Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Cost of Awning for an A Frame

Hi All,

I'm going to pick up my Flagstaff 12SC on Saturday and am very much on the fence about the awning designed to come with the a frame units.

My dealer wants $900 for the awning which I think is rediculous, but the awnings designed to attach to the a frame provides more protection than does the portable awning I already own.

Can anyone out their provide their thoughts and experiences on this subject. I really don't want to spend $900 on an item I already own at $100.

I'd appreciate your input

thanks!

Debbie
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #2

For us it is not worth it. There are a few posts in this forum on the awning with good discussion. I'd suggest giving those a read through, perhaps that will help you decide.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

I will sell you my awning
bouldercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #4

Ours was worked into the price..or should I say, an option that we negotiated. In other words, we gave the dealer the asking price and they included the awning. Between the already discounted asking price + the awning, everyone came away happy...in particular, the DW.

I have come to appreciate the awning and feel it is a well made/conceived addition. It is spendy but the cost was mitigated through working it into the deal. The dealer came out of pocket HIS cost for the awning (which I'm sure was maybe 60% of retail.) $900 sounds high to me...I remembered it being $750 retail or so but that could have changed.

Just like buying new construction or anything like that, sellers are much more willing to negotiate options than price because of the significant mark up. I know this doesn't help you now that you've already negotiated...BUT...you haven't signed on the dotted line either. I would try to get them to throw in the awning for their cost... or better yet, split the retail cost with the dealer.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Cost of screen room

The dealer cost for a Flagstaff A Frame screen room is $450. We just negotiated it in for dealer cost on our new 2013 Flagstaff T12DDST. We picked it up a few days ago and the screen room is awesome!
whitt105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Flagstaff 22FBS

We have an E-Z UP with screens. It's nice to have, but we don't always set it up. I've wondered how well the picnic table would fit under the attached awning. I believe someone posted not to grill in them, but you should search for those posts like "rawlus" advised. Here's a link to one such post, but there are probably more:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ver-17782.html

I agree the attached awning would be really nice when camping in one place for several nights. While on the road and doing "one nighters" I'd pass on setting it up, but that's just the way we roll. Once you reach your destination, the extra attached covered space and screens would be a wonderful luxury!

Good advise from loganmartin:
"I would try to get them to throw in the awning for their cost... or better yet, split the retail cost with the dealer."

I hope you can swing a deal for a discount on the awning. Marketing 101: "Happy customers tell other folks how well they were treated by XYZ Dealership" which leads to more business for them. imo $900 feels like a big rip off. If they can't do any better than that, I'd advise to use the awing that you have. If the dealership won't offer a discount now, you can always buy it later (someplace else, possibly on sale at the end of the season).

Enjoy your new Aframe when you get it home and post some pics.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwilde View Post
Hi All,
My dealer wants $900 for the awning which I think is rediculous, but the awnings designed to attach to the a frame provides more protection than does the portable awning I already own.

Can anyone out their provide their thoughts and experiences on this subject. I really don't want to spend $900 on an item I already own at $100.

I'd appreciate your input

thanks!

Debbie
Hi,

After a rocky start due to some setup issues (Thanks to LM for helping us resolve them.), we've enjoyed using the matching awning for our A Frame. We feel that it doubles our usable living space on our trailer, and it effectively keeps out the critters.

A couple of caveats: The site needs to be wide enough to accommodate the awning, and we plan to use it only if we are staying more than one night at a site (due to additional set up / take down time).

We negotiated the awning as part of our original purchase price. I don't think I would let it add $900 to my purchase. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would purchase it. It is well made, packs back up easily, and is reasonably well thought out. It can take up a significant amount of cargo space in the trailer due its length.

I think I made the comment about using the grill under the awning. I have used our grill under it under very controlled circumstances with no problems. However, I plan to purchase a 10' hose extension for the grill to safely move it out from under the awning. Also, we have moved and used our front dinette table outside under the awning as a substitute for a covered picnic table.

With all that said, I would say that if you don't get it, a nice screened EZ-up type room would be a good substitute at a much lower price.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #8

Any good detail pics of the awning setup? Attachment points, with sides in place, without, poles, camp setup etc. ive only seen the marketing shots of these, nothing up close.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #9

If our awning had been $100 I would have passed. Since it was part of the package, we own one. Now that we have used it a couple of times, I'll replace it if it gets damaged. It does double your space. You can grill under it (don't sue me if you burn down your camper) I would not cook hamburgers or any thing that will cause a grease fire "flame up", but a couple of steaks or some hot dogs are fine. It will set your smoke alarm off...multiple times. If it is not intensely hot, you can leave the camper door open and enjoy the a/c outside. The screen slows the air movement just enough. It would be a great place for a guest to sleep in moderate weather...certainly as good as a tent.
CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Any good detail pics of the awning setup? Attachment points, with sides in place, without, poles, camp setup etc. ive only seen the marketing shots of these, nothing up close.
I might have a few on my Blackberry that I could forward to you...I haven't mastered posting to the forum yet.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

I don't know if these help or not. Basically, there is a "hoop" around the front with three poles that attach to sockets which are sewn in the awning. One at the peak and one on each side. The hoop comes in three segmented pieces for the top front, and a two piece leg on each side. The poles expand to hold the hoop away from the trailer. Every thing else is velcro and stakes to hold down the edges.

CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #12

Hi All,

I'd like to thank everyone for thier thoughts on the awning. My dealer's bottom line is $750 ($650 for the actual awning and then approx $100 on shipping since it comes from back east). Not going with the dealer....
Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwilde View Post
Hi All,

I'd like to thank everyone for thier thoughts on the awning. My dealer's bottom line is $750 ($650 for the actual awning and then approx $100 on shipping since it comes from back east). Not going with the dealer....
You must have really gotten into the dealers "uncomfortable zone" for purchase price then if he wouldn't work with you on the awning....which is a good, too.

LM
Old 06-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #14

Thx, they came down more than I had expected, but then they wanted $400 for a "go pack" which consisted of to, chemicals, a water hose, ac adapter, battery, the water pressure valve that goes between the hose and the camper and purge and fill my propane tanks. Bottom line: I turned down the package but took the battery and ac adapter which was not much at all. The other stuff cost about $35. They wanted $120 to purge and fill my propane. They ended up doing that as part of the deal because they could not complete he walk thru without it. Suffice it to say I saved about $245 on "the package". Overall I am very happy with the service I'm getting from them. Waiting is the hardest part.

The dealer called earlier this week and said hey were prepping my camper and had a problem with the ac in my unit. I will not be taking delivery tomorrow as initially planned, but they are replacing the ac and the thermostat and I should be able to take delivery on the 15th. I'm glad they are doing it that way.....

Deb

Tags
awning, a-frame