Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #1

Electric water heater modification

Has anyone added the electrical modification tot their water heater so they can run off propane or electricity? Would love feedback on how the modification went.
Thingswesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #2

I guess I am confused. Most of the Suburban 6 or 10 gal. water heaters can already run on either or both. What kind/brand are you referring to?
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
I guess I am confused. Most of the Suburban 6 or 10 gal. water heaters can already run on either or both. What kind/brand are you referring to?
This thread is in the tent/pop-up subsection. Most of these type RVs have propane only water heaters

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #4

Sorry about that. I was just looking at the "recent discussions" section. Question makes sense then.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingswesaw View Post
Has anyone added the electrical modification tot their water heater so they can run off propane or electricity? Would love feedback on how the modification went.
The water heaters in A-frames and PUPs are propane only.

To make the modification you should have a spare CB slot on your panel and wire the water heater as a separate AC circuit.

Since a useful electric heating element is going to be 10+ amps, you will have to watch for everything on (A/C, water heater, microwave) at once overloading your 30amp service.

Have not done the mod myself. I don't use the water heater during the summer and often dry camp in cooler months. During summer I use a small electric coffee pot or teapot on stove to supply our very limited hot water needs.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Site Team

They make an aftermarket add-on called a hott rod. We have several members who use it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Please post the make/model of your water heater and we can better advise.

The Hott Rod installation has been discussed with mixed opinions.

It isn't a very big element so it takes some time to get the water up to temperature and longer to recover than factory tanks with an electric side.

It also removes 'most' of the anode (if equipped) so there is less tank protection.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #8

The water heater on propane uses so little propane I can't understand why you would trouble yourself with trying to make it electric.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
Sorry about that. I was just looking at the "recent discussions" section. Question makes sense then.
The thread location is at the top of the page.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

go to heater outside, look left side under burner tube. Is there a black on off switch located there if it is dual ,gas/electric.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
go to heater outside, look left side under burner tube. Is there a black on off switch located there if it is dual ,gas/electric.
Not always...

I've had two R/Vs with Atwood water heaters where the electric switch was located on the BACK of the water heater tank on the electrical connection box or in a separate control panel.

Again, we don't know the OP's make/model so it may be/may not be a Suburban which you are referencing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #12

I installed the Camco Hot Water Hybrid Heat Kit that I purchased off of Amazon. Everything is color coded and the installation instructions are very well written and illustrated. After deciding on how I was actually going to route the wires and steal the 120 volt supply, it was super easy, taking all of an hour from start to finish. I am very happy with the result and although it takes longer to heat the tank using electricity than on propane, I still enjoy plenty of hot water for dishes and such. Our unit only has an outside shower that we have used exclusively as a dishwashing station, but If I ever do take a shower, I would also crank up the propane for faster heating.
Pcolawinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, electric, heater, water, water heater