Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Depth Under Bed and Storage

Hi:
First time camper - We purchased 2016 Flagstaff T21QBHW in December. I am preparing for our first trip next week. Our trailer is in our garage but I cannot open it in the garage AND I forgot to measure how deep the under the bed storage was.

I was also curious what people typically store under there? Are there any brand of storage containers that fit in there well? Is there something you would not recommend putting in there? The thought would be after our maiden voyage I would store the prepacked storage containers in my basement, limiting future effort.

Any help or advice is welcome and appreciated. I have been digging into other information and feel fil a bit overwhelmed at the moment.
Thanks!
Lamlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
OYO

They're about 17" high/deep and 20" wide. We use plastic tubs and milk crates. Stuff will slide around. I use an expandable closet rod between the cabinets to keep tubs etc in place.

FYI- you can get in the camper if you just raise the roof a couple of inches.

Have fun.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
OYO

I see your layout is a little different than mine. The height would be the same.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #4

We store the porta pottie stuffed into the far back corner 'cuz we haven't had to use it yet. The RVQ 'cuz it comes out at the beginning of the trip and stays out. Our ceramic heater, step ladder, extra blankets, white water hose. Water jugs, electric teapot, gray water bucket, butt pads (but we access those from the side cubby door). Other stuff we 'might' need but don't often need, extra tp, campfire waffle iron, pop up shower tent, spare stuff, etc. Anything we always use comes out at the beginning of the trip. That way I only have to get in and out of that storage space at the beginning and end of the trip.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the info and ideas!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #6

We're new to this as well, just bought our trailer last month but a friend showed us he uses cloths baskets back there. We bought some and they fit great. Much easier to store clothes. Pack the baskets in the house and load them up. They are also very versitile for carrying things to and from the camper.

Instead of the low porta potty that came with the camper, we use a 5 gallon bucket with the snap on toilet seat. Much higher and much easier to clean. We place a trash bag in there with some kitty litter and nothing even hits the actual bucket which is much cleaner and easier to dispose of.

I can't even imagine trying to clean that porta potty with all the creases and spots for things to hide. We place the bucket in a small tent and keep it there.
S037474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #7

Thanks! Not so sure about the bathroom options yet. We shall see...
Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #8

Since we use a mattress topper on top of the bed, opening the bed up to get at things underneath is awkward. We have worked on getting everything kept under the bed to be accessible through the small outside hatch.

As a result we use under the bed for storage of stuff that will be out during setup, and returned immediately or not returned until packing up. Things like chocks, our Lego plates for leveling, wrench for stabilizers, 2ft level, electric hookup cord and extension cords, water hose, drain hose and bucket for sink, lanterns, etc.

We leave the porta-potty at home and use campground facilities. We also leave the RVQ grill at home as I didn't like a grill up against the side of the camper. When we find a table-top grill we like, it will go under the bed, too.

The left side under the bed gets the tools and small stuff like fuses, and holds the 2 burner propane camp stove we use at the table, along with 1lb propane bottles.

The other compartments hold cooking and dining stuff, and our non-refrigerated food.

Hope this helps
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, storage