Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

Disable Battery Charger

How can I disable the battery charger in my a122bh?

I have a solar system and a 1500W inverter, I would like to plug the trailer into the inverter and use the inverter as needed, but I don't want the trailer to attempt to charge the battery while the solar is doing the same thing

Because if i am inverting the 12V into the trailer, I don't want the battery to be charging itself off it's own power (if that makes sense)
z0mbieSt0mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
OYO

I'm no expert here, but I don't think the power converter charges the battery unless it's plugged into 110.

How are you wiring your inverter? I would think you need a switch between the inverter and controller.

This forum is full of info on RV electronics: https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f218/
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Flip the converter circuit breaker off (assuming your unit has a separate converter).
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #4
OYO

This is an A-Frame subforum. The OP is adding an inverter (not OEM). There's no such breaker i know of.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #5

yes. what i'm saying is, I have an inverter that I want to plug the entire trailer into... it's the battery that comes with the trailer, so it's wired to the camper AND the solar kit AND the inverter

Since my trailer charges it's battery when plugged into 110, I need to not allow that to charge the battery as the battery would be, essentially, charging itself off it's own inverted power

i wouldn't be running anything too heavy off it, but would be nice to have
Old 05-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbieSt0mp View Post
yes. what i'm saying is, I have an inverter that I want to plug the entire trailer into... it's the battery that comes with the trailer, so it's wired to the camper AND the solar kit AND the inverter

Since my trailer charges it's battery when plugged into 110, I need to not allow that to charge the battery as the battery would be, essentially, charging itself off it's own inverted power

i wouldn't be running anything too heavy off it, but would be nice to have
Is it just an inverter or an inverter charger? If the later, you'd want to disconnect and uninstall the current converter.

2021 Riverstone Legacy 42FSKG
2016 RAM 3500 DRW
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:50 PM   #7

just a 1500W inverter.

I don't want it to charge at all

is there a fuse or circuit breaker, maybe?
Old 05-15-2021, 09:07 PM   #8

Yes, there's a breaker but it's possible that it also feeds another device, possibly the 120-volt side of the fridge. You'll need to determine which breaker powers the converter by checking the battery voltage with a dc voltmeter and turning each breaker off to see which one causes the voltage to drop slightly, signifying the battery is no longer being charged by the converter.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #9

+1 what 18LT posted! That's exactly what you need to do. Might be hard to tell the voltage difference, though, if solar is also charging the battery at the time. Do it at night, with the trailer plugged into shore power.

Combination inverter/converters in one unit are very rare and expensive. There is likely a completely separate converter with it's own AC circuit breaker on the input side.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #10

The newer A-frames have the converter wired into another AC circuit, often the fridge, because that's the way WFCO supplies their combined panel/converter. When I replacing the WFCO, I discovered this stupid way of wiring the AC circuits. I separated the 2 black wires, and ended up buying 2 half-width circuit breakers to power the converter and fridge separately. I used 10 amp breakers (could get away with 5 amp for fridge) on each, because neither device draws more than 500 watts. But smaller breakers than 10 amp are harder to find at my Home Depot, and the wiring is good for 15 amps.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #11

That is exactly the way I would rectify the problem.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery