Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #1

Corner spline? What is this called?

This goes down all four outside corners. They cover a seam. They have all split and need replaced. What is it called and where can I buy it? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	249727
lastayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
FLY4FUN

"Rubber insert molding" (...or, something close to that ;-)). Snaps in...fairly easy to replace. Most RV suppliers have...various colors. (Ebay & Amazon, too, of course).
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:44 PM   #3

I think you're looking for molding trim cover and there are several kinds listed here:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=rv+mold...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Most rv stores sell it.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #4

This is what I bought and just installed: Camco Vinyl Trim Insert with UV Inhibitors for Extended Life - Replace Cracked and Stained RV Trim Inserts (3/4" x 25', Black) (25173) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLW...62E6KY22AH2C9Z

Looks like new, don’t know how long it will last.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #5

Thank you all! Got it ordered and will get it fixed. Love this group for all your help!
Old 03-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #6

Question on this. The door frame uses the same molding but ours came without the plastic insert. Been thinking about adding it. Did none of them come with this or as mine just forgotten?
PapaGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #7

Mine did not come with it. If I think of it correctly, it would have to go around a corner and I am not sure how easy that is.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
Mine did not come with it. If I think of it correctly, it would have to go around a corner and I am not sure how easy that is.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that might be the reason they left it off. Guess I’ll just leave it.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #9

Installation tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastayt View Post
Thank you all! Got it ordered and will get it fixed. Love this group for all your help!
Here's a tip I learned the hard way. This stuff shrinks. And as you go along inserting it, it tends to stretch. In a year or two each end will have some molding exposed.

So as you install it, try to compress it a bit. Original installations unscrew the molding and tuck the ends of the insert into it. With all the caulk that goes on afterwards, it's pretty hard to use this technique when replacing the insert.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #10

Miter it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
How about mitering it? Cut each of the pieces at a 45-degree angle and put a dab of caulk on each when installing.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
How about mitering it? Cut each of the pieces at a 45-degree angle and put a dab of caulk on each when installing.
The frame is curved at the top corners and the molding is a little distorted from being bent around the corner so not sure it would accept the insert properly. Maybe with some heat and patience I could get it to work but it sounds like they weren’t intended to be done that way.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #12

Ah...curved

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGlenn View Post
The frame is curved at the top corners and the molding is a little distorted from being bent around the corner so not sure it would accept the insert properly. Maybe with some heat and patience I could get it to work but it sounds like they weren’t intended to be done that way.
Ah...curved. Well, the spline is pretty cheap. If you feel like playing around, you could experiment and give it the heat gun treatment. Be sure to leave some extra at both ends, since you might not get the curve in exactly the right spot.

Or you could use the old woodworker's trick of making a bunch closely-spaced slits about 1/2-3/4 of the way across, on the inside of the curve.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Ah...curved. Well, the spline is pretty cheap. If you feel like playing around, you could experiment and give it the heat gun treatment. Be sure to leave some extra at both ends, since you might not get the curve in exactly the right spot.

Or you could use the old woodworker's trick of making a bunch closely-spaced slits about 1/2-3/4 of the way across, on the inside of the curve.
I may mess with it some day. I’m pretty picky (that’s why I’m even considering it) so it would have to be one piece with two bends (no slits). I’ve used a heat gun to soften vinyl cove base to do corners so I think that could work. As you said, getting the bends spaced right might be a challenge.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #14

Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaGlenn View Post
I may mess with it some day. I’m pretty picky (that’s why I’m even considering it) so it would have to be one piece with two bends (no slits). I’ve used a heat gun to soften vinyl cove base to do corners so I think that could work. As you said, getting the bends spaced right might be a challenge.
Maybe put it in the track all the way, distorted, and heat it in place to relax it. Stuff more in from the two ends as you go if needed.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Maybe put it in the track all the way, distorted, and heat it in place to relax it. Stuff more in from the two ends as you go if needed.
That might be the best way to attack it. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #16

Thank for the info. Got it off Amazon and it’s perfect!!

Tags
led