Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Carbon Monoxide Light

I popped up my A122 today. It is not being used. But I saw the green CO light was on. Is this normal? Is it draining my battery?

Thank you
JC
JC Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #2

Yep, thats why I disconnect my battery until getting ready for a trip.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #3

I wish the dealer had told me this. Thank you.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

You would be wise to set aside several hours to just read the various posts here on the forum, make notes, or print out stuff to remember. There is just so much to know about how the water, power,towing, tires, etc work. I believe the inverter also drains a small amount of battery as well. I take off the negative lead and the battery keeps a charge really well like that, all by itself. I put it on a trickle charger at times, just be sure to check battery water at least monthly if you do that.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

Battery Cut-Off Switch

Some of us have installed a battery cut-off switch. Not very expensive and very convenient to use. This should be a standard component for all RVs.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

Battery Cut off switch

Can you tell me where to look to learn how to do this?
Old 08-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Slugger View Post
It's pretty easy find a cut off switch that you want and install it in your positive side of the battery. Just cut the pos. wire and put the switch between it. Make sure you disconnect your battery at the post first. Still some detectors are wired directly to the battery so it still might stay on, it is called a parasite. If you have a Radio that light might stay on to for the clock. What I did was to buy a SPST switch at Napa and installed them at each to turn them off, or they will draw down your battery even with a battery cut off. Just cut the pos. wire on each and install the toggle switch in between. look at Napa or Autozone for a SPST toggle switch. Look at etailer or ebay or Amazon for the battery cut off. Hope that helps you.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #8

Yes this is normal and it will drain your bat when not in use. Your unit has a few parasitic draws when not in use. Either install and bat cut off or disconnect the negative terminal from the bat.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

Thank You!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #10

YouTube is your friend for just about anything. Search something like "install battery disconnect on RV". I have seen the switches in Kmart and Walmart over the years.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
This thread has info that shows what many have done. Good luck.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ect-80409.html

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
I installed a cut off switch recently. See this post.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post868790

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Yes this is normal and it will drain your bat when not in use. Your unit has a few parasitic draws when not in use. Either install and bat cut off or disconnect the negative terminal from the bat.
Does disconnecting the positive terminal have the same effect? Or should it only be the negative terminal?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:14 AM   #14

Either one will work, but I think the neg. side you shouldn't get any spark, could be wrong. THe best way is a cut off switch and then find the parasites, like c/o and clock at the radio and add a SPST switch to them and cut them off.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegKen View Post
Does disconnecting the positive terminal have the same effect? Or should it only be the negative terminal?
I honestly do not know the science behind it, I was always told that by doing the negative terminal it takes all the possibility of a short out of the equation. You can remove the positive but from what I understand with stored energy there could be a short.

I thought it made sense the same way when working on a car you remove the negative terminal. I may be wrong in all of this but this is what I have done for the last 3 years and it was worked for me.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #16

I am unsure of the rationale for removing one wire vs another when in storage. Both wires of course need to be in place when under tow for the breakaway switch to activate the brakes. A cut off switch in use under tow must be on the positive wire with a bypass so the breakaway switch is always connected to the battery.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I am unsure of the rationale for removing one wire vs another when in storage. Both wires of course need to be in place when under tow for the breakaway switch to activate the brakes. A cut off switch in use under tow must be on the positive wire with a bypass so the breakaway switch is always connected to the battery.
I think the rationale, is because of the spark that is created if you only remove the positive side. The OP was talking about storage and his battery always running low from parasites. But some are wired directly to the positive side. I truly think the best way is to locate the parasites and installing a switch to shut them off so they can't draw any power. It's the easy way out. When you hook -up of course you are going to want your battery working, one for just the trickle charge that will come through your 7 pin plug from your TV. You just have to remember to turn your switches on for all the parasites. Depending how they wired it, and each trailer is different. Even FR will tell you that. That is why they can't supply a diagram for it. It took me a couple of hrs. to trace all my wiring. Even my panel was listed wrong from what I found, but now I know for sure....It's easy to install a toggle switch at each one you just break the hot wire and put it between, then you know it's off and can't draw your battery down.....

Tags
light