Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

durability

Last week we were suddenly hit by severe winds. The A122s was up out in the driveway and I didn't have time to go out and get it down. Our house had a casement window ripped off and a shed destroyed. Full sized travel trailer one block over was flipped and destroyed. Silos at the grain elevator were destroyed. Trees down everywhere....70mph winds with a recorded high of 109 mph. The aframe was totally intact with only a minor amount of dampness on a pillow that was up against the front hinge by the dinette.

It survived with stabilizers down on 2x10's and no additional wind kits other than the stock pins FR puts in the wall/roof sections. We got very lucky, but I'm impressed the thing stayed put and together.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

Wow, that's incredible! Was the side of the camper getting hit by the wind or was the front/back facing into it?
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Impressive and lucky. Glad y'all stayed safe inside the sticks and brick house during the storm.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

The front roof took the brunt of the wind with the stove side wall getting some of it. I stuff 2" thick foam in the peaks and that side was still barely stuffed in place, so there was some minor side wall movement.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
World Traveler Member

I have had my A194HW for about a year and an a half and I do know to watch the winds upon setting up an down but when up it seems really strong and it has taken some good winds on our coast. My problem is the over all durability as in this same time I have had to repair my toilet enclosure from separating from the wall and I have also had to replace the microwave and windows leaking and water pump not working. Now just yesterday before a week long trip I test every thing in the trailer and I found the Oven gas pipe hanging with out a holding screw and the hot water heater did not work as one of the grounding wires was off due to a broken screw head.
Now lucky I am an electronic technician and was able to fix it all but these trailers without shocks are just vibrating there self's to death on the road. My bigest disadvantage is I live in California and it has some of worst roads in the USA.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

If the pillow was close to a bubble window, well, then...
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote