/models) Noise level is really important to me since I like things super quiet. I'm not sure the HF2000 is sufficient for the AC? The over 3000 watts would let me run just about everything but that seems like it might be overkill and those generators are pretty heavy. The Honda EU2200i seems like a good fit but the Honda's are expensive. Quiet and light weight. Anyone regularly running any of these generators? Will the 2000 W to 2200 W be sufficient to run the AC? Any other tradeoffs I should be considering? Thanks for the help!
__________________
2019 Rockwood A213HW
2015 Toyota Highlander Limited
Zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Space Coast of Florida
Posts: 3,631
What size AC do you have? 13.5k or 15k?
__________________


2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6,701
I don't have your setup, so check the wattage needed to run that ac and possibly install an air conditioner 'soft start' which will decrease the amount of watts needed to start the A/C.

We like the dual fuel Champion Inverter/Generator which we bought for household use (We loose electricity a lot here in Texas. Our rig has an onboard generator) The Champions are quiet (53dBA) and if you run them on propane, maintenance is minimal. Plus you don't have to carry gas to power it. The inverter/generator provides 'clean' power to your rig and it will only get slightly louder when there is a draw on the power.
They make several different models, so look for one with long running time. We have this one that operates up to 22 hours on propane. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 ... although the noise level is 61dBA
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,904
I don't have a generator, because the thought of having to run it round the clock in the summer heat takes the joy out of camping. Either the site has electric, or I don't camp in 90+ deg temps.

That said, I have run the A-frame Cool Cat on 15 amp garage circuits in Colorado, and 15-20 amp house circuits in SE Virginia/NE North Carolina. Mostly without problems. I did trip a 15 amp circuit in a the Virginia garage that was also running a house refrigerator. Normally, I am pretty careful not to use anything else significant on the same circuit because I'm pretty sure the Cool Cat taxes a 15 amp circuit to close to max.

Altitude has a definite impact on generator capacity - manufacturer's figures are for sea level. The good thing is getting above 3K ft in the East, or 6K ft in the West does away with the need for A/C in many-to-most situations.

Another consideration is model year - earlier Cool Cats were smaller, and used less power.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Hyundai Palisade
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Zoinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
What size AC do you have? 13.5k or 15k?
My understanding is the A213HW has a 10K AC unit.
__________________
2019 Rockwood A213HW
2015 Toyota Highlander Limited
Zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #6
OYO
Senior Member
 
OYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 995
We have the EU2200i. It's great.

But we don't run the AC (with or without it). From my experience while occasionally making sure the AC still works I'd say it would be difficult to hear a EU2200i over the AC.


Many places have restrictions on what hours you can run them.
__________________
2016 Rockwood A213HW
2019 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Denali 6.2

Home is where you rAise the roof.

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 48
We have the Champion 2500W inverter dual fuel generator and it runs the AC in our Flagstaff T21TBHW (very similar to the Rockwood A213HW) just fine on propane. It is middle of the road as far a quiet operation (i.e., not as quiet as a Honda but not as loud as some others). Based on your priority of quietness, I think you would find the Champion too loud. Also, the 2500W Champion is right on the edge starting the Coolcat a/c but it does it as long as there are NO other loads running, including turning off the converter so it is not trying to charge the 12V battery (I keep that charged from solar). If you want super quiet nothing beats the Honda 3000, with the trade offs being it is expensive and heavy. Dual 2200 Hondas are also very quiet but then you have to buy and carry two of them. Honda just came out with a 3200 that is smaller and lighter than the 3000 and should be comparably quiet but MSRP is $3000. Ouch!
__________________
2022 Flagstaff A-frame T21TBHWOR
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4
WIAframers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:48 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 29
generator

I have a 2500 power smart it runs my Cool Cat and the TV. But if I want to run the microwave I have to turn off the A/C. My cool Cat is like a 10500 BTU.
dmchaven2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 15
We have been running the Honda 2200i for 2 years now on our 214hw. It took a bit of work for me to figure out what had to be done for me to like it. When I first just tried the AC with the generator it would kick on the blower then shut off before both the blower and compressor would kick on. Not a big deal during the day but man that makes for a sleepless night. On the 214 the ac is under the bed so lots of noise and vibration when it is running while you are trying to sleep. For round two I took out and rebuilt the frame for the bed with 2x4 studs and added 1in foam insulation between 1/2in plywood on the top and sides. then used sound deadening foam on the inside where the unit is mounted. While I was this far in I built a new storage area to keep my batteries and inverter under the bed also. This helped a ton but I was still waking up when the compressor would kick on. So I installed a soft start to the AC and if I set the fan to stay on low I can barely notice it cycle if I’m awake and I don’t wake up at night unless I forgot to connect the 5gal gas tank and the generator runs out about 3am.
Wan2bMountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 2,876
Ettervon fuel.

Honda has a new model 320 I think. 3200 watts. About #50.

A manual start only model. Similar in size to the 2200.

More modern high tech. Fuel injection. Should be quiet and better on fuel.

Would run a. 15,000 btu ac under most conditions.

Quiet. But, pricey!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Zoinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 128
What soft start system did you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wan2bMountainman View Post
We have been running the Honda 2200i for 2 years now on our 214hw. It took a bit of work for me to figure out what had to be done for me to like it. When I first just tried the AC with the generator it would kick on the blower then shut off before both the blower and compressor would kick on. Not a big deal during the day but man that makes for a sleepless night. On the 214 the ac is under the bed so lots of noise and vibration when it is running while you are trying to sleep. For round two I took out and rebuilt the frame for the bed with 2x4 studs and added 1in foam insulation between 1/2in plywood on the top and sides. then used sound deadening foam on the inside where the unit is mounted. While I was this far in I built a new storage area to keep my batteries and inverter under the bed also. This helped a ton but I was still waking up when the compressor would kick on. So I installed a soft start to the AC and if I set the fan to stay on low I can barely notice it cycle if Iím awake and I donít wake up at night unless I forgot to connect the 5gal gas tank and the generator runs out about 3am.
What soft start system did you end up buying? Iíve looked at a few and will probably add that upgrade. Thanks.
__________________
2019 Rockwood A213HW
2015 Toyota Highlander Limited
Zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:03 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 15
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...r-conditioners

This is the one I went with. Haven’t had any problems out of it. I think someone on this site had posted pictures that made installation very easy and fast.
Wan2bMountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
I've read through a couple of old threads on generators. We are headed to do some Harvest Host and Boon docking camping and I'd like to ensure we have AC for those hot days. Most of our camping has been in some pretty hot regions and I just can't sleep without AC. I'm thinking about the Honda EU2200i, Honda 3000, Champion 2500 or 4650, and lastly the Harbor Freight 2000 or 3500. (most threads seem to land on those brands/models) Noise level is really important to me since I like things super quiet. I'm not sure the HF2000 is sufficient for the AC? The over 3000 watts would let me run just about everything but that seems like it might be overkill and those generators are pretty heavy. The Honda EU2200i seems like a good fit but the Honda's are expensive. Quiet and light weight. Anyone regularly running any of these generators? Will the 2000 W to 2200 W be sufficient to run the AC? Any other tradeoffs I should be considering? Thanks for the help!

Iím a big believer that you get what you pay for when it comes to generators. I have had Honda and Yamaha generators (2000 and 3000). I never had a problem with either.

Now, some people will buy Predator or GE or some other brand and not have problems either.

Honda and/or Yamaha are generally quieter, more reliable, but more expensive. The 3000 or 3500 size generators are much more difficult to move and load. The 2000-2200 size are much easier to deal with. And you can connect them, if needed.

If you can afford the Honda, go with it.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jim S JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 206
I have an Onan 4500i. You can get the Westinghouse which is the same exact unit. It weighs about 110 lbs.

I fits under my bed cover snd stays in the back of my f350.

This will do the job. Cheaper than the Honda and its pretty quite.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220822-183051_Chrome.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	278169
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:49 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 15,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn721 View Post
The 3000 or 3500 size generators are much more difficult to move and load.
That's going to be "person specific".

I have a Champion 3500w inverter that I can drag along on fairly decent sized wheels with a handle that folds down and blends into the generator's body.

I can then lift it to the rear platform on my TT for transport.

Come year end I turn 80 and don't consider all this to be difficult------for me.

If one can handle 100# it really makes more sense to have ONE generator that can handle an A/C and something like a microwave at the same time. If not, then yes, the smaller units in parallel make sense.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Zoinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 128
Rented a Honda EU2200i to test...

I rented a Honda EU2200i to test it out in our driveway. If the genset was in the ECO mode the AC on our A213HW would not kick on. Turn off the ECO mode and the AC would turn on and cycle with no problems. I did see the write ups on the HONDA EU3200i. A much more robust generator but no one has it for sale and as others have said...it's pricey at $2999. Some are showing less but no one has it in stock and most are saying late 2022 before they will be in stock. The dual fuel generators are interesting. I need to hear/see one in operation to compare. Still in the hunt but I thought others would be interested in the actual results of a EU2200i with AC.
__________________
2019 Rockwood A213HW
2015 Toyota Highlander Limited
Zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:14 AM   #17
Member
 
PARADOX-SEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Undisclosed
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
I rented a Honda EU2200i to test it out in our driveway. If the genset was in the ECO mode the AC on our A213HW would not kick on. Turn off the ECO mode and the AC would turn on and cycle with no problems. I did see the write ups on the HONDA EU3200i. A much more robust generator but no one has it for sale and as others have said...it's pricey at $2999. Some are showing less but no one has it in stock and most are saying late 2022 before they will be in stock. The dual fuel generators are interesting. I need to hear/see one in operation to compare. Still in the hunt but I thought others would be interested in the actual results of a EU2200i with AC.
Check your local Premier Honda dealers for the EU3200i. We have several here in Salt Lake City that have them in stock. They vary in price from $2,699-$2,999
__________________
2017 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS
2020 Chevy 2500HD High Country
PARADOX-SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.