Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Dual batteries possible in a122?

When I bought my a122 last month, the dealer told me I could install dual batteries. It came with what I recall as a group 27 battery. I bought a second one that matches the first, plus another case. Even with cutting the handles off the cases, it is just a little too narrow. Do they make a case that holds two batteries?

Has anyone else successfully installed dual batteries? I would like to make this work for extended camping off the grid.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

Talking

I have dual battery, group 27, on my T12RBST. The dealer installed them for me. I did the wiring. They added a new battery frame that sits on the tongue frame just above the battery frame that comes from FR.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

You can use two single battery boxes side by side or fabricate your own box large enough to hold both batteries... I have not seen a dual battery box in a while. There are quite a number who use dual batteries... Since the frames of pop ups and a frames are quite similar I'd also explore threads regarding dual batteries in those sub forums as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

Don't have boxes around my dual batts, wish I did. They are bright green and I'd like them to be a bit more inconspicuous.... need to get one of our robotics team students to build me a box.

But, I am happy to report that the two batts "Deep Cycle Extreme", I think they are 6v, kept me in lights and warm for 6 nights on Northern California Coast last week. Lights (haven't converted to the LEDs yet) on every evening for an hour or two while I stitched away on my handcrank sewing machine. Tunes playing on stereo. Ran heater three separate evenings for one cycle each. (Aframe stays warm much longer on one cycle of heat than the tent trailer did!). Volt meter read 12.44 at the end of 6 nights. Fridge was running off propane and I didn't heat or run water at all. We tend to still 'tent camp', using water from campground and an outside stove. Very pleased with the longevity of the dual batts.
47 Nights
20 Sites
6655 Miles
Carla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...8-16006-2.html

3rd or 4th page to see my mod ..

d-mo
Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

I've never seen a dual battery box for a group 27. You may have to grind off the current rails and mount new ones, Either under or over the frame, depending on how much space you need. A good trailer service shop could do it for you at a reasonable cost.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

I just replaced my 24 battery with 2 - group 27's... I had the same problem you are facing and just wound up building one that moved the batteries 90 degrees from where they were and built my own box.. I just used some extra plywood I had in the garage... Gave it some room, and a lid...Also hard wired a female cord end off it, that stays in the propane tank area until we park, for my solar panel...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Mostly Harmless

I have two Group 31 batteries in a homebuilt frame sitting atop the tongue over the place where the original Group 24 battery sat. The frame is made from three 4-foot pieces of perforated angle iron from Home Depot. One of the angles was cut into three crosspieces, the other two were cut to size as needed. The assembly was bolted together at the corners and bolted to the tongue with self-tapping bolts, the whole thing sprayed black. Two larger plastic battery boxes just fit in the frame. I basically copied D-mo's design. Plenty of watts!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

Oops. They were 3' long perforated angle irons, not 4'.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sounds like the stock battery rack will not accommodate two batteries. I will look into building a custom battery frame, using some of the ideas given here. Thanks very much.

Tony
Tony w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, battery