Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Dumb Question, But How Does the Hot Water Tank Fill Up?

Just four weeks ago, my wife and I purchased our first ever RV, a brand new 2016 A122s. I've learned a bunch in the last few weeks just trying things out on the driveway, reading all the manuals, and reading this forum.

One thing that I'm missing, and I'm sure it's completely obvious, is how does the hot water tank fill up with water? When they did the orientation at the dealer, it was already filled up for the demo and during that one hour, I was overwhelmed with so much information that I didn't think about it until a wee or so later.

Since then, I've drained the water and even winterized it earlier today. But while draining the hot water tank, it dawned on me that I never read, saw, nor figured out how to know when it's full and can be used for hot water (once it's dewinterized next spring).

So far, I'm liking my FR a-frame... I just hope I don't screw something up beyond all repair!

Thanks.

2016 Rockwood A122s
Toyota Sequoia and 4Runner
SoonerWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. If you don't know...

The answer is, like you home, the HWT is in your plumbing. When you hook up a hose to the city water intake - water will flow thru the pipes into the HWT. If you put water into the fresh water tank, when you turn on the pump it will push water into the HWT. Just open a hot water tap to let the air our of the pipes.

Both of these assume you do not have the hot water tank valves in by-pass mode (setting for winterizing the system).

The big thing is, don't turn on electricity to heat the water until you are SURE the tank is full (if empty the heating element burns out immediately). Opening the taps until water comes out of the hot side does the job. Me, I'm chicken, so to make sure the tank is full, I always do the initial heating of water with propane. When I feel warm water coming out, I shut off the propane and switch on the electricity.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #3

Hook up to city water or fill your fresh water tank to use with water pump. Make sure your hot water tank bypass is off and your tank plug is properly seated. Pressure relief valve open. Turn on the water either at city water pump or your water pump open a faucet in the unit and wait for it to fill. Close pressure relief valve, turn off faucet. Then you can turn on water heater. Things we learned the hard way...wrap teflon tape around the threads of anything you have to screw into tank. Don't leave anything you have to screw into the tank out for the winter as rust will set in. Get a tank cleaner and clean it out a couple times a year. Never turn it on if it doesn't have water in it. And be watchful at higher altitudes as the propane burner may not start properly.
2jcsontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

The water heater on the A122 series is propane only. You don't have to worry about burning out the electric element.

If you hook up to city water, simply open the sink or outside shower hot water valve until water comes out. Your water heater tank is now full.

I fill the water tank before a no-hookup camping trip. When the water tank is full, I turn on the water pump, and open the sink hot water valve until water comes out the faucet. This again fills the water heater. Turn off the pump. But because the water tank only has 15-20 gallons (depending on model year), and I have just transferred 6 gallons into the water heater, I top off the water tank after the water heater is full. This gives a total of 21-26 gallons of water on board - which is nice to have in the parched Southwest.

FWIW, my A122 tows better with the water tank and heater full than when they are empty.

Because I store my A122 in the garage, I don't winterize. When I took delivery, the unit was winterized, and I had to reset the water heater bypass valves for normal use. The only time I have ever changed their position is when I replaced the water pump - and that was to stop the water heater from draining back into the pump when I had it disconnected.

The A122 series A-frames are pretty simple to use and maintain compared to larger TT.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (with the 15 gal water tank)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Arches and Capitol Reef National Park
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arches NP campsite resize.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	125923  
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

Thanks so much. That was extremely helpful as it sounds both simple and reasonable. Also, that's good to know that you don't winterize in your garage. I know it may be overkill, but for owning this for only 4 weeks and not knowing everything there is to know, I went ahead and winterized it today, even though I too store it in the garage. I'm thinking I may not do this in the future, but for this first year, I'm trying to not leave anything to chance.

Thanks again.

2016 Rockwood A122s
Toyota Sequoia and 4Runner
SoonerWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

Congratulations on your new RV. May you have many safe and happy trips.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Smile Water Heater Propane Issue at High Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jcsontheroad View Post
Hook up to city water or fill your fresh water tank to use with water pump. Make sure your hot water tank bypass is off and your tank plug is properly seated. Pressure relief valve open. Turn on the water either at city water pump or your water pump open a faucet in the unit and wait for it to fill. Close pressure relief valve, turn off faucet. Then you can turn on water heater. Things we learned the hard way...wrap teflon tape around the threads of anything you have to screw into tank. Don't leave anything you have to screw into the tank out for the winter as rust will set in. Get a tank cleaner and clean it out a couple times a year. Never turn it on if it doesn't have water in it. And be watchful at higher altitudes as the propane burner may not start properly.
To resolve the higher altitude issue (that's where we camp in the Sierra Nevada), I crack open the hinged exterior water heater cover an inch and tie it off with a twist-tie that's attached to the retainer and threaded thru the slot in the cover then wrapped back around the retainer. The problem at high altitude is that the burner starves for oxygen and the igniter cycles off and on repeatedly.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
Insert witty title here

On a side note, DO NOT turn on your water heater when it's empty. You'll melt the heating element.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
The water heater on the A122 series is propane only. You don't have to worry about burning out the electric element.
If this is correct and I assume it is, cautions about ruining the electric element are not applicable.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #10

I think it depends how cold your winters get. We forgot to winterize one year (I thought he did, he thought I did) anyway, it didn't get done. I had quietly hoped it would be ok, since trailer is stored in our shop (see photo). The first trip of the year resulted in the discovery of a couple hairline cracks in the pipe under the kitchen sink. Don't take a chance. Winterize if you live in a freezing winter climate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161122_185747.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	731.2 KB
ID:	125973  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

HWT

To prevent the next year problem of turning on the water heater with the by- pass in winterize setting is to switch the valves back to normal setting after you finish winterizing so it is ready to go next year.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, tank, water, water tank