Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #1

Diagrams

Is anyone aware of diagrams that show the location of appliances, parts, etc in the Flagstaff a frames? The owner's manual is really lacking! We got some information about each appliance, but those illustrations don't show placement in the trailer, location of switches, etc. I wish we had taken photos and notes at our very brief orientation!

I am also confused about the water tank. Does anyone travel with water having filled the tank at home? We are really new at this...obviously! We could use some instruction. If anyone in the Colorado Springs area is willing!
mollypcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 AM   #2

As you use your A-Frame you will learn all you need and if you can not figure something out, ask here.
We took our trailer all the way to Alaska and back with the water tank full, so no problem with it full when leaving home.
I live in Denver and if you get up this way. I would be happy to cover the systems with you, we could use my A-Frame.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
Site Team

no such diagram exists for any FR product.

unless an owner makes their own.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #4

Thanks

I guess I might be making our own diagram as we go....until we get used to everything. It sure would be helpful!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Site Team

When you have a few minutes, remove the covers from all the appliances and write down the make, model # and serial # for all your appliances. Keep a copy in the unit and one at home. This way when you have a problem or need a part, you don't have to go hunt for that info. The dealer gets a build sheet from FR for every unit that has all this info, but they rarely provide it to the customer. if you are getting ready to pick up a new RV, be sure to ask the dealer for the build sheet. Remember that the warranty on the appliances is usually covered by the appliance manufacturer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

We did get the build sheets in our owner's information. It sure is detailed about every little part for repair and/or installation. What is missing is a good user's guide with basic use diagrams, kind of a 'beginner's guide'. But, I am sure it isn't rocket science....we just need to dig in and figure it out. We moved up from a home build teardrop that had light switches and that was it. So this is a learning curve.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
Site Team

The floorplans on the FR site usually shows where the major appliances, etc. are. You could print one out and mark it up to your liking.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollypcb View Post
I am also confused about the water tank. Does anyone travel with water having filled the tank at home?
We fill up before leaving home. We've found that the camper bounces far less with the extra weight the water adds. Plus, the weight is mostly behind the axle, so it offsets some of the weight of the gear we're putting into the front storage trunk, keeping our tongue weight where we need it.

A side benefit is that we can go directly to our site, with no stop to fill the tank. That's especially nice when we're arriving late and in the dark.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
The floorplans on the FR site usually shows where the major appliances, etc. are. You could print one out and mark it up to your liking.
True enough.

Here is the floorplan link for Flagstaff.

Here is the floorplan link for Rockwood.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollypcb View Post
I am also confused about the water tank. Does anyone travel with water having filled the tank at home? We are really new at this...obviously! We could use some instruction. If anyone in the Colorado Springs area is willing!
We live in north Colorado Springs - Northgate area.

It depends on where and when we are going camping for the water tank. Colorado State Parks list the months when water is available, and which sites have hook-ups (on the web). If we are going outside the window (usually summer months) for water, I fill the tank at home. If we don't have reservations for a site with hook-ups, we assume we won't get one, and again fill the water tank before leaving.

Bottom line: I'd rather travel with a water tank and hot water heater full of water than not have water, or have to tow the camper to fetch it.

At our previous house (between Black Forest and Monument), we had well water. This water would smell bad, especially in the hot water heater, after sitting for a couple of months. So I had to empty the water tank upon return home.

I'm hoping the water will stay clean and sweet for much longer, now that we are on city water.

PM me regarding get-together - can be either home. Next Sunday (15 May) is a good date for me.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
We fill up before leaving home.
Same here. It helps in avoiding the flavorful mineral well water in Texas hill country parks. It has no negative effect on camper balance and the camper has ample cargo capacity for the weight. And I never use a full tank over a weekend anyway.

________

The only appliance that is not readily visible from the inside or out is the water pump in the undersink cabinet. Everything else has a distinct cover or vent grille. The least obvious cover is the furnace, which is located inside the street (driver's) side front bench with the water heater. Pull the bench top and have a look. The furnace has its own fuse in that compartment with a different rating from the ones in the converter and you need to know where it is.

Over time, you'll learn to "enjoy" the ability to predict the inside layout of any camper by the locations of the appliance covers and vents.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagram