Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Electrical outlet failure - input please

I am new to the forum and have been impressed with the topics thus far. So I thought I would ask a question regarding a problem we are experiencing. We recently purchased a new 2016 FR 19TQBHW. We bought Forest River because of the quality of the product as compared with other mfg's. We have been out in it about 4 times now. A problem with the 2 electrical outlets located near the bed and sink has just arisen. These 2 outlets have no electricity coming to them. Both of them previously worked. The outlet (with the GFI) located by the heater vent and fuse area is working great. I have reset the GFI several times but it did not solve the problem.

I have no idea what happened as the outlets previously worked perfectly. Before I haul it to the dealer 20 miles away, I thought I would see if anyone else had that experience. I know it is under warranty but would rather troubleshoot at home vs the journey to the dealer. THANKS
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

Did you check the wires going into the outlets? Maybe not tightened well during manufacture.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

This happened to me in our previous Motorhome. I'm willing to bet, if you look close, there is another GFI somewhere. It might be located in an area outside, or around the kitchen area. Near the entry door maybe. But somewhere there is another GFI.
When you find it I'll bet you will find it tripped. Resetting it should cure the problem.
Hope this helps you.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

seems to me you have more than a gfi problem ..but maybe a bit of a wiring problem .. just my opinion .. but i have had to reset my gfi a few times .. but everything came back alive .... i think it could be a time to visit the dealer for service ... always good to have a base line to work with on record .. if you run into any other electrical problems ..

d-mo
Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #5

There is only one GFI on the camper, so if it is hot, the "downstream" plugs should be too. If you are comfortable working with electricity, I'd check the outlets with a multimeter then start testing the wire as it comes out from the GFI. That should tell you if it is a bad gfi or a wiring problem.

If you uncomfortable with electricity, you can unplug the power cord from the wall and pass the big RV connector inside. Then use the multimeter to check for continuity on the camper wiring to the power cord. It will accomplish much the same thing.

Even if you don't want to fix an electrical problem yourself, it is nice to understand the problem so you can better explain it to the service writer at the dealer.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
This happened to me in our previous Motorhome. I'm willing to bet, if you look close, there is another GFI somewhere. It might be located in an area outside, or around the kitchen area. Near the entry door maybe. But somewhere there is another GFI.
When you find it I'll bet you will find it tripped. Resetting it should cure the problem.
Hope this helps you.
X2
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 PM   #7

With no shore power connected, remove the outlet covers and then the outlets and inspect for tight connections. If they use the stab-in connection in the back of the outlets rather than the side screws, pull on the wires. Stab-ins are notorious for poor connections.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
I am new to the forum and have been impressed with the topics thus far. So I thought I would ask a question regarding a problem we are experiencing. We recently purchased a new 2016 FR 19TQBHW. We bought Forest River because of the quality of the product as compared with other mfg's. We have been out in it about 4 times now. A problem with the 2 electrical outlets located near the bed and sink has just arisen. These 2 outlets have no electricity coming to them. Both of them previously worked. The outlet (with the GFI) located by the heater vent and fuse area is working great. I have reset the GFI several times but it did not solve the problem.

I have no idea what happened as the outlets previously worked perfectly. Before I haul it to the dealer 20 miles away, I thought I would see if anyone else had that experience. I know it is under warranty but would rather troubleshoot at home vs the journey to the dealer. THANKS
Hi not sure what your floor plain is? Model you have listed above dose not match an internet search. Dose the tt have a bath room If it dose look in there for a GFI pluge. If not carefully check all the plugs inside and out for an other GFI plug. It could also be a bad wire connection between GFI plugs. If you are not comfortable with electricity make an appointment with dealer to have it serviced. Or they may know where to reset the power to the plugs with a phone call.

hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 AM   #9

Check for a second GFCI it could even be outside on the wall.

Good Luck !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
Site Team

The camper in question is a Flagstaff T19QBHW unless I'm badly mistaken. It's a tent camper and there's no way they put more than one GFCI in it.

I'm with Bluepill on the probable problem. Most likely a bad or loose connection on the stabs either at the GFCI or one of the other receptacles in line.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post

Check by your bathroom sink for another GFI. It is probably the closest GFI to your bedroom and it sounds like it is tripped.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #12

I had a hair dryer incident in my Pheonix. It fried the gfi. I had to replace the one in the bathroom.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Check by your bathroom sink for another GFI.
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Geneseo View Post
I had to replace the one in the bathroom.
The OPs camper does not have a bathroom nor was a bathroom even an option. Ergo no GFI to reset or replace in the bathroom.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #14

It's an aframe.. not a tent camper. .. probably only one GFCI.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The OPs camper does not have a bathroom nor was a bathroom even an option. Ergo no GFI to reset or replace in the bathroom.
Ok, so much for that idea.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

as a former fr tech - seen bad connections a few times in models as big as a lodge and small as a HW a frame, go to last outlet with power and chase the wires down. all you can do
riverrat958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
People often pay no attention to which section or sub-forum the OP starts the thread.
Therefore the OP often get suggestions that have no bearing on the type of RV they have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
People often pay no attention to which section or sub-forum the OP starts the thread.
Therefore the OP often get suggestions that have no bearing on the type of RV they have.
I understand. But it seems reasonable to point out that the well meaning advice is not applicable. Particularly with new forum members like the OP.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 10-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #19

Most RV's use a speed box outlet which is even worse than using the quick connect on a regular receptacle , check all your outlets on that circuit . Speed boxes just push the wire into a brass " V" and if they don't get it all the way pushed down it can work loose and you lose the power to the box.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #20

I have a Solaire 163x that the GFI fried after my daughter used her 1800 watt hairdryer. Had to replace the GFI which feeds all the power to the other outlets.
Pilot172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical