Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #1

Easy Touch RV Thermostat Installed

Ive been lurking here for years reading the forum for my 2016 A 212 HW. Ive done the gas strut upgrade for replcement of the lift motor. So now im posting and hopefully giving back.
My camper has the Dometic under bench heat pump/ ac, propane furnace, and Dometic digital thermostat.
For years my HVAC unit would short cycle in heat or cool. Fan comes on for 15 sec, shuts off for a minute, then do it again for few more times untill ac compressor runs and it cools, heat pump did close to same, but compressor kick on more often. Thermostat set on 78 for cooling, and would never change during these short cycles. I covered tstat with a towel ell thing cool air is hitting it and causing short cycles, but it did same thing. So I guess it has like a 1 degree temperature erare differential, which is to small for aframe. I also have a air diverter on unit to push air towards roof.
So I seen the easy touch rv tstat on micro air website when I bought my soft starter, and decided to give them a call. The tech told this tstat will fix this problem.
I ordered the 351 in black, got it in a few days, just in time to go camping at Hungry Mother sp in Va.
Install was super easy just like their video, only 3 wires, +12, -12, and a comm wire.
It fit very well where the old one went. Turned it on and all my HVAC was there. I downloaded their app and turned on my bluetooth as its needed to set up the wifi. Now to be honest, I didn’t really care about this extra stuff, but hey I paid for it.
I turned on the a/c in the driveway, camper was 80 degrees, set it to 78, unit ran to 77 and shut off. Temp went to 79, fan started, few seconds later compressor started, it ran to 77 and shut off. No short cycle. A +++
Next day went camping to Va, used a/c during the afternoon and no more short cycling. In the evening it was getting cool, down to 54 morning low, so set it to heat pump at 68 degree. It ran middle of night, and wifey sais didn’t short cycle.
Got up, made a fire and coffee in the morning, later heard other half stirring. So sitting by the fire, coffee in left hand, phone in right, I raise the temp to 70. Heard unit come on, put phone away. That was worth the extra cost.
I know this is alot to spend on a tstat, but if you think how much a new HVAC unit cost, and short cycle loves to kill units, I think its worth it.
Thanks for reading
Bill k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2EDA6018-E610-4BF2-A2C9-0233398177FB.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	256330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBE8DFB4-57CD-4DCF-9F83-425481F623C8.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	256335   Click image for larger version

Name:	5029C673-2E1B-4BE9-99E0-4725F3CB3DEA.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	256336   Click image for larger version

Name:	645D2B33-2BF9-4D81-837D-33355F09D579.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	256337  
Billk28078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

Here we are at Hungry Mother SP in Va
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	452377DA-BC02-4789-8CF0-BB05AF6D6432.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	797.0 KB
ID:	256339  
Old 06-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
OYO

Interesting Bill.

I hate the thermostat in our A-frame.

I'll add this to my wish list.

Thanks!
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Thanks to you Craig, i did the lift motor delete from you.

Bill
Old 06-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #5

Thanks for post. The brand Is Micro Air?
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #6

Love mine

I put one on my 40' Cottage that stays down in FL. It does a great job and controls two roof units, one a heat pump, and the LP furnace.
I control from NC where I spend the summer. For a brush fire, I shut both units off so I don't get any smoke inside. Most of the time one is on 85 F and the other on 87 F and that keeps the moisture down.
This was the only T'stat I could use on the 2 Dometic units due to the wiring used for then. Plug and play.
Mfg. is easy to work with too. I have had it for over a year.
Steve
Escapenrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billk28078 View Post
Ive been lurking here for years reading the forum for my 2016 A 212 HW. Ive done the gas strut upgrade for replcement of the lift motor. So now im posting and hopefully giving back.
My camper has the Dometic under bench heat pump/ ac, propane furnace, and Dometic digital thermostat.
For years my HVAC unit would short cycle in heat or cool. Fan comes on for 15 sec, shuts off for a minute, then do it again for few more times untill ac compressor runs and it cools, heat pump did close to same, but compressor kick on more often. Thermostat set on 78 for cooling, and would never change during these short cycles. I covered tstat with a towel ell thing cool air is hitting it and causing short cycles, but it did same thing. So I guess it has like a 1 degree temperature erare differential, which is to small for aframe. I also have a air diverter on unit to push air towards roof.
So I seen the easy touch rv tstat on micro air website when I bought my soft starter, and decided to give them a call. The tech told this tstat will fix this problem.
I ordered the 351 in black, got it in a few days, just in time to go camping at Hungry Mother sp in Va.
Install was super easy just like their video, only 3 wires, +12, -12, and a comm wire.
It fit very well where the old one went. Turned it on and all my HVAC was there. I downloaded their app and turned on my bluetooth as its needed to set up the wifi. Now to be honest, I didn’t really care about this extra stuff, but hey I paid for it.
I turned on the a/c in the driveway, camper was 80 degrees, set it to 78, unit ran to 77 and shut off. Temp went to 79, fan started, few seconds later compressor started, it ran to 77 and shut off. No short cycle. A +++
Next day went camping to Va, used a/c during the afternoon and no more short cycling. In the evening it was getting cool, down to 54 morning low, so set it to heat pump at 68 degree. It ran middle of night, and wifey sais didn’t short cycle.
Got up, made a fire and coffee in the morning, later heard other half stirring. So sitting by the fire, coffee in left hand, phone in right, I raise the temp to 70. Heard unit come on, put phone away. That was worth the extra cost.
I know this is alot to spend on a tstat, but if you think how much a new HVAC unit cost, and short cycle loves to kill units, I think its worth it.
Thanks for reading
Bill k
Works Good, Looks Good..............Good Job, thanks for sharing!
Old 06-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #8

Not defending the Dometic thermostat - I think the interface is awkward to say the least - but I'm pretty sure there is a setting to change from 1 degree to 2 degree swings allowed. I'll have to look up and report back.

I do like that the replacement fits in the same space.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #9

Bill, thanks for the detailed post. It is sharing like you did that makes this forum so valuable!
BigEZ17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #10

My Dometic does have a 1 or 2 degree setting but mine cycles on and off excessively and I have it set on 2 degrees. I would like to set it higher but cant. I'm looking into this suggest thermostat for that purpose and I dont like her the Dometic touch pad works.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #11

There is a temp differential of 1 and 2 degrees, but that is for heat only. The easy touch has the same for heat only also. I believe the Dametic is to adjust the propane only.
I also covered the 1 inch diameter hole behind the dametic tstat, that did nothing but waste tape.
I even unbent the temperature sencor on the bottom right corner of the dametic tstat, that did nothing.
As a big bonus, the easytouch has a 2 year Warranty.
Thanks for all the coments.
Bill
Old 06-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #12

Bonus feature

Have you ever wondered what the temperature is inside your camper while your towing it ?
Turn on bluetooth, run the micro air app on your phone, top left corner shows inside temp.
Outside temperature is not accurate, we can blame dometic for that. Their sensor has problems.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #13

Billk it sounds like what I need. Seems from what your saying in the 2 degree differential they both have your new one performs much better then the Dometic.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:26 AM   #14

Both tstats have a temp differential you can adjust from 1 to 2 degrees for heat only. Cooling is fixed and non adjustable.
Since using the easytouch tstat it stoped my ac from short cycling, so it seems to have a larger cooling differential than the crappy dometic tstat.

Tags
led, thermostat