Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #1

First week with our Rockwood A122

Well we made the plunge! We sold our 2001 Keystone cabana and bought the Rockwood A122. Saving Gas and ease of towing and wanting something newer led us to make the change. We pick it up in Ohio and drove back to Florida with it, making a stop in Asheville. Our first camping trip was an education. The aframe is small (not like our cabana) and we had to make some adjustments. First let me say even though it is small we are in love with it. I've already made some modifications. We mounted a small kitchen cabinet on the dinette side and built a pull out drawer underneath. We cut plywood to fit so we can still make a single bed in the event we should need it. All of this is reversible should we decide at some point to sell it. Also, the mattress has got to go. We've ordered a memory foam mattress to replace it. Looking forward to doing weekends this summer and going to western NC in the fall to see the leaves change. LIFE IS GOOD!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1173.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	15474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1174.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	15475   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1175.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	15476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1176.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	15477   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1177.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	15478  

cleancut39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
(Kim)

I saw one of these trailers at the CG this weekend and wanted to ask the people for a peek inside.
Very nice!!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy
I saw one of these trailers at the CG this weekend and wanted to ask the people for a peek inside.
Very nice!!
You should of asked. A-framers love to give tours and talk about their campers!
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
(Kim)

A-frames and R-pods always get me wanting to ask for a tour. Maybe I will get my DD to go and ask next time
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #5

Love the cabinet idea. How did you secure it to trailer? I travel alone and any more storage is always appreciated.
nekkidist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

Nekkidist if you look at the top picture you will see that I put the cabinet on a piece of 1/2 plywood. I secure it to the camper with four drywall screws. This has given us so much more room in the camper not to mention the added storage.

Labzy the next time that you see one in a camp ground talk to the owner maybe they show it to you. They are great for a couple.....more than that they get crowded. The big attraction for me is the money that we save in towing. We live 10 hours from the mountains which we try to go to at lease 1 time a year. With our truck we get 17 mpg towing the camper. With out the camper we get 21 mpg. This makes for happy camping LOL
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

Can the trailer fold with the cabinet in place? Is the added storage worth the added weight and loss of the dinette? The bed is pretty narrow as it is, so losing another 12 inches or so really makes the bed child size. The seat cushion mattress would also block the fridge and trailer door. What do you do with the plywood if the bed is not set up?
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #8

toleworks you can fold the trailer with the cabinet.....I have about 3 inches to spare. As far as the added weight it not going to be an issue. If you were storing gals of water in it then yes it might be an issue. We took out the spring mattress in the back and put in a foam fill mattress which helps balance the weight. We are giving up bed space but if we ever need to we can always take out the cabinet and put the regular table back in with ease. It"s just me and my wife so this set up works perfectly for us. when the bed is made it does block the frig but we normally don't need to get into the frig when we are sleeping and lastly we keep the plywood for the bed in the back of our pick up.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #9

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I have a project for next weekend
nekkidist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, first week, modifications