Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

Blowouts Suck

Left this morning for 5 day trip to music festival. Got almost to Waco loop and had blowout. Super nice trooper helped me change tires. Tore off fender well and a whole bunch of wiring. All outside lights work thank goodness. No power inside. Drove to campsite and removed all plywood covers inside. Found where all the wires were torn out but have no idea how to hook up wires. Looks like trip to dealer. Also tore off my water hookup connection. Had to buy cheap "C" load range tire for spare to get me home Sunday then I'll order good tires.

I am running cord through window to elect pole to run small fan and light...really nice tonight but not sure temp rest of week....may be sweating before this trip is over with.
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
Scoundrel

Ouch! Sorry you're going through this. Every state trooper I've had an encounter with has been more than helpful.
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your blowout and damage. Someone else just listed the same thing happen to them, did 3k damage, check out the pictures. You may still be able to get the a/c running since it sits so far back that the power may not be cut. I would turn off all the breakers, plug in shore power and turn on the a/c breaker. Most likely you lost water pump power, furnace and some lighting, not to many electrical wires in these units, you may be able to temp splice then back together to get some lights.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

You should be able to match the 12v wire colors from the distribution/converter box for most. 120v maybe a junction box or two. The 30amp should probably be new single cable. Good luck.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #5

Sounds a lot like our blowout. Trailer damaged, wires & propane line ripped out. Thank goodness the outside lights worked, so we were legal to drive, because we were 1200 miles from home.

Sorry it happened to you. Misery loves company, and you have a lot of company on this forum.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:09 AM   #6

Wow, those blowout do suck, so how many miles did you have on the tires?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #7

I have yet to hear of a blow out with L/T tires. Please consider L/T tires of equal load capacity as replacements. Last year was first year in a while that I didn't have a blow out and can't say I didn't try, especially in Texas in 99 deg F weather where I was getting passed by semi's doing while cruising at 85 mph towing my 5th wheel.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

I had probably less than 4000 miles...,had trailer 3 years this past January. All wires pulled loose from air conditioner.

Just going to wait till I get home where I can pull everything out so that I have room to work and see what I can do.

So far weather here in Glenrose is cooperating....cloudy, wind blowing with shower during the night....the fan made me start grabbing covers toward morning. If it will just stay this way....hate trying to sleep when Im sweating.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I have yet to hear of a blow out with L/T tires. Please consider L/T tires of equal load capacity as replacements. Last year was first year in a while that I didn't have a blow out and can't say I didn't try, especially in Texas in 99 deg F weather where I was getting passed by semi's doing while cruising at 85 mph towing my 5th wheel.
Now you've heard of an LT blowout. Made in China version.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

And it just keeps getting better....just discovered my large bubble window has cracks. This camper stays in an enclosed building when not in use....so now I have yet something else to look forward to.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #11

Just saying guys I too learned the hard way on my motorcycle trailer that these tires only have a five year life even though they got great tread, five years maximum and a 65 mph maximum speed because heat builds up in the sidewalls
Jacink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Please tell me where I can buy a 13in LT tire with 1700+lbs load capacity.

A-frames are not 5th wheels. Almost all Forest River A-frames come with single axles, 13in D-rated ST radial tires. Until last September, the only supplier in that size was the Chinese tire maker Forest River uses; has used Loadmaster, Westlake, Castle Rock and assorted other brand names for their tires.

Last September, Carlisle started making radial ST tires in 13in and 14in D-rated sizes. When my Westlake tires age out, I will switch to the Carlisles. Right now the Westlakes have 3.6 years and 12K miles. I'm probably in better shape than most because my actual trailering weight is only about 80% of the tire capacity, I seldom trailer in 90+ degree temps, my A-frame stores in the garage, I rotate the tires and had them balanced, and I religiously set the pressure to 67-68 PSI before each trip (65 PSI if I'm going to higher altitude). But that doesn't mean I'm immune to blowouts; my actions just reduce the probability.

Also, the Carlisles are speed rated to 83 MPH; my Westlakes limit me to 65 MPH. I enjoy the better gas mileage and more comfortable driving at 65, but there are times I really would rather keep up with the 75 MPH traffic on the interstates (or other roads in Texas).

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Gimme a heads up if you are going to be towing your 5th wheel at 85mph, so I can stay clear of your route =P

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #14

Yes been there done that. It made a big mess of mine. Dealer put new wires, plumbing, new fender and floor under bed in. I put all three (spare tire) Carlisle HD tires on rated for 81 mph. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4956.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	138145Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4958.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	138146
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #15

An update:

Progressive Insurance Adjuster is coming out in the morning early to look at trailer. I was told he works with Toppers Rv where is where the work will be done on my trailer. Hopefully he will be able to give me a clue to approximately how much it will cost...I know he can't know the exact amount but at least a hint would be nice.

I have an appointment on June 2 to take and leave camper at Toppers.

Ordered 3 Carlisle ST175/80R13 D Load Range tires this morning from Discount Tires. They will be here in 3-4 days.

David
Old 05-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #16

Mine was $3000. Insurance paid it all.
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #17

Progressive Adjuster just left. Damage could have been much worse. No flooring tore up...just replace wheel well and rerun wires that were torn out. The hard part is trying to figure out where all the wires hook up to. Lots of wires loose in the converter.

The estimate was almost $600 of which we have a $500 deductible. I really don't think they will get it done for that but if it's more they will send us another check.

I have no trailer brakes since the blowout. The 40amp fuse keeps blowing everytime I hit the brake with the trailer hooked up. If I disconnect the trailer electrical hookup and hit the brake controller the fuse is ok....hook it back up to trailer and hit brake controller and it blows the fuse so they are going to have to trace that down also.

All in all it could have been way much more damage. Now if they just get it back to me before summer is over with. LOL

David
Old 05-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsa3 View Post
An update:

Progressive Insurance Adjuster is coming out in the morning early to look at trailer. I was told he works with Toppers Rv where is where the work will be done on my trailer. Hopefully he will be able to give me a clue to approximately how much it will cost...I know he can't know the exact amount but at least a hint would be nice.

I have an appointment on June 2 to take and leave camper at Toppers.

Ordered 3 Carlisle ST175/80R13 D Load Range tires this morning from Discount Tires. They will be here in 3-4 days.

David
Putting this on another tire thread so everyone will know when they search forum site about tires.
I posted on another thread, that I can't find now, that the first time I bought this Carlisle tire was from Discount Tire, like you did. I paid a little over $100 total for it. The next time, I had Walmart order the exact same tires. I think they were $63 each.
Bottom line, Walmart is much cheaper than Discount Tire for the exact same tire.
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tipper View Post
Putting this on another tire thread so everyone will know when they search forum site about tires.
I posted on another thread, that I can't find now, that the first time I bought this Carlisle tire was from Discount Tire, like you did. I paid a little over $100 total for it. The next time, I had Walmart order the exact same tires. I think they were $63 each.
Bottom line, Walmart is much cheaper than Discount Tire for the exact same tire.
I don't believe that a walmart tire is the same but things may have changed. Walmart puts specs to manufacturers for goods specifically sold by walmart.

I had a blowout on my company truck, a goodyear and stopped at the goodyear store. Goodyear guy says "Go to walmart, we don't sell that tire, you can only buy it at walmart or sams. I can sell you something similar and better."

Sears won't price match TV's from walmart. TV's that look identical have small differences in the model number.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Now you've heard of an LT blowout. Made in China version.

Who put an ST on their truck!?

[emoji16]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote