Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #21

I was not charged for my PDI either and they filled my propane tanks as well. They also fixed a few minor things on the spot, like a cracked lens on one of the marker lights.

Marty
Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #22

Like everyone else. Has stated it is a scam. Don't know of anyone dealer who charges for PDI. I would not deal with them.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #23
Bubblehead Elite Rank

First, and this isn't being a smartbutt, but...why hard side pop-up? I looked at them hard but really couldn't justify the price point. I did REALLY want to like the toy hauler/front patio one ($24k!!) but I went another direction. I've not seen any hardside pop up campers in the 5 trips we've made this year (but I've seen a TON of the high wall tent ones which aren't cheap either). Why is this your choice?

Is there a local campground? If so, go walk around and look at campers. If someone is sitting outside go up and talk to them. Lot's of campers love to help..it's one of the best things. Not only that but a lot of CG's have that 'old crusty handyman'....they're a fountain of information. "See that <insert brand> Model over there? Looks nice...you won't believe how many I've seen them with that <insert usual problem> and they have to go back to dealer."

How about local state park forum? I know here (NC) a lot of the state parks have official or unofficial forums. Another good place (especially if you're ONLY camping in a certain area) to get the lowdown on what does and doesn't work.

Here...and some others (iRV2.com, RVtrader.com) have great areas to read up on too.

You do understand you're shopping during the height of the season and this has been a banner year for RV sales (so...you don't have as much bargaining power right now).
JayNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #24

I own an A213HW - highly recommend this type of camper if you won't have more than 3 people going. I travel alone with my dog, but it's super easy to set up and takes about 5 minutes is all -- that's want I liked about it. My sales literature came with a DVD of how to set it up. However if no DVD is provided, you can find it on youtube as well. I also got an inspection tour, at no charge, when I picked up at the dealership. Nobody should charge for that ! I also pull it with my Ford Escape and it'll tow about 3,000 lbs, so it's well under the limit. Hope you find your perfect camper and enjoy !
jncadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #25

There's a 2017 Forest River FLAGSTAFF T21DMHW sitting at Chisolm Trail RV in Albuquerque.

2017 Forest River FLAGSTAFF T21DMHW | Albuquerque, New Mexico | Chisolm Trail RV
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #26

No matter who you buy from, here is a very thorough list of items to check during a PDI. You won't have everything on this list, but it covers just about everything.

RV Inspection Checklist
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #27

RUN !!!!
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNC View Post
First, and this isn't being a smartbutt, but...why hard side pop-up? I looked at them hard but really couldn't justify the price point. I did REALLY want to like the toy hauler/front patio one ($24k!!) but I went another direction. I've not seen any hardside pop up campers in the 5 trips we've made this year (but I've seen a TON of the high wall tent ones which aren't cheap either). Why is this your choice?
The OP is looking at an A-frame trailer.
They are very popular and we see a lot of them on the West Coast.
Chances are that the OP has a smaller tow vehicle that limits anything bigger or heavier.
Or maybe it's the simplicity of an A-frame that is appealing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #29
Bubblehead Elite Rank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP is looking at an A-frame trailer.
They are very popular and we see a lot of them on the West Coast.
Chances are that the OP has a smaller tow vehicle that limits anything bigger or heavier.
Or maybe it's the simplicity of an A-frame that is appealing.

I know what he's looking for. I looked at them too. The only 'official' reason for them over a tent pop-up I have gotten is from someone who purchased one (and a salesman said this too) is certain parks have 'soft side' restrictions. They (buyers) are not local (Michigan). Is that also West Coast thing? I've seen Tent Campers and Hybrids at the local State and Federal parks (NC and SC). If it's because you don't want it sticking up in your rear view I get that...one of the reasons I started with pop-ups when I was shopping. And...I've helped friends set up their pop-ups and it's not THAT much faster than a small non-slide TT. I was just curios since I know no one (local) who has one. Nor have I seen any in my, admittedly short, experience.

Aren't he hard sided ones heavier than comparatively sized soft sided ones? I've got a RAM 1500 but my TT wet is probably right at 3000-3100 pounds (2250 plus gear/food/water). Is the tongue weight on a hard side lower than the tent ones? Carry more?

Again, I'm not trying to argue...I'm trying to get a bead on why they're more desirable than a soft sided pop up or a small TT. (Which is the way I went). The toy hauler one I looked at was very cool...till I got the price. My daughter wants a pop up to co-camp with us...which is why I'm still researching.

Cheers...
JayNC
JayNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #30

We had a Coleman pop up, got tired of dealing with wet / moist canvas when packing up. We now had a Flagstaff T21TBHW and love the ease of setup and take down AND not having to wait for the canvas to dry, otherwise you'll have to setup when you get home to let it dry out or suffer the "rot" of the canvas.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #31

Biggest reason is no wet canvas. But they are usually couples trailers because they really aren't that big.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #32

Having owned 2 conventional pop-ups before, the biggest attraction of the A-frame to us was the quick set-up and take-down. It is significantly faster than a PUP - I've actually measured at 15 minutes, with a third of that going to connecting/disconnecting the WDH (I need WDH towing with a minivan)

The convenience factor allows us to store the A-frame in the garage, decide to go on a trip, and be on our way in less than 2 hours. This includes hook-up, packing clothes and food. If conditions are not conducive to a good trip at the campsite, 15 minutes to be ready to move on or go home works nicely for us. One night trips are a lot of fun with the A-frame.

As was pointed out, there isn't a lot of room inside. Opening up floor space by extending the end bunks in a conventional PUP doesn't happen with an A-frame.

As was also pointed out, hard sides are required in certain campgrounds at Yosemite and other locations with severe bear problems. The wife does like the hard sides better when we are camping in bear country.

just our experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #33
Scoundrel

Friends of ours love their A-frame!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #34

Camped a couple weeks ago with a big coleman pup next to us. They had not just the 2 ends but also a side extension. It took them a very long time to fold that thing up. We were folded up in under 10 minutes.
That was just one of the reasons we went with the A214HW. The residential flush toilet was another, though we won't use the inside shower and I have modified that to create more counter space during the day.
dhubbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #35

OP has not said if this unit is brand new? Dealers will try to charge for a PDI on a used unit. Free on a new model.
My first RV (used 2005 Outback) the dealer tried to charge me $700 for the PDI (plug it in and verify everything works)
They told me the trailer was sold as is. I started to walk, they plugged it in, waived the fee and fixed everything that did not work.
I did pay way to much for the trailer, had issues but I fell in love with the model.
Traded it back 3 years later to the same dealer and raped them on the trade.
There are 1000's of rigs out there with as many dealers selling them. If it does not "feel" right, it is not.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcangler View Post
We have the 213hw, in addition to what other said to check, also check anywhere where screws are placed in walls. Our toilet enclosure screws around the hinges were coming out and the enclosure was replaced one month later. Also screws where bed boards and bench boards hinge to wall coming out. Not a deal breaker, just annoying. I would advise also, when its up, turn off all the lights and make sure no daylight is showing up at the top where all the walls meet. We had one point with a small hole, did not leak but you don't want bugs to come in either. All in all a great little trailer.
Thank you!

I was inspecting mine today and noticed a few things that where loose. i got to take a closer look at lighting coming in when i do my walk around when pick it up Thursday
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNC View Post
A Few reasons as to why,
Price, ill be paying just over 15k for it after tax

Accessibility. I have a disabled father and I'm still looking to making more memories with him. He needs a cpap, and is on oxygen. And needs to be close to a bathroom. Having 2 separate twin beds for us is great. Personally im a tent canned beans guy. I love getting lost somewhere its just us or myself, Dad cant do it anymore. I will be boon docking more than anything. and have no plans for a generator, not staying at a RV park. Camping and RVing though close, is 2 different things in my opinion.

Ease of use. Really seems to be easy to use, i don't need the room of a RV, I'm going to be outside fishing or next to the campfire anyway. A pop up tent trailer was never on my list because of the potential costs of replacing the canvas. and I've gone though 8 or 10 tents in my time. I'm not ruff with my tents or anything they just wear out on me.

Tow vehicle. I have a small truck, a 2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7l V6. With a factory tow installed. Im well with in my tow weight of my new Camper
bradaz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradaz79 View Post

A pop up tent trailer was never on my list because of the potential costs of replacing the canvas.
Hmm. Planning to poke holes in the canvas? I had my Coleman pup for 20 years. Other than not being as clean as when new, the canvas was just as good when I gave it away after 20 years as when I bought it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #38

Thank you

I would like to thank everyone for you help and advice. Its nice to be among others who share and like to help others. I Thank you

i inspected the trailer again and saw a few things that needed fixed. i asked if its been sitting on the lot a long time and they said since Febuary. Got my attention and looked at it closer, saw some loose hinges but in all a great shape like new condition.

i told the salesman I wasn't going to pay that ridiculous $700 charge to show my how to use my camper, free filled propane tanks and a battery and that it needs to be included in with the purchase. They still tried to sell it to me, and i asked "You're honestly going to try and sell me a trailer without a battery when i need a battery to open the roof?" He gave me a puzzled look left to go talk to somebody and came back and said that there would be no charge.

They are Fixing the things that need to be fixed, i go pick it up on Thursday, sign the final paperwork and take it home.

Yes i wont sign anything untill i see everything running on shore power, ac, heater, fridge etc.

So am i satisfied with this dealer? id give t a 4/5 stars for a first time buyer

So now im the proud owner of a Flagstaff T21TBHW A-Frame. And am looking forward to making more memories with my family and friends. And my new friends here. So Hi everyone!

Brad
Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotogirl View Post
We got out camper from Little Dealer Little Prices in Mesa and were not charged a $700 fee like you have mentioned. Not sure what they are trying to pull but we received a full walk around and instructions on how to use everything in/on/around the unit we purchased when we picked it up.
Did they try to sell it to you though?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Having owned 2 conventional pop-ups before, the biggest attraction of the A-frame to us was the quick set-up and take-down. It is significantly faster than a PUP - I've actually measured at 15 minutes, with a third of that going to connecting/disconnecting the WDH (I need WDH towing with a minivan)

The convenience factor allows us to store the A-frame in the garage, decide to go on a trip, and be on our way in less than 2 hours. This includes hook-up, packing clothes and food. If conditions are not conducive to a good trip at the campsite, 15 minutes to be ready to move on or go home works nicely for us. One night trips are a lot of fun with the A-frame.

As was pointed out, there isn't a lot of room inside. Opening up floor space by extending the end bunks in a conventional PUP doesn't happen with an A-frame.

As was also pointed out, hard sides are required in certain campgrounds at Yosemite and other locations with severe bear problems. The wife does like the hard sides better when we are camping in bear country.

just our experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
This is literally how i camp in a tent i have everything i need on my shelves in my garage ready to do and all i need to do is pick up food and beer on they way home for work, grab my gear and leave.

Tags
camper