Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

Comparing to Aliner - need help with length

Much like many of you I am stressing out over an Aliner vs Forest River decision for many of the same reasons. I much prefer the Aliner for weight, narrow profile and extra windows. I much prefer the FR for the interior and cost...it is literally 5k less.

One very important sticking point here is length and I have no way to measure these locally. According to the brochure the Aliner is just over 15 feet while the Rockwood A122 is just over 17 feet. This is for the same 12 foot box. Can anyone verify the length is really over 17 feet? I realize I would need to add another half foot or so to the Aliner if I mount the spare tire back there but that is a choice. I am just confused why the Rockwood is so much longer.

It is a surprisingly big deal because I want to store my mowers and such in the garage in front of the camper and that extra foot and a half length would kill the possibility. I did search but they were all talking about storage models.

This decision is eating me alive, lol.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #2

i have the A122BH, and it measures 18 feet 8 inchs. not sure of the A122 but 17 feet sounds about right.
64c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #3

Sponge: I've not put a tape measure to mine, just always used the specs from FR. The A122 shows 17' 1" (same as what my A126 showed when the made it).

Also - replied to your PM.

One thing you might do is update your public profile with your Tow Vehicle and other general info about considerations as you shop to help other members know your constraints. (i.e. Year, Wrangler Unlimited, 4 Door, 3.8L (3.6L) V6, Automatic Trans (or manual), etc.)
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies...I appreciate it. I will update the profile as well. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

Also - I understand your issue with length. I did measure my 2 door Jeep to ensure it would fit with the camper in the garage (nose to nose) and banished my lawn care equipment to the outdoors (ended up buying a storage shed). It was a tight fit, but the Camper and Jeep can both stay in the garage greatly reducing aging/wear on the camper and Jeep protecting them from harsh summer sun/heat and winter weather.

Here are pics showing how 'tight' the fit is. I use my wheel chocks on the garage floor as 'stops' to get the Jeep in just the right spot every time:

Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Awesome pics! That is EXACTLY my dilemma! I actually have a third stall I plan to use for the camper but it is shorter than normal and the shorter Aliner would allow the snow blower and lawn mower to still just barely fit. I "think" the Forest River is going to send them outside like you did...which means factoring in a shed into the cost difference. Nothing is simple, lol.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

So true - I'd been eying a shed for a while, so this was just a great excuse to pull the trigger. I went big on the shed (16 x 20 barn style with loft storage) but you can always go small on the shed and size to just fit the equipment you need to store and keep the cost down.