Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlcy View Post
I guess we are the exception, we only cook inside with grilling outside occasionaly. Use the oven almost daily, we do use the crockpot outside, I love to cook but as a city girl,only inside!
Pam, I guess I am the exception with you. I do all my cooking and baking inside. Sometimes, Bob will grill outside, but for the most part, we cook inside.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
Petunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
We try to do all of the cooking outside. Usually in or on cast iron!
Cast Iron...and outside too.
You're a good man sir!

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #43

While our FE has a wonderful kitchen, we also prefer to cook outdoors, weather permitting. We carry a portable Coleman grill and a Coleman stove, plus most of the sites we stay at have charcoal grills. The only cooking we have done indoors lately is by crock pot.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #44

We do the majority of our cooking indoors.

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #45

I'd prefer cooking outside, but don't have that option.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #46

Just got a new SP-240. It was the outside kitchen that sold me. DW can't wait for me to take on more of the cooking.
Saw a couple of post on the Traeger portable. How do you like it compared to the larger models?
Powerblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #47

This past summer, I did most of my cooking inside. We did cook a few times at the fire, but we didn't have everything we needed for more-advanced cooking at fire.

We never used the RVQue grill. Not because we didn't want to, but because there's no where to easily STORE it. It doesn't fit into any of the storage areas inside, and our carry-rack on front was usually full. I'm still trying to figure out something out.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #48

Handbuilder:
I have to agree with you on the differences between Aliner and Flagstaff. Aliner are nice but I think Flagstaff's are better. I started out looking at Aliner's until the dealer showed me the Flagstaff features and the difference in price. I even tried with working with the Aline company rep, but they wouldn't build one to my specs. And if I rember correctly, when you hook up to the water supply, it fills the fresh water tank first and then you draw from that. Which means you have to drain the fresh water tank every time you go camping or you're drinking stale water.
I live alone and camp alone. Sometimes a friend of mine will come for a few days but he always brings his own tent, which he prefers. A lot of open floor space was not a requirement of mine as much as the permanent bed was. Where you have your coffee pot, I plan on putting one of those Sterilite 3 drawer cabinets you see in Walmart. I've had it for years and it holds all my utensils and the top drawer is my junk drawer. All small odds and ends like a tube of super glue, rubber bands, pocket knife etc. I'm hoping my coffee pot will fit between the sink and the wall as there is an outlet close by, between the mattress and the sink cabinet wall. It's there to plug in the heated mattress, which I'll probably never use. Due to the difficulty in making the bed up everyday in a pop up, I have zipped two sleeping bags together. One is a three pound and one a five pound. The three goes on top in the summer and the five goes on top in the cooler weather. With the two zipped together, it more than provides the same sleeping conditions of a full size bed. (I'm getting lazy in my old age.) All I have to do is flip them over to match the weather conditions but with a 20,000 BTU heat pump, I'll probably always have the three on top now. I did put a fitted sheet over the mattress but I couldn't find one that fit properly so it's not tight. For some reason, all the queen size fitted sheets are 14" deep and my mattress is 5" deep. Oh well.
Hard sided should retain the heat & A/C much better than my old camper anyway so I don't anticipate any concerns. Now, if I could only get rid of that stove!
Jim
PS
How do post pictures on this website?
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #49

sorry .. but your incorrect about the direct line water. it doesnt fill your tank .. but bypasses it ... thats why there are two different fittings on the side of your trailer .. the one that attaches directly to the tap .. and the fill up port.

d-mo
Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #50

D-mo:
Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the Aliner that goes through a holding tank, not mine. Yes, mine has two ports, one for the holding tank and one for the direct feed to the faucets. Glad to see so many astute forum readers! Happy camping.
jjdcamper
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #51
Mostly Harmless

Jim:

First let me add my welcome to the forum. All nice folks here, and eager to help. I've removed and replaced my 3-burner stove in order to get at some of the screws that attach the sink cabinet to the wall (they had worked loose on our Alaska trip). You pull off the knobs--they're on pretty tight so you have to pull hard. Then remove the cover (three screws, I think) and the two screws that hold the stovetop on. That will reveal the stainless steel pan that holds the working parts. If you're removing the stove for good you'll have to unfasten the gas line and cap it off somehow (maybe with an on/off valve that you leave in the off position). With the gas line unhooked you can remove the screws that hold the pan in. You should be able to carefully work the pan out of the countertop then. The hole that remains has a bottom in it to cover the fridge, so it's ready to store things without further work. The space will be warm when the fridge is running, so storing socks and undies there will make for pleasant morning dressing.

You could put a large cutting board over the hole--hinged, maybe--with index blocks fastened underneath to keep it in place, like the plastic thingy that covers the sink.

You should ask your dealer first to see if doing this would void your warranty.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #52

Dear hamguy:
Thanks very much for the very helpful hint. I haven't used the camper yet but if I find the stove to be a real inconvenience, I'll consider your suggestion. I don't want to de-value the camper, or void the warranty, as it's a 2013, and if anything happened to me, it will be left to my daughters. I don't think either of them would know how to put it back together again to increase the resale value. (Next month I'll be 75 and you start thinking about stuff like that when you get older.) But thanks again, I appreciate it.
Jim
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
I just bought a Forest River Flagstaff RS12RB and it came with a built in stove. Although Forest makes Flagstaff hard sided A frames that come with the in/out stove, mine is built in. I wanted that model but there was not an option on the stove. I prefer to cook outside, as I have always done, on a Coleman 2 burner propane on my picnic table. It's impossible to level the inside stove but I use ordinary door stops on my Coleman to level it up and it works perfectly. I would rather have the counter space than the inside stove, so I'll put a dish towel over the stove and use it as counter space. I think Forest River should have given the option!
Jim DiFazio...jjdcamper@gmail.com
PS
I'm a senior member(74 years old)
Hi Jim,

Nice to meet you on the forum.

We routinely place items on the closed stove at night.

The indoor stove is a blessing when it is exceptionally hot, cold, windy, or rainy outside.

I kept our coleman outdoor stove in our camper for about 6 months after we bought it because I thought I would want to use it on the picnic table as well. We ended up never using it.

We don't fry with oil inside the camper. We grill outside quite a bit with both our RVQue and campsite grills.

I guess we've gotten a bit spoiled with our unit as the microwave always seems to get a good workout when we are on shore power.

After tent camping for 30+ years, the change of going to our first camper was in many ways both unexpected and welcome. Last year, we went from around 10 nights a year camping to over 40 nights (in less than a year).

My wife has become an avid nature watcher. I just enjoy getting away from daily grind and resting.

We sincerely hope you enjoy your new camper!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #54

So folks, how do you do meals when you are in "travel mode", that is, you are traveling a long distance, stopping only overnight before taking off again in the morning. Do you cook inside, outside, or eat at restaurants or fast food. I usually have meals that I have made at home, frozen, and I take them out to heat up or cook on the inside stove.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
Petunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #55

Jo Ann & David:
I think I pushed the wrong button the first time. Sorry.

I wanted to thank you for the welcome and the camping remarks. It's always nice to listen and watch what other folks are doing and saying and then taking what suits yourself and putting it into use.

I have been camping for about 45 years now. Started when my younger daughter was only 3 months old, in a cabin tent, like most first time campers. Graduated to a larger tent and in 1970 we bought our first pop up. A Coleman with just two beds and a dinette in it. We did everything outside and in rainy weather, it got rather trying sometimes. (As I look back at what we had to bring with us when we were tenting it. Playpen for the younger one to sleep in, diaper pails, trying to keep two kids out of the poison ivy etc.) But now it's more ease of camping I'm looking for than anything else. That's why I got the hard sided camper. Hot and cold water, microwave, built in radio, refrigerator etc. I even have a heated queen size mattress. That's a long way from an 8 X 10 cabin tent with two small kids underfoot!
Well, thanks again and it was so nice "meeting" you both. Happy camping!
Jim
Old 02-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #56

At our seasonal site in Vermont we have a RV stove /oven out on the deck that i picked up used and built a wooden /rolling frame for it...we also carry a 2 burner stove and small gas grill when were on the road camping....out door cooking keeps us in that camping mode....no matter how fancy the RV....we do a little cast iron Dutch oven cooking in the camp fire too . yumm
bikerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #57

Bikerb:
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a Dutch oven? I have a Coleman collapsible oven that will fit over one burner of my two burner stove. Is a Dutch oven similar to that? (You can tell I have been single for a long time asking cooking questions.) I have seen so many references to Dutch oven on this forum that I just have to risk showing my ignorance and ask. But the people on this entire website are so nice I'm sure they won't mind my question. (After they're done laughing.)
Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #58

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-623668058.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	24096

Lol, from the Internet
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #59
jdadoug

Camp Stove

jjdcamper, a cast iron pot with a domed lid, smooth bottom and sometimes a handle is often called a "Dutch Oven".
Now, the cast iron pot that is used outside to cook in is just a little different.... About the only thing different is that it has a flater lid with a rim for setting bricquetts or coals on it. And on the bottom there are three or four legs, and it should have a handle and its called a "Camp Oven".
I use mine quite a bit camping, we cook mostly outside. I like to get up in the morning and put the ole Pyrex coffee pot on the kitchen stove or sometimes I use the electric hot plate outside. jdadoug
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #60

Click image for larger version

Name:	Apple Cobbler in Dutch Oven.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	24107Easy Peasy Apple Cobbler in Dutch Oven..... made often and shared with neighbors!!! Love my Dutch Oven!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote