Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

Does Cool Cat = AC?

I finally went camping for the first time in my life this September, in my Rockwood A122 at a dog agility trial. Of course there was a huge thunderstorm that weekend. I still loved the camping anyway. I feel I am ready to camp a lot next year for my trials. I am worried how badly I will feel in the heat of summer though.

I have been reading about generators, and air conditioners, and Cool Cats. Looks like a 3000W generator is needed to run AC, but then I read things that say a Cool Cat is not an air conditioner. This has confused me.

So what size generator do I need to run the Cool Cat that came in my A122?

I won't be running power on anything else much. No TV. No microwave cooking. Fridge can run on propane. Lights can run on the battery, but I really just used my handheld lantern anyway as it was more convenient for me. I might charge my cellphone.

I would really like advice about how to power the Cool Cat. Thanks.
2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
MishaFoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #2

Can't speak directly to the genny wattage, but the cool cat is most certainly and AC. Technically and AC / Heat Pump.

I would imagine 3000watts to be sufficient bit I'll leave that to the experts.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #3

MF - Great to know there is another dog exhibitor in the Forum. Welcome! Of the the two motorhomes and a travel trailer that we owned, this A-Frame is my favorite rv with regard to the dog sport.

I show Bullmastiffs and as you know, there are some shows where electricity is first come, first served (if any at all) From experience, I will say it pays to carry at least 50' of 10-12 gauge extension cord because many times the power is not on a post but available inside a building & only by running the cord under a roll up door. haha

I also carry a 2000w Champion generator to run the Cool Cat fans. (It wont power the A/C) I run the rooftops Fantastic Fan in reverse, pulling out the hot air inside the trailer. I rarely run the A/C on 100 degree days as the fans do a great job of cooling the interior. In answer to your question, You'd need at least a 2800w generator to run A/C.

I use a portable solar kit (Nomad Solar Pack) made by Goal Zero to charge up my cell phone and Nook if power is limited. I added portable solar panels this summer and plan to utilize if I run out of generator gas. So far the generator (on econo mode) lasts 2-1/2 days running during daylight hrs while at the shows with zero power.

I replaced lights with LEDs and also use LED puck lighting inside storage areas. I keep LED lantern under the EZ Up & use LED headlamp to walk the dogs on potty breaks on the grounds at nite.

The dogs stay under the EZ Up and I use the sidewalls to block the sun and control airflows. They also have battery fans that hang from their wire crates, they are misted with spray bottle and sometimes lay dripping wet towels over the top of the crates. At a few sweltering summer shows, I have used the outdoor shower to hose them down to keep them cool.

Hope this helps....

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #4

I had a couple people tell me the Cool Cat is a heat pump, and does not work like an AC. That's why I was confused, and thought maybe it had different energy requirements from an AC. I have only started looking at generators, and they usually list what kind of AC they can power. I haven't yet seen any that specifically say what kind of heat pumps they power.

Handbuilder, most of the trial sites I go to are private properties that are dog training facilities in rural areas. They do not provide power, but do offer hoses, mist tents and splash pools for dog cooling. There are a few, more distant trials at fairgrounds, but if I am driving that far away then I prefer to run indoors. But THEN one of these indoor places, that holds many trials, does not allow RVs on the property at all! Just can't win sometimes.

I am planning on going to a couple of trials in Canada in 2015, and already picked out a likely campsite that offers power, Camping Choisy. That will probably be the only location where I will have a chance to use shore power.

Let's see if my picture will show up...

Cool, it worked. See the cornfields?
2013 Grand Caravan
2013 Rockwood A122
MishaFoomin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat