Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

Bike rack spare tire mount

Hi everyone.
I was considering a bike rack that mounts to the spare. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with that. I was also considering one that mounts to the ball mount but there wasn't enough space by the time it cleared the pickup bumper.
I have a 2015 t19qbhw. Tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Tundra with a backflip tonneau cover.
Thanks
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #2

You might want to consider these.....

Arvika RV Bike Racks carry your bicycles on RVs and fifth wheels - www.racksforcars.com
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Hi everyone.
I was considering a bike rack that mounts to the spare. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with that. I was also considering one that mounts to the ball mount but there wasn't enough space by the time it cleared the pickup bumper.
I have a 2015 t19qbhw. Tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Tundra with a backflip tonneau cover.
Thanks
Just for your consideration......for myself, it's bikes up/front......front mounted receiver hitch & rack.....I can monitor what is going/on & no worry's about the rear RV bumper......YMMV.....(I also use a "Tundra" )......
Old 06-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Just for your consideration......for myself, it's bikes up/front......front mounted receiver hitch & rack.....I can monitor what is going/on & no worry's about the rear RV bumper......YMMV.....(I also use a "Tundra" )......
How's the view over the hood. I was looking at that front hitch to also help me position the trailer in the side yard.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

No problem.....& I'm a LITTLE guy!.......personally, I will never go back to hauling bikes on the TT......FWIW....
Old 06-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
No problem.....& I'm a LITTLE guy!.......personally, I will never go back to hauling bikes on the TT......FWIW....
Cool.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

The spare tire mount on any pop up type camper is insufficient to hold bikes. There is just not enough bracing in the rear wall of the camper to support that kind of load bouncing around back there. Some people have posted about successfully attaching a receiver to the frame in the back. But its on of those mods that is has a lot of uncertainty for me.

The front mount hitch is a great idea. I have read anecdotes in camping forums that the police can view this as obstructing headlights at night but most people have reported satisfaction and no loss of night time visibility with properly positioned bikes. The main problem seems to be remembering to stop sooner than normal.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The spare tire mount on any pop up type camper is insufficient to hold bikes. There is just not enough bracing in the rear wall of the camper to support that kind of load bouncing around back there. Some people have posted about successfully attaching a receiver to the frame in the back. But its on of those mods that is has a lot of uncertainty for me.

The front mount hitch is a great idea. I have read anecdotes in camping forums that the police can view this as obstructing headlights at night but most people have reported satisfaction and no loss of night time visibility with properly positioned bikes. The main problem seems to be remembering to stop sooner than normal.
I'm going to look under front of truck to see if the holes are there for hookup. I saw a Curt front receiver online for about 125 which says it's a bolt on. This is probably the way I'll go than get a bonus to be able to push trailer into side yard instead of using the dolly
Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm going to look under front of truck to see if the holes are there for hookup. I saw a Curt front receiver online for about 125 which says it's a bolt on. This is probably the way I'll go than get a bonus to be able to push trailer into side yard instead of using the dolly
If I remember correctly, you tow with a "Tundra".....yes, the holes are there......the "Curt" receiver is what I use.....
Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #10

Just through our tire mounted bike rack in the trash. Two weeks ago a car followed beside us trying to get our attention. She said motioning with her hands that our bikes were falling!!! Never like the design of the thing anyway. The part that holds on to the top of the tire is not made long enough in my opinion to hold a grip on the tire. With the straps as tight as they could go it still slips around during normal travel.

I would suggest getting a receiver style mount and rack system. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
Retired Army MSG!

I purchased a front mount hitch as well. Thought the bikes the one and only trip we took them on the bumper of the 5vr was going to bounce the bumper completely off.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Great setup. Particularity the Tundra.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Great setup. Particularity the Tundra.
Yeah, just ordered from JC Whitney.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #14

I wanted to try that, too, on our TI2SC. DH took one look at the spare tire (and how it was mounted on the camper) and nixed it right off! We just put the bike(s) in the truck bed.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #15

We have a "Cyclehiker" which is supported by the rear bumper and spare tire rack and it works well, it is in it's 8th year.
Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
We have a "Cyclehiker" which is supported by the rear bumper and spare tire rack and it works well, it is in it's 8th year.
Bolting one of those on an A-Frame would leave the rack, bumper and bicycles lying in the street after the first good dip in the road, if it didn't just twist the "bumper" off the camper after loading the bikes.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Tags
bike, bike rack, mount, tire