Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #1

Drain? Vent?

I have a A127TH. Located below the floor and underneath the area of the AC is an item I'm not sure of its purpose. Is is a drain? Is it a vent? See the attached photo. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464401004360.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	109291  
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtex View Post
I have a A127TH. Located below the floor and underneath the area of the AC is an item I'm not sure of its purpose. Is is a drain? Is it a vent? See the attached photo. Thanks
On mine it appears to be an overflow drain in the event the primary drain tubes that exit to the outside of camper get plugged up. I had the heat pump cover off of mine and you can see that entire heat pump sets in a pan that has this, what appears to be a drain, in it. Not 100% sure that is the only reason but I now know that my floor will never get wet if drain tubes get plugged up because water will run into this pan and out the floor drain. I asked dealer in the past what this drain or vent was for and he said he didn't even know it was there and didn't have a clue.

I want to also clarify there are two pans. There is the metal pan which is part of the heat pump from which the two primary drain tubes are attached and exit to outside. This is the intended drain. The other pan has the entire heat pump residing in it and has this other drain which exits through the floor.
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Thanks mzak, I believe you're right. This might also explain why I seldom see any water drip from the two primary drain tubes. I know these tubes aren't clogged as I make sure they're free from debris. Thanks again.
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #4

It should drip from the tubes if all is well but it does take some time to build up enough water to begin flow. The only way it should come out that floor drain is if water somehow overflows that metal drip pan or comes from possible condensation elsewhere in heat pump area. I have never actually seen any water coming out the floor drain, just the tubes, but after I removed wooden cover over heat pump I did see a couple spots where water may have dripped and dried up. It might also serve as a vent to allow air flow into this area also but I'm not sure about that. I also have one of these drain/vent things in the floor under refrigerator.
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, vent