Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #41
Flagstaff 22FBS

When you "boon dock" (sleep at a Walmart parking lot) with no power, be sure to unplug the pigtail from camper to tow vehicle (your truck). The furnace very likely drain your truck's battery while you sleep if the camper battery runs too low.

Of course, be sure to plug the pigtail back into your truck before taking off in the morning so you'll have camper brakes and lights.

Below are a couple of links to discussions on this forum about winterizing your camper before you pick up your aframe. If you take some time to read through them you may not be as overwhelmed while the dealer orientation guy walks you through your new camper.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-29237.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-17659.html

Recording the orientation at the dealership is an excellent idea. That will give you another reference for system operation and winterizing.

The state parks in Florida are quite nice, relatively safe and not super expensive either.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
When you "boon dock" (sleep at a Walmart parking lot) with no power, be sure to unplug the pigtail from camper to tow vehicle (your truck). The furnace very likely drain your truck's battery while you sleep if the camper battery runs too low.

Of course, be sure to plug the pigtail back into your truck before taking off in the morning so you'll have camper brakes and lights.

Below are a couple of links to discussions on this forum about winterizing your camper before you pick up your aframe. If you take some time to read through them you may not be as overwhelmed while the dealer orientation guy walks you through your new camper.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-29237.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-17659.html

Recording the orientation at the dealership is an excellent idea. That will give you another reference for system operation and winterizing.

The state parks in Florida are quite nice, relatively safe and not super expensive either.

Deb
haha, boon dock, i love that !......great tips, will unplug the rv cable to the truck at nite, now to read those links,

Thanks Deb !
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Oh yes, dealer told me yesterday that when there are no electical hookups , just run the truck for a bit to recharge the battery, but, i like the sound of the group 31 battery, will call the dealer about that right now !, thanks

ps, i have another rechargeable, 12v, battery that i used for trolling my 12' alumninum boat with a minn kota electric motor....maybe bring that along as a spare ?

might bring my boat along if it doesn't hit the camper. i put the boat, 100lbs, in the bed of my truck....tailgate down, bow of boat sticks out 4' past the end of the tailgate, might be a tad too long though ;(
Welcome to our forum and good luck on your Florida voyage. Please start a new thread and log details/pic of your trip to Florida. I'm planning to do this trip from Canada next Jan. It will be nice to mark your rest stops to sleep over night for free and also the hot spots location you used to update your thread. I will surely use your thread as reference.

Checkout my thread I started from picking up A128S, getting tips from everyone here, winterizing it and storing it for winter: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ger-27602.html

Also I used this thread for winterizing reference:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-29237.html

I used the water blow out method for winterizing. I think it is the easiest and fastest method. I will know if it worked when spring comes.

There a lots of apps for your PDA to help with your trip. I have apple devices, iPad and iPod, these are some free apps I got:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1757819616.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	22959
Mostly works beautifully for USA not for Canada

Are you going solo?
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Welcome to our forum and good luck on your Florida voyage. Please start a new thread and log details/pic of your trip to Florida. I'm planning to do this trip from Canada next Jan. It will be nice to mark your rest stops to sleep over night for free and also the hot spots location you used to update your thread. I will surely use your thread as reference.

Checkout my thread I started from picking up A128S, getting tips from everyone here, winterizing it and storing it for winter: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ger-27602.html

Also I used this thread for winterizing reference:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-29237.html

I used the water blow out method for winterizing. I think it is the easiest and fastest method. I will know if it worked when spring comes.

There a lots of apps for your PDA to help with your trip. I have apple devices, iPad and iPod, these are some free apps I got:
Attachment 22959
Mostly works beautifully for USA not for Canada

Are you going solo?
Yes, I think driving down myself, will have a friend join me for a bit in Ellenton, might take him back to the Cape with me.

No Apple devices here, but, will have my laptop, if i can get internet access down there.

And I will post my trip details with pics here, for sure.

Thanks !
lotsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #45

I leave for fla on 2/2, stopping in charlotte and then faver-dykes state
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #46

Hi Laura June:

You have my curiosity peaked as to why you prefer a pedestal table over the 4 legged one? Also, my mattress is 7" thick. Is yours the same thickness?
I have a 2013 Flagstaff T12RB.
Thanks,
Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post

Deb
There is supposed to be a relay on the 12V feed from the TV that shuts off the connection when the vehicle is turned off, thus not allowing the camper to draw power from the TV. Pretty much all vehicles that have a factory tow package with a 12V should be like this. If wiring was added by someone for 12V feed, brakes, etc., they should have wired in a relay if they knew what they were doing. If no relay was installed, I'd check to make sure they have a fuse installed. It should be as close as possible to the battery or wherever they are drawing the 12V feed from, thus protecting the wiring run to the rear.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #48
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Hi Laura June:

You have my curiosity peaked as to why you prefer a pedestal table over the 4 legged one? Also, my mattress is 7" thick. Is yours the same thickness?
I have a 2013 Flagstaff T12RB.
Thanks,
Jim
Guessing here, I imagine that Laura June prefers the leg room of a single center pedestal over the table's 4 leg's restrictions.

Sorry, I have no info on the mattress...

hth,
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #49

the existing table is poorly made, poorly designed, overly heavy, bulky, and most of the time the legs are in the way for us.

we're replacing with a slightly smaller table (to achieve easier entry/exit in the seating area, increase free floorspace, etc - its just the two of us), with improved construction (plywood instead of sawdustboard with the cheapest laminate on the market) and a center pedestal for easiest setup/takedown and easiest entry/exit (im 6'5" so legroom is a consideration)

we'll have a separate, matching plywood board that will span the rest of the dinette area when in travel mode or when we want it as a bed.

i have the pedestal and plywood, just no time right now to get it all sorted, but come sprint i expect itll be a few hours job.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #50

I noticed the new A-frames have a pedestal. While I like the size of the table, I don't like that it's tipsy. I'd like to modify my current table to a pedestal, is this relatively easy to do?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #51
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
I noticed the new A-frames have a pedestal. While I like the size of the table, I don't like that it's tipsy. I'd like to modify my current table to a pedestal, is this relatively easy to do?
Quite easy. All you need is the right length post (they come in two or three lengths) and two pedestal flanges. A parts shop at just about any RV dealer should stock them, but you can search online too. The ones I bought didn't come with screws so I had to get them at a hardware store. The main thing to be careful of is that you attach the top flange to the table at its center of gravity (balance point), then position the floor flange so that the table is where you want it when set up. When I converted my table I attached the table flange first, set it on the post, set the post in the bottom flange and jockeyed it around to where I wanted it, then drove in the screws. Literally about a five minute job. If the screws will fully penetrate the floor, check underneath first for clearance from gas lines, wires, plumbing and tanks. Done! You may want to put some sealant where the screws come through, if they do.

Your table will still be somewhat tipsy. You can't make it completely rigid and still have it come apart for packing down. I've learned not to lean on the table when getting in or out of the the dinette area.

Here's basically what I used, though I didn't get the parts on eBay. The price is about half what other places are charging, though: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-camper-tr...-/350585697832
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote