Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #21

After you get the plastic windows clean would it be a good idea to apply Rain-X on them? Just wondering because it seems to keep dust and grit from sticking to my car glass windows.
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think Rain-X is a good idea on plastic. As a matter of fact, I think it states on the bottle something like keeping the product off of rubber and plastic.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #23

I thought the windows were Lexan polycarbonate? In any case - the least expensive advice is to clean with soapy water. There are many cheap to expensive marine/acrylic/plexiglas/lexan product brands to restore to clear if scratched up/crazed/foggy to simple toothpaste (not gel) and wax to fill in. The key is avoiding rubbing/scrubbing the dirt particles into the windows, use a soft cloth, lots of soapy water and frequently rinsing the dirt out of the cloth. Avoid alcohol based products.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
I've not used Plexus, but I've used Novus on my Jeep. So far on the camper only soap and water. I'd say the Plexus will have instructions to get you started.
O.K. Thanks for the reply. I was/am hoping the can will have some type of instructions.

Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #25

I have discovered that after getting the bubble windows clean, it wasn't that they were dirty that was preventing light from entering the camper, it was the heavy tinting that was giving me fits. I had made a bad assumption that the bubble windows were tinted the same as the glass windows are and they are definitely not. I did not want to be in artificial light all the time I'm in the camper but with that heavy tinting, I guess I am going to have to learn to live with it. I'm curious to know why Forest River chose such a dark tinting on the bubble windows. It cuts out way too much light. You can tell, just by opening the door all the way, how much light is being eliminated.

Is there any way to get them replaced with clear or lightly tinted bubble windows? (Privacy is not an issue with me. That's what the shades are for.)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #26

The tinting is to reduce the greenhouse effect, cooking you under glass so to speak and I would imagine some UV filtering is a factor as well. Given the diverse types of use, clear windows or lightly tinted would be a deal-breaker in much of the southern states...

I've seen some posters from the south wishing there was no window at all. Lol.

For me, the bed side window is more for adding a bit of head and elbow room to that side of the bed and that it is also semi-transparent is a bit of a bonus.

I don't have the windows on the dinette side, that came out a few model years later, I wish I had them too, but I'd still want them tinted. I think for those with skylights on both sides, the tint is also something that adds a bit of privacy, if all those bubbles were clear enough to see in from the outside, I think that might also deter purchase for many buyers.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #27

These are hard side trailers afterall. That also means going to the dark side, relative to a clear plastic sided tent trailer. I am fairly light sensitive when sleeping so I am looking forward to not waking up at the crack of dawn when camping.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #28

Well, I guess, to each his own. My personal preference is clear or lightly tinted, but that's just me. As I stated, privacy is not an issue with me as I live and camp alone. If a passer by chooses to look in the window, so be it. As far as heat build up, the ceiling fan does a great job of cooling the camper down or I use the air conditioner. I would love to have a full screen door, or even half.

I don't mean to offend anyone. Just stating my personal preferences.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #29

I understand. It is just that I am a married man and must protect myself from the hordes of women that would break into my camper to ravish my body if they got a clear view.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #30

Pooneil---what are you drinking down there?? You certainly are hullucinating (or if true, you are a very lucky man)!
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #31

I like the tint - But the sun in my region can be pretty harsh. I think clear windows would prob show more scratches. Avoiding shadow shows is challenging enough in the evening. Given that I outside more than in when on the road camping, those shaded windows give me a sense of peace when I recluse indoors. LOL - however, they definitely dont stop curious people from peeping inside if given the chance. haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I understand. It is just that I am a married man and must protect myself from the hordes of women that would break into my camper to ravish my body if they got a clear view.
I think they would need to see a big pile of greenbacks on the bed for that to happen to an old ugly guy like you.
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #33

We have our own special flavor of Kool-aid.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #34

Poor Tom - Bought a new A Frame, gained new worries of mercy money on the bed and liquid persuasion LOL Who wouldnt want to look into the windows? His DW better put GPS on his tennis shoe to track him when he tires of clubbing those crazed ladies with his ugly stick when they carry him off. Haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #35

Reminds me of camping with son & daughter-in-law. Didn't have a tinted window in the bathroom but either a clear or light colored one. First time she took a shower with the window opne her silhoutte was refelected on it. Used shower house after that
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Poor Tom - Bought a new A Frame, gained new worries of mercy money on the bed and liquid persuasion LOL Who wouldnt want to look into the windows? His DW better put GPS on his tennis shoe to track him when he tires of clubbing those crazed ladies with his ugly stick when they carry him off. Haha
Life is tough but I am tougher.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Tom:

I want to go camping with you!

Jim