Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Threegeeks

First camping trip ever, challenging but we survived

2012 Rockwood A124. Whispering Hills RV Park, Ohio. Our first camping trip ever. Our son disliked the public restroom and that is one of the main reason we choose A124. We survived on this forum on how to use the cassette toilet and how to turn on the hot water heater. The internet was down the whole time. So you can imagine our pain of walking around with our cell phones above our head, looking for cell phone signal to connect us to this forum .
While facing the challenge of operating our first camper, here comes the 65+ mph wind/storm out of nowhere and we run for our vehicle (Happy 4th of July). The next day, we took on the challenge of putting up the screen room that came with the A124. I thought for sure that would end our marriage but we survived the process. We will never again put up the screen room. We permanently removed all the Velcro we had to install (the bugs, just love the glue on the back of the Velcro’s, and seems to be having a hell of a party with it). Also, we didn’t feel comfortable folding the permanent screen room over the wall of the A frame and had a dirty, screen room laying inside of the camper (when folding down the camper). Just when we started to relax a bit and decided to drive up and have a good meal, another surprise hit us pretty good. When a waitress came into a room full of people and asked “Anyone here own a Red SUV?”…well, it is never a good thing. While we enjoyed our meal, a black 4 door vehicle hit our vehicle in the parking lot and left the scene. The damage on our SUV wasn’t so bad and we got back to our camper just in time for dinner, in which the hot soup just happen to drop on to my son’s foot. Our large emergency bag came in handy and the cool water from the sink in the A124 saved the day. We ended our last night there watching the movie “RV”. We laughed and told ourselves that we didn’t have it that bad. Sounds crazy but we can’t wait until next weekend, we are taking the A124 out for another camping trip.
P.S. since the A124 loved Velcro so much, I decided to Velcro the GE Antenna, Futura HD TV to the top of the camper. My husband said that is “red neck”. I am ok with being a “red neck” with about 45 channels. I picked up the antenna from Home Depot for about $50. Check out the picture and tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7043854.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	16230   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7043912.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	16231   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7074002.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	16232  
U.S. Army Veterans
threegeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #2

Hello from Dayton, Ohio! Congrats on your new camper! I think the screen room looks pretty good in the pix. We were going to camp this weekend, but 101 degrees Friday and 102 Saturday kept us home. Sigh...

This is a great camping forum, isn't it? Lots of friendly helpful people. Welcome!
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Threegeeks

Hi there! We actually moved from Beavercreek/Dayton area, just about last summer, still got a rental property there. We love the area and dread having to move to Columbus. The screen room on the popup hardwall was nice, but it didn't keep the bugs away, instead, we got more bugs because they love the glue materials on the Velcros. The weather was pretty hot and we have to used the AC most of the time in the camper, (mostly for our dog). The lot we were on have two large trees and that did help some. This forum has been very helpful and we are so thankful for all the help we been getting. Our RV dealership is just as clueless as we are. Thank you!
U.S. Army Veterans
Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
H2oski

Congrats on the new camper, and WELCOME to the forum. What you are doing is creating memories not only for you but also your son. Ours are 30 and 27 and they hate it when we can go camping and they can't. (Work and family of course ). But they take their kids camping and they just love it. We take the grand kids about once a year and they just love the 5th wheel over a tent. HA HA. I a couple of years you will be laughing your butt off when you tell stories about your first camping trip. Each one gets better. Enjoy.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. I was born and raised in Franklin, but have lived in Pickerington for the last 26 years.

It sounds like your first time out was a real adventure. You'll get more comfortable after a few outings. Enjoy the new trailer.

I usually go to Deer Creek, but Cowan Lake (near Wilmington) is my favorite state park. My trailer is now setup for primative camping so I plan to visit some of the Federal Reserves in southeastern Ohio on future outings.

Dave

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

All in all sounds like a fine bunch of memories you collected for the weekend. Hope you keep enjoying your A Frame and be safe.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

I get through the rough times by continually saying "Are we having fun yet?!"

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Threegeeks

Thanks all! We will do our best to have a good time, and will adopt the saying "Are we having fun yet?" hahahahaha.
U.S. Army Veterans
Old 07-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

like the hd ant. thing ... love the humor ... and appreciate the info on the screen room ... great post.

d-mo
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #10

I read once that the problems encountered camping help bring families closer together. Something goes wrong every trip, its how you deal with it that matters.

Once, we had a new camper and someone had left the black water tank valve open. I took the cap off the pipe and it ran all over my shoes, gushing blue water and toilet paper etc. everywhere. The guy at the next dumping station was trying to contain his laughter, but he failed after hearing my wife and son laughing hysterically...all from the comfort of the inside of the camper. I "think" I said some bad words. Now, it is one of our funniest camping calamities. It took 30 minutes to wash it all down the drain.

I agree about the Velcro. Much of ours is peeling off after just a few trips.

We call all of our campers past and present " the fun zone". We check our attitudes before we leave the house and make the most out of whatever happens!
CCrane2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #11

HI Jeff, Cindy!

I enjoyed reading about your adventure in the new trailer! I was very interested in your comment about the screen room. I have one as well - but I have not attached it to the trailer. My husband asked me why not & I told him I wasnt sure I really wanted to have to push in a dirty/dusty or wet fabric inside the unit, all depending what the weather conditions were like when I left the show grounds (I use the trailer at dog shows when possible, versus hotel costs).

Last weekend's show was hot (102) and rainy (flash floods). I had my trusty EZ-up w/sidewalls which is the area my dogs can relax in unbothered by the static energy often experienced at the shows by both dogs and their people.

Anyway, after we were done, we had to wait for a break in the rain and when it happened, we loaded things in a whirlwind of speed! Since all my stuff was wet (soaked), I just bungeed the canopy together and tossed it on the toy deck along with the chairs, tarps and dog crates....as I took the trailer down, all I could think, is 'thank goodness I didnt have the screen room attached after all"

Your post only seemed to confirm what I realized after the weekend...sure dont want to bring in wet cloth dripping down the walls into the trailer when I fold it up.

When I negotiated the trailer, I had them include the screen room in the deal...now I just shake my head because the reality (after the weekend of varied weather extremes) I seriously doubt I will use it...unless I can detach the room and attach with ease...

My question to you is, "Is it feasible/possible to remove the screen room from the trailer when packing up or is it more of a pain?"

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Threegeeks

It is a bit challenging to put up and take the screen room all the way off. My husband is 6'2 and he is difinately cannot do this alone. For the setting up, we fold down the front (where the door is) and I have to crawl over to the couch area to attached the Velcros from the end (where the triangle fold over the camper). I also have to crawl over the countertop on the other side and do the same thing. To removed the screen room all the way, you would have to crawl over each side to get it off, the Velcros started to come off when I tried to removed it so I decided to pull all of the Velcros off as we donot want to ever put the screen room back up again. Even with the screen room fully assembles, we found that we are getting more bugs, there were so many of them that we took the screen part off and hope that the bugs would just fly out, but they very like the glue part of the Velcros and decided to hang out with us instead. When I got the screen room all the way off, it was wet, dirty, full of dead bugs and our son have too many allergies that I don't think we could risk puting the screen room inside of the camper. I do have to say that when it was up, it looks very nice and I was able to used the outside stove while it was raining. We set up a small eating area in the screen room and that was nice as well. We are searching for a small portable screen room that can easily put up and take down instead.
U.S. Army Veterans
Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegeeks View Post
It is a bit challenging to put up and take the screen room all the way off. My husband is 6'2 and he is difinately cannot do this alone. For the setting up, we fold down the front (where the door is) and I have to crawl over to the couch area to attached the Velcros from the end (where the triangle fold over the camper). I also have to crawl over the countertop on the other side and do the same thing. To removed the screen room all the way, you would have to crawl over each side to get it off, the Velcros started to come off when I tried to removed it so I decided to pull all of the Velcros off as we donot want to ever put the screen room back up again. Even with the screen room fully assembles, we found that we are getting more bugs, there were so many of them that we took the screen part off and hope that the bugs would just fly out, but they very like the glue part of the Velcros and decided to hang out with us instead. When I got the screen room all the way off, it was wet, dirty, full of dead bugs and our son have too many allergies that I don't think we could risk puting the screen room inside of the camper. I do have to say that when it was up, it looks very nice and I was able to used the outside stove while it was raining. We set up a small eating area in the screen room and that was nice as well. We are searching for a small portable screen room that can easily put up and take down instead.
Wal-Mart, Easy-Up awning. About $100. You can buy solid sides or screen sides or use a combination of the two. We would never have survived tenting without it.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #14

Cindy thanks for your input! I read to spouse & have decided I dont want to mess with the screen room at all. My EZ Up canopies have worked just fine, always bring them along for my dogs. I noticed a nice canopy set up at a previous show & the people told me they got at Walmart...you may want to check them out, they have cool accessories that make their canopies extremely multi useable!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote