Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #21

I have a swagman, it’s solid and well made.

https://www.bestreviews.guide/electr...RoCt0wQAvD_BwE
Old 06-20-2022, 06:13 PM   #22
GreyWolf 23MK

We love our Allen rack. It folds up when not in use, tilts to allow access to rear hatch and comes in multiple bike configurations. I have the two place model.
Each bike locks in place and the rack itself locks in receiver.
MTiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 PM   #23
OYO

+1 on the Swagman. It's industrial strength, bikes don't move. It's expensive and heavy, but damn good.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:43 PM   #24

Worth a look

I would highly recommend looking at Loloracks.com. I have a slightly different scenario than you however the solution may be the same. Lolo Racks are the “upright” type you mentioned similar to velociracks or North Shore Racks, however they carry the bike by the handlebars, negating any wheel size issues. The bikes also sit pretty high off the ground and may clear your tongue jack. Main point is that no matter how many bikes you put on, they don’t stick out farther which is nice for your situation but also helps to mitigate the lever action of stacking additional bikes further and further from the hitch.

FWIW, my application is for my bike happy family of 8, wife and six kids who all enjoy mountain biking. I hang the 6 bike Lolo Rack on the bumper of my TT(which has been reinforced with welded supports to accommodate the weight) and then move it to the tow vehicle when we get to our destination. I have bikes with every wheel size they make from 12” up to 29” and they all have one thing in common that makes them fit the rack without an issue, handlebars. The rack is no more expensive than a Thule or Yakima of the upright style and it’s made in the USA with high quality steel that has a durable powder coat. The quality is top notch for less than $1k.
WarriorDADof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDADof5 View Post
I would highly recommend looking at Loloracks.com. I have a slightly different scenario than you however the solution may be the same. Lolo Racks are the “upright” type you mentioned similar to velociracks or North Shore Racks, however they carry the bike by the handlebars, negating any wheel size issues. The bikes also sit pretty high off the ground and may clear your tongue jack. Main point is that no matter how many bikes you put on, they don’t stick out farther which is nice for your situation but also helps to mitigate the lever action of stacking additional bikes further and further from the hitch.

FWIW, my application is for my bike happy family of 8, wife and six kids who all enjoy mountain biking. I hang the 6 bike Lolo Rack on the bumper of my TT(which has been reinforced with welded supports to accommodate the weight) and then move it to the tow vehicle when we get to our destination. I have bikes with every wheel size they make from 12” up to 29” and they all have one thing in common that makes them fit the rack without an issue, handlebars. The rack is no more expensive than a Thule or Yakima of the upright style and it’s made in the USA with high quality steel that has a durable powder coat. The quality is top notch for less than $1k.
Just happened to look at the Loloracks.com site and found in the FAQ section at the bottom the following -
"Please note: the 4 and 6 bike racks are not for rv or camper trailer use regardless of hitch rating.
Because of the distance from the rear wheel to the hitch point the forces on the rack are much greater on motorhome, RV and or trailer - regardless of hitch capacity. RVs and Trailers also have a nasty habit of dragging the bumper which would be a very bad thing for any vertical bike rack.

"RVs" built on regular chassis / regular length Sprinter, Transit or Promaster vans is okay.

The rack is not safe on any class or bigger RV or any trailer. There are no exceptions to this rule."

Just be aware that Warrior Dad's setup may be better suited for this rack than others might be. If you stick it over the tongue jack like he states you probably will be OK. Best stay off the rear bumper unless you reinforce it and raise the rack so when the back of the trailer dips down in the back the bikes don't drag causing them to come off.

The Swagman XTC2 that I have, has an orange warning sticker on it that states not for use on the back of a Motorhome or Travel Trailer. I plan on getting a new one that will be "RV" approved. Waiting on whether or not we will get one or two ebikes so get the correct rack.

Good luck and be safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:45 AM   #26

Not ideal

We also find transporting bikes to be a pain. On the back of the trailer we installed bumper supports from Mount N Lock ( https://mount-n-lock.com/safetystrut...umper-failure/ ), which we then mounted a heavy duty curt clamp on receiver to. For the kids bikes we use a Yakima Longhaul ( https://yakima.com/products/longhaul...336.1653073817 )which is one of the few hitches approved for RV use. We don't like it though because it entails the use or horizontal bike hanger bars because the bike's frame triangle don't allow them to hang on the hitch easily.

For our bikes, and though it's a slight chore to get them up there, I use an old Yakima roof rack with wheel clamp mounts. Not ideal but I don't love the idea of having that many bikes out back behind the RV. I've had RV friends follow me and comment that they are amazed the bikes stay on through some of the roughest roads. We've used this setup for several years over thousands of miles of interstate and backroad travels and it works, but it's not ideal. I love the Northshore racks as some have said or even beefier, also Canadian made, Khyber Racks ( https://www.khyberracks.com/ ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	275261   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	275262  
kitestiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:09 AM   #27

1UP USA Super Duty, expandable and made in the USA. I’ve been using one for 8 years and have never had a problem. The quality is superb, all aluminum so there is no corrosion.
Wirehair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #28

Thanks all,

I think the vertical rack will be the way to go for me. To be clear and reiterate my previous post, I have no intention to mount to the back bumper of my A-Frame. Way too sketchy for me, and would require a lot of welding to support the rack. I think the dual receiver will be the way to go.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #29
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderEh View Post
Thanks all,

I think the vertical rack will be the way to go for me. To be clear and reiterate my previous post, I have no intention to mount to the back bumper of my A-Frame. Way too sketchy for me, and would require a lot of welding to support the rack. I think the dual receiver will be the way to go.
Can you explain what you mean be a “vertical rack”? A picture or link would be helpful. Thanks.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Can you explain what you mean be a “vertical rack”? A picture or link would be helpful. Thanks.
The North Shore Racks or Lolo Racks style, if you google it you'll understand. My neighbour has a North Shore so I may measure it up and see if it works.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #31
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderEh View Post
The North Shore Racks or Lolo Racks style, if you google it you'll understand. My neighbour has a North Shore so I may measure it up and see if it works.
Thanks. You'll obviously have to consider how the vertical rack might interfere with the turning movement of the trailer so they don't touch. Personally, I wouldn't try to extend the tongue of the trailer to accommodate the bikes. There are some bike racks that are designed to be mounted on the trailer's tongue like the Arvika brand.

If that will be an issue there are other options. If you don't carry much in the bed of your Tacoma you could use a tailgate cover type of system or a roof rack for the Tacoma. It's not too high unless you've added a lift kit or you have difficulty lifting the weight of the bikes up there. Both can be used when not towing.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Thanks. You'll obviously have to consider how the vertical rack might interfere with the turning movement of the trailer so they don't touch. Personally, I wouldn't try to extend the tongue of the trailer to accommodate the bikes. There are some bike racks that are designed to be mounted on the trailer's tongue like the Arvika brand.

If that will be an issue there are other options. If you don't carry much in the bed of your Tacoma you could use a tailgate cover type of system or a roof rack for the Tacoma. It's not too high unless you've added a lift kit or you have difficulty lifting the weight of the bikes up there. Both can be used when not towing.
Yeah I considered a roof rack on the a-frame plus a tail gate pad, but would prefer to just have one easy to use setup. The tail gate pad will take up too much bed space as well, I need that for the cooler and such. The tongue kits are nice and I looked at them but I'd rather keep the weight on the hitch, more forward.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:42 PM   #33

I bought a used Swagman X2 to use behind my 5th wheel. I’m even though it is not recommended for us behind a towed RV, I decided that it was robust enough to handle 2 stour ebikes, about 85-90 lbs.
I have done 5-trips fir a total of about 2000 miles so far and no problems. I check the hitch frequently and have seen no faults or failures.
I had my hitch mount custom built and it is far more stout than any commercial Class 5.
It is a crap shoot but in my estimation, worth the calculated risk
Chardagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #34

We love our Arvika bike rack! A multitude of options (1-4 bikes) and there is even a hitch attachment if you want to use the rack on your truck, etc.
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, hitch