Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #21
Site Team

Follow-up.
I donno what fridge you have but some 2 door fridges- the ones with
upper freezer and lower fresh food have a heater in the metal strip
between the doors. This heater is DC!! It can suck your battery.
Most have a switch located in the vicinity between the doors to shut
it off.
IF you have that switch be SURE it's OFF.
The heater is to heat the metal so you don't get a little condensation
between the doors.
Sheesh-- who cares about a little condensation! We just want to save
battery power!

Note- some later models have the heater and NO switch to control it.
How cheap can you get?? There is a work around but you might not
have the heater to begin with.... You'll have to check your fridge
model and owners manual and maybe call tech support if you want
to know for sure.....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I recommend a generator and a stand alone charger.
Others will disagree but it works for me.
Note: we all pretty much agree even a small generator is very loud unless
it's a honda or other Inverter type genny.
+1

A standalone charger is preferred for recharging of your battery. They are usually selectable for the battery type and charging amperage best for your setup. The onboard converter operates in a generic mode that won't hurt anything, but won't offer the performance or monitoring you want when using a generator.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #23

With a single 120AH group 31 battery, all LED lights replacing the incandescent, propane fridge, and using a Mr Buddy for heat instead of the onboard, I can get about a week or so from the battery. This is also with occasional water pump and water heater use. The water heater is propane but uses a little power to spark the gas on, control the gas flow. I've also installed a cut-off switch for the radio.

You could connect up your car to recharge the batteries, either with a battery charger or directly via the trailer plug. It might have to idle for a few hours, but might get past a "no generator" restriction. Helpful if you have a quiet idling car
Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #24

Hello,
We have installed cigarette lighter in our trailer (under the dinette seat) to accommodate our volt meter to check the charge on the battery. We also purchased a trickle down solar battery system (one small panel). When we have our trailer parked at our home it is mounted on the house roof keeping the battery charged and we unscrew it from the roof and take it with us to keep the battery charged on trips.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #25

I would take the generator no matter what kind it is. If people can't handle some noise for a couple hours while you charge up then I would politely tell them to move on to the next campground. It doesn't have to be a yamaha or Honda to be campground approved. Most the champions and Coleman's are still quiet enough to use.

The only exception to this would be if your friends genny is some ratted out thing from the 70's with no muffler at all on it! :-)
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
Coleman's are still quiet enough to use.
i hate to disagree but there's NEVER been a Coleman generator that could be called "quiet". they all have decibel ratings above 70db.
i challenge to find any post on any RV forum that a Coleman owner would call it "quiet".
as far as i know, Coleman has NO inverter generators, so none could be quiet enough for a campground.
therefore unless you're boondocking or at motocross races, then a Coleman has no business in a campground, with neighbors nearby.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

i hate to disagree but there's NEVER been a Coleman generator that could be called "quiet". they all have decibel ratings above 70db.
i challenge to find any post on any RV forum that a Coleman owner would call it "quiet".
as far as i know, Coleman has NO inverter generators, so none could be quiet enough for a campground.
therefore unless you're boondocking or at motocross races, then a Coleman has no business in a campground, with neighbors nearby.
Actually they are quiet enough. People over the years have just got upset if you don't spend $6000 on a Honda or yamaha. If you don't like the noise of a generator you probably shouldn't camp in an area without hook ups. If generators are aloud I would never get mad at somebody using theirs. The way I look at is if your looking for peace and quiet 24 hours a day, they make retirement homes.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
With a single 120AH group 31 battery, all LED lights replacing the incandescent, propane fridge, and using a Mr Buddy for heat instead of the onboard, I can get about a week or so from the battery. This is also with occasional water pump and water heater use. The water heater is propane but uses a little power to spark the gas on, control the gas flow. I've also installed a cut-off switch for the radio.

You could connect up your car to recharge the batteries, either with a battery charger or directly via the trailer plug. It might have to idle for a few hours, but might get past a "no generator" restriction. Helpful if you have a quiet idling car
Maybe a few days... See the attachment for "why."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 49 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojo View Post
I have a dilemma maybe you guys can help me with. We are getting ready to head out to yellowstone for a couple weeks we are going to be regular camping (no hook ups)

I was going to install a second battery to the trailer when a friend asked if I wanted to borrow his generator. What would you guys suggest?? Install the new second battery or drive 100 miles to pick up the generator?
Do both, then you can charge your batteries when convenient
Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #30
Denver, CO

Quote:

Actually they are quiet enough. People over the years have just got upset if you don't spend $6000 on a Honda or yamaha. If you don't like the noise of a generator you probably shouldn't camp in an area without hook ups. If generators are aloud I would never get mad at somebody using theirs. The way I look at is if your looking for peace and quiet 24 hours a day, they make retirement homes.
oh sure that such a healthy atitude. yeah for you.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Yes, yeah for me. :-) I just think its wrong to tell somebody they can't do something just because it may upset somebody. If generators are approved at the campground and all they have, or can afford is a $300 champion or Coleman, unless stated, they are breaking no laws. But thats just my opinion, you know the saying..... We all have one.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Do you suppose he would mind to much if I cranked up my lawn mower at his camp for a few hours a day? How about using a trail mower? Or a brush hog?

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Yes, yeah for me. :-) I just think its wrong to tell somebody they can't do something just because it may upset somebody. If generators are approved at the campground and all they have, or can afford is a $300 champion or Coleman, unless stated, they are breaking no laws. But thats just my opinion, you know the saying..... We all have one.
You beg the question that those type of generators are approved for campgrounds that do allow gensets. Something that is in doubt. Many cheap one don't even have National Forest Service approved mufflers, so you can't legally use them for distributed NF camping.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 07-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post

You beg the question that those type of generators are approved for campgrounds that do allow gensets. Something that is in doubt. Many cheap one don't even have National Forest Service approved mufflers, so you can't legally use them for distributed NF camping.
I have a champion, and yes they do have a U.S Forest approved spark arrester on them.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post

Do you suppose he would mind to much if I cranked up my lawn mower at his camp for a few hours a day? How about using a trail mower? Or a brush hog?
Nope, wouldn't bother me. Most weekends we have 250 dirt bikes running all day and 150 generators running at night. So mow away, it's all good with me. You can run your brush hog at night and I still wouldn't hear it over the generators.

It really has been fun, you guys are a hoot. Sorry to the OP, just wanted to give you some facts but at least you got a glimpse of what you will deal with at the camp grounds.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Nope, wouldn't bother me. Most weekends we have 250 dirt bikes running all day and 150 generators running at night. So mow away, it's all good with me. You can run your brush hog at night and I still wouldn't hear it over the generators.
your perspective about generators is not the same for those of us that prefer to camp in state parks and other places that are more natural than a place where motorsports are going on.
we like to camp in the Redwoods where you want to get away from the trappings of the modern world.
yes, there are times that a generator is necessary but you should be a good neighbor when you use it.
i don't have a problem with the Champion 3500 for what you use it for. it's a great affordable one for your type of usage.
in fact, i was going to buy one until i heard one next to a Honda inverter generator and it was a no-brainer to buy the Honda over the Champion.
if you want to buy an affordable inverter generator, Champion makes the 2000w that is almost as quiet as the Honda and much cheaper. and the new 3100w one looks like a great one to compete with the Honda 3000w.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #37

Quote:

It really has been fun, you guys are a hoot. Sorry to the OP, just wanted to give you some facts but at least you got a glimpse of what you will deal with at the camp grounds.
Your preference for loud dirt bike rallies and tolerance for loud generators is fine. If that is the practice where you camp, then I'll stay away and you can have your fun. But dropping the middle of a thread to ridicule others for preferring piece and quite is not. Unlike dirt bike rallies, the common practice at most public camp grounds, where our most of us frequent, is to show courtesy for others by minimizing our impact on others and the environment. If you cannot work within that idea, then I hope you will stay away from those types of places.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #38

I think people are taking link bait. Campers who travel with all the modern conveniences, tend not to think twice about having a generator, any generator, why would you?

Popupers... Who perhaps prefer to martyr themselves with a getaway from modernity, are also often against generators, and any number of other things.... But they love Dutch ovens. Lol.

There's no "right" answer here, and neither side is going to convince the other of their view. This is one of those polarizing topics which at its root is a pointless debate on what is real camping.

Most people are in favor of rules as long as they only require others to aapt to their preferences... Ie the rules are in line with my philosophy. Ie, I hate generators, so I support banning them... By if the rules begin to affect or impact your own enjoyment, then they become a problem. So it's more about finding common ground and working out compromises so that neither side has to lose all enjoyment.

At least, that's how I see it. Do I want kids or dogs at campgrounds? He'll no, can't stand either... But I deal with it, that's my sacrifice for the greater good, my compromise. Lol.

Sorry for getting so philosophical.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #39

seriously ... motocrosscamper ..is just trolling .. dont waste your time ..
Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
seriously ... motocrosscamper ..is just trolling .. dont waste your time ..
Yes, that's what I've been doing here for the last 3 years. I guess I have a lot of trolling thank you's in my inbox.

Maybe I was a little harsh but I've camped at parks in 48 states before my son started racing. I have seen people ask to leave during their vacations, not because they were breaking the rules, but because enough people complained. I think it's unfair to judge and ridicule somebody just because they don't have your preferred setup. If the campground allows generators, the guy with the $300 genny has just as much right to charge his batteries as the guy with dual Hondas.