Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Red face Calling A-frame Experts, Real or Self-Made ...

Yesterday we bought a 2012 A122BH, in like-new condition, from a private party. Will be towing it with a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 "Trail Rated" Laredo w/ a 4.7L V8 engine. We thought we understood all the weight limit definitions and had ourselves convinced that the Jeep would have no problem at all. Today we are second-guessing ourselves about the numbers. Any nerve-calming advice the experienced experts, including career auto mechanics, can offer will be greatly appreciated!

A second question: we intend to tow this camper up a gravel driveway. The drive has a pretty steep grade (maybe 40-45 degrees) for roughly 300 feet, then makes a 90 degree left turn and goes up again for about 100 feet until we reach the landing area. Are we crazy to even entertain the thought?

We are really looking forward to our new adventures with this camper. We've got experience tent camping, but this is a whole new game! We've already decided to get to know our little cutie by using it in our suburban driveway a few nights before the maiden voyage.

Disclaimer: We take your advice for exactly what it is, factoring it in with all the other information we already possess!
Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

your vehicle has a tow rating of 6500 lbs, that is twice what your trailers gross weight is. you should be just fine. you may need to adjust where you load heavier items to the rear to lighten up the tongue weight.
64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Your Jeep Grand Cherokee should be fine. It should have a towing limit of 7500lbs and likely a tongue weight limit of 750lbs. The A122BH has a limit of 3300lbs and I cant imagine you exceeding 500lbs on the tongue. A lot of people tow these aframes with something a lot smaller and are fine. I am still waiting on my 2013 A122S and plan on towing it with my 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T (3500lb limit with 350lb tongue limit).

As far as towing up the steep grade that's hard to say. Do you currently have any issues getting up the drive way? I would think if you engage the 4 wheel drive you should be fine. But that's at your own risk.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #4

Whoops sorry 64c10 is correct. 6500lbs and 650lbs tongue weight (Check the hitch sticker and your manual for the exact tongue weight).
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

Your replies have confirmed our understanding of weight limits. Thank you so much!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

Congrats on that new A-Frame. I know you will enjoy it, Have Fun!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

As already said, you are fine with weights. I tow a similar A126 with a v6 Wrangler.

Use your 4 wheel drive when working that crazy driveway, and I'd say you'll be fine. I'd recommend using 4-low to prevent slippage and keep your speed down.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

I tow a A122 with the exact same Jeep. Good choice on tow vehicle. It is perfect for the job! With that said, I would make a few suggestions:

(1) Do you have a brake controller? If not, I would have a local RV dealer install one. They put one on my GC and I do not even notice any difference when I brake. I don't know the brand. The dealer seemed to use only one unit.

(2) Second, you may need a different ball mount. I needed one that looked like this to accommodate the height difference between the trailer and my GC. I knew nothing about ball mounts, and told my dealer to pick the one that was best. He selected something like this.

(3) If you take it into the dealer, have him check the wiring, especially the brake lights and blinkers.

Enjoy your new trailer. We do.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

I just noticed Jeep4Two listed his brake controller specs, which are:

Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

More on this question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsu View Post
I tow a A122 with the exact same Jeep. Good choice on tow vehicle. It is perfect for the job! With that said, I would make a few suggestions:

(1) Do you have a brake controller? If not, I would have a local RV dealer install one. They put one on my GC and I do not even notice any difference when I brake. I don't know the brand. The dealer seemed to use only one unit.

(2) Second, you may need a different ball mount. I needed one that looked like this to accommodate the height difference between the trailer and my GC. I knew nothing about ball mounts, and told my dealer to pick the one that was best. He selected something like this.

(3) If you take it into the dealer, have him check the wiring, especially the brake lights and blinkers.

Enjoy your new trailer. We do.
Tinsu,
RE: #1 We had a dealer install a brake controller, a Tekonsha Voyager 9030. It was their recommendation. Hope they made an appropriate choice, without overselling us! Like I said, we're new to this party, and since we don't know what we don't know, will have to trust their experience. That's one reason why this forum is such a great resource! Going forward, we'll have another source of information to help in decision-making.
RE: #2 Upon pickup of the unit later this week, it is possible that we may be able to use the previous owner's similar-looking stepdown piece, or if we must purchase a different size to safely tow. Can you give a bit more detail about the piece you posted a photo of?
RE: #3 Are you referring to the brake lights and blinkers of the camper, or the Jeep?

Thanks again to all who have given their imput on this. Very valuable!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Tinsu,
Can you give a bit more detail about the piece you posted a photo of?
I'm not sure what make Tinsu's hitch is, but I have the exact same thing made by Reese -a fairly popular maker of towing accessories.
It's rated for 500 pounds tongue weight and 5000 trailer weight and costs about 40 bucks in Canada.
It sounds like you'll do fine with the rig you have, though I'll second the advice to use 4-low when you're going up that driveway.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Tinsu,
RE: #1 We had a dealer install a brake controller, a Tekonsha Voyager 9030. It was their recommendation. Hope they made an appropriate choice, without overselling us! Like I said, we're new to this party, and since we don't know what we don't know, will have to trust their experience. That's one reason why this forum is such a great resource! Going forward, we'll have another source of information to help in decision-making.
RE: #2 Upon pickup of the unit later this week, it is possible that we may be able to use the previous owner's similar-looking stepdown piece, or if we must purchase a different size to safely tow. Can you give a bit more detail about the piece you posted a photo of?
RE: #3 Are you referring to the brake lights and blinkers of the camper, or the Jeep?

Thanks again to all who have given their imput on this. Very valuable!
#1) I had dealer install his recommended brake controller. Like you, I had no prior knowledge. It works great, and I have no idea what brand or whether it's a "good one." After you get the unit, you should probably drive back to the dealer and see if he needs to adjust it. There's a sweet spot on the controller: too tight and your trailer's brakes lock hard, and too light and you don't get any help. My dealer took my unit for a short test drive and adjusted it once or twice.

#2) A few years ago, I rented a PUP and the dealer sold me the ball mount (the step down piece). My new dealer (where I bought the A122) said it would work fine. You probably could use the seller's ball mount. But, I would worry about whether it's the right size. Why don't you drive over to the dealer who installed the brake controller and ask him to sell you the right size ball mount for your GC with a Rockwood popup.

#3) Yes, I was referring to the brake lights, running lights, and blinkers on the camper. My dealer had to splice electrical lines, install a plug and run it to the rear of my Jeep. He probably did this when he installed the brake controller. Again, make sure you check all these lights when you pick up the PUP and plug it in.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #13

Those are excellent suggestions that we will most likely follow through on when we pick up the unit! Appreciate your feedback!