Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Cleaning the windows on a Flagstaff Popup

I have a Flagstaff T12RB and does anyone have any input as to what to use to clean the windows? Is it safe to use Windex, which has ammonium in it or a mild soap and water, like Dawn and a cloth, or an all purpose cleaner? My bubble windows are covered with Springtime sap, which can get quite heavy here in S.C., from oak and pine trees and before I clean them, I want to be sure I don't damage or scratch the windows. I have no experience cleaning plastic windows.

Thanks,

Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Only thing we ever used on our popup windows when we had it was this:
Introducing Plexus Plastic Cleaner Got it at a boat supply store.
Worked great and never scratched the plastic. Use a soft cotton cloth or better yet a microfibre cloth.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

+1 on the Plexus. Don't use Windex! I understand that it may discolor the plastic window. With the popup closed (latched for storage or travel) we used Oxyclean on our fiberglass exterior and vinyl roof. It did a great job of removing Pecan tree grime.
Guapotims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
daydreaming about camping

FYI our manual that came with our flagstaff pop-up recommended using soapy water and a soft towel ONLY.

Windex will do bad things to vinyl Windows.

I am sure there are safe products for vinyl Windows, but Windex its not one.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #5

Thanks to all who replied on my window cleaning. For the time being, I'm going to make a pail full of soapy water using Dawn and a terry cloth towel until I can get a can of Plexus. (Plexus is not cheap. It looks like it runs around $15.00 for a decent size can.) But at least I now know NOT to use Windex or any of the household cleaners like Spic and Span or All Purpose Cleaners. Thanks again to all. You've all been so helpful.

Jim
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #6

It ain't cheap, but a can will last a long time.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

Use no Windex. Even on tinted windows on cars is a no no. One of the best to use is Invisable Glass which O"rileys & Walmart carry.
raydee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As others indicated, don't use Windex !!

I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with plastic windows, and I only use soapy water to wash those puppies. If they need a quick cleaning between washings, I will spray down with plain ol' H2O and wipe with a soft towel.

I also use 3M Plastic Polish a couple of times a year. http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-p...0-p-16561.aspx. Many auto paint stores carry that, as well as some auto parts stores. Don't get the 3M Plastic Cleaner....that is too abrasive.

My windows are still mostly clear after 15 years. The back window takes a beating due to be rolled up while dirty, so that 1 doesn't look quite as good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	28376

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Mostly Harmless

[self-deleted]
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
As others indicated, don't use Windex !!

I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with plastic windows, and I only use soapy water to wash those puppies. If they need a quick cleaning between washings, I will spray down with plain ol' H2O and wipe with a soft towel.

I also use 3M Plastic Polish a couple of times a year. 3M 39010 Plastic Polish. Many auto paint stores carry that, as well as some auto parts stores. Don't get the 3M Plastic Cleaner....that is too abrasive.

My windows are still mostly clear after 15 years. The back window takes a beating due to be rolled up while dirty, so that 1 doesn't look quite as good.

Attachment 28376
Mtnguy:

I'm going to try some Dawn and cold water today. The label says it's O.K. for plastic but I'm going to try it out first on a part of the bubble window frame. If that looks O.K. tomorrow, I'll do the rest of them.

It's unbelieveable how that pine and oak sap really made those windows so dirty and sticky, but I had the camper parked in my yard since the middle of Dec., so the windows got the brunt of the pollen season. I'll know next year to be sure and keep the camper covered until I'm just ready to use it.

We live and learn!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Another great product is Novus plastic clean and shine (Novus #1). It's a plastic specific cleaner.

For fine scratches, they make a #2 designed to help buff out fine scratches.

I use both for plastic parts in my Pinball machine, Jeep vinyl windows and a #2 followed by a #1 polish works great to clean up oxidized polycarbonate headlights.

Hmmmm, something about #2 and #1 polish just seems a bit gross . But Novus is great stuff.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #12

Also remember, dish soap (and laundry soap) will strip any wax or protectant off of the surface, so reapply wax or protectant after using those. For cleaning I prefer Blue Coral car wash soap.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Also remember, dish soap (and laundry soap) will strip any wax or protectant off of the surface, so reapply wax or protectant after using those.
Agree, that dish soap may not be best, even for the plastic windows unless it is really diluted. A good quality car wash soap would be best. I haven't used Joy or Dawn on my cars for many moons.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #14

Today while I was at the dealer's having my fridge's annual check up, I asked about cleaning the windows. The service tech told me to clean the windows with warm soapy water and can also use Pledge with a soft towel. He put the product he was going to sell me back on the shelf. :-)

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Today while I was at the dealer's having my fridge's annual check up, I asked about cleaning the windows. The service tech told me to clean the windows with warm soapy water and can also use Pledge with a soft towel. He put the product he was going to sell me back on the shelf. :-)
Handbuilder:

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. You are so right!!!!!

I researched acrylics this afternoon on Wikipedia and they said the same thing. Warm, dish, soapy water, soft cloth and don't scour but wash lightly. Dawn should work fine. Pat dry with a soft cloth.

I washed a small portion of the bubble window frame, at the very bottom of the window following Wikipedia's directions and it appeared to come clean. However, the wind has been blowing quite hard all day and this campground has all dirt roads, and when I looked at it about 1/2 an hour ago, it was all dusty again. But, I think it's just dust and not sap. I believe I got the sap off. Tomorrow, if it's a nice day, I'm going to wash the rest of the bubble windows the same way. Nice and easy on the "elbow grease". Dawn is a hell of a lot cheaper than the stuff the plastics people want you to buy and it's available anywhere, even the Dollar General store. I think we got this problem solved and I thank you for finding out about it for me. What a great forum this is!

Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #16

Wrong forum? A frame windows are glass. Windex or other glass cleaner should be fine for glass windows. The aframes don't have vinyl windows. Though plexus or similar products are fine for vinyl windows as would be on a popup or jeep or some boat canvas windows.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #17

The bubble windows are plexi-glass, or acrylic of some sort. The large windows are glass.
2012 Ford Raptor
Camping born-on date: 21 July 2012
Nights camped: 2014-3 (so far!!); 2013-16; 2012-2 nights
FarFromStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Another great product is Novus plastic clean and shine (Novus #1). It's a plastic specific cleaner.

For fine scratches, they make a #2 designed to help buff out fine scratches.

I use both for plastic parts in my Pinball machine, Jeep vinyl windows and a #2 followed by a #1 polish works great to clean up oxidized polycarbonate headlights.

Hmmmm, something about #2 and #1 polish just seems a bit gross . But Novus is great stuff.
Jeep4two:

I ordered the Plexus and it should be there by the time I get home. (I'm still on my 2nd camping trip. Be home Monday, the 20th.) My question is how to use the Plexus. Do you spray it on and then wipe/clean the plastic windows? What do you use to dry the windows off? I guess I need a full set of instructions on using Plexus as I don't want to ever scratch the plastic windows. You sound like you have used all this stuff and have experience since your Jeep has plastic windows also.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #19

The plastic looks brand new!
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Jeep4two:

I ordered the Plexus and it should be there by the time I get home. (I'm still on my 2nd camping trip. Be home Monday, the 20th.) My question is how to use the Plexus. Do you spray it on and then wipe/clean the plastic windows? What do you use to dry the windows off? I guess I need a full set of instructions on using Plexus as I don't want to ever scratch the plastic windows. You sound like you have used all this stuff and have experience since your Jeep has plastic windows also.

Thanks,

Jim
I've not used Plexus, but I've used Novus on my Jeep. So far on the camper only soap and water. I'd say the Plexus will have instructions to get you started.