Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #1

Fastening mirror

Hi,
I have a 2019 Rockwood A122. The interior mirror is held to the sidewall by two capped head screws...
One of the screws has pulled through and no longer holds, now I'm left with one screw holding it up and I'm afraid it's going to pull through also.

Any ideas on how to repair and re-fasten to the wall?

Thanks in advance!
Jakeman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Pop the caps off the screws and remove the mirror in the holes insert some drywall anchors I recommend the metal type that expand to the back of with wall then reinstall the mirror. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Pop the caps off the screws and remove the mirror in the holes insert some drywall anchors I recommend the metal type that expand to the back of with wall then reinstall the mirror. JMHO
I suspect it's an outer wall so those might not work.

You could try putting some Gorilla glue on the screw and reinserting it after spraying it with water. Gorilla glue expands and may also adhere to the styrofoam in the wall.

Welcome to the forums!
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #4

Yeah, it's a fairly thin outer wall, so I'm not sure how well the drywall anchors will work...

I'm more inclined to try the gorilla glue... Why spray with water? And spray what exactly - the screw hole?
Old 04-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #5

The walls of these rigs are aprox 1.5 to 2.0" thick with thin covering outside and thin covering inside. Gorilla glue is water activated I myself would not do a repair with it. The dry wall anchor is aprox .25" in depth and spreads the load of the faster out with that said your rig do what you think is best.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #6

Not sure if the image worked, but is that the metal anchor you are thinking?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:52 PM   #7

Why not just forget about the screws altogether and spread some contractor's cement on the back of the mirror and stick it on the wall. Assuming you never want to remove it from the wall ever again.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Why not just forget about the screws altogether and spread some contractor's cement on the back of the mirror and stick it on the wall. Assuming you never want to remove it from the wall ever again.
Good idea, but a note of caution....

If that mirror is in some type of holder, that will work.

If that mirror has no backing... just the silvering that makes it reflective... you need a special mirror glue that won't eat the silver. We had to do that in our rig and I found the glue in the local hardware store in the section that sells mirrors.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:36 AM   #9
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman33 View Post
Yeah, it's a fairly thin outer wall, so I'm not sure how well the drywall anchors will work...

I'm more inclined to try the gorilla glue... Why spray with water? And spray what exactly - the screw hole?
Water is what activates Gorilla glue. If you have some put a bead on something and spray it and observe.

Depending upon how large the hole in the wall is you could stick the screw through the mirror, put the glue on the screw, spray the screw, press the mirror and screw into the wall.

That being said: there's a crazy variety of drywall anchors/molly bolts out there and you could probably find one that would work.

I just have a hard time picturing how it's going to expand through the styrofoam and actually hold.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #10

You could try the old fashion method and put a few wooden match stick ends in the screw hole with a dab of wood glue and then screw the mirror back in place.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #11

Hanging a Mirror

I used the command strips that are for picture hanging type and it has worked great.
JoArt is offline   Reply With Quote