Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Wu
FM Radio reception

I have a new Rockwood A122S A-Frame with the Kenwood radio in it. Have any of you had a problem with reception on it?

Sometimes, at home, I can get a handful of the local stations on it. Other times it seems deaf. I was out in a very remote area recently and thought I'd see if I could find something to listen to, but it was dead.

A USB stick with music files on it works fine.

I pulled the radio out one time to make sure the antenna was plugged in tight. Reception improved sometimes as I moved the wiring around, but I couldn't get anything consistent.

I am skeptical about the little antenna on the wall next to the door being a very good antenna. In an automobile, the whip antenna works against the metal of the car body. But, in this case, it's all fiberglass and plastic. No ground plane.

The radio isn't very important to me, but I do know a thing or two about radios and electronics, and I'll get it working eventually. I just thought I'd ask if anyone had noticed this problem before and had a solution.
Doc Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #2

Mine does the samw thing. The antenna is in a bad place. Sometimes me being near it can help the signal or make it worse.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

What type of antenna are they putting on those ? My 2018 Cherokee has the flying Saucer Omnidirectional that handles the TV and Radio....I'm not impressed at all with it. Our old crank up TV antenna and separate automotive style radio antenna out performed this new one by a long shot.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

I dont think its the type of antenna causing the issue. It is where they mount the antenna.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

TheWolfPaq82, it's a floppy. Grounding is provided by the radio ground. It could possibly be replaced by a spring loaded or extendable type anttenna.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #6

Antenna?

I just figured out that is an antenna! All these years we thought it was for hanging a plastic grocery bag on for trash.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneweeseMI View Post
I just figured out that is an antenna! All these years we thought it was for hanging a plastic grocery bag on for trash.
My brother-in-law has a older Jayco, 2010 I think. Has the spring loaded "Floppy" antenna...like our 2007 Jayco had and I'm still trying to figure how the HECK ! he bent the top half to a 45 degree angle. But then again...my B.I.L. has done some weird sh*t to his camper that I've fixed from time to time.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarior View Post
Mine does the samw thing. The antenna is in a bad place. Sometimes me being near it can help the signal or make it worse.
That is exactly what I have experienced. It's very sensitive to anything around it. Touch it, move it, open the door, everything changes. A sure sign of a poor antenna with no ground plane.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneweeseMI View Post
That's about all it's good for!
Old 10-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #10

Could run a copper wire to the frame or to the ground.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #11

In my rockwood, I had the same problem
Figured out they install antennas that needs a ground.
Screwed to the fiberglass side, there is NO ground for it.
I bought a "no ground" antenna and plugged it in and I get all the same stations I get in my truck.
Cheap a** factory!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
In my rockwood, I had the same problem
Figured out they install antennas that needs a ground.
Screwed to the fiberglass side, there is NO ground for it.
I bought a "no ground" antenna and plugged it in and I get all the same stations I get in my truck.
Cheap a** factory!
I'd be interested in any information you could provide on your "no ground" antenna.

It is definitely a ground issue - technically counterpoise - and there is no ground in the wall of the trailer.

I took mine apart and looked at the insides. The fitting at the end of the cable had a short piece of the shield sticking out. On a metal surface, such as when mounted in an automobile, the shield side of the cable would connect to the body through the mounting. Does no good to connect it to fiberglass and styrofoam, though.

I took about 3 ft. of hookup wire and connected it to the shield and it made a slight improvement. It's still sensitive to movement around it.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:54 PM   #13

Here is the QUICK google to explain it
https://electronics.stackexchange.co...nd-some-do-not
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
You are right, but it's a lot of work to get inside to do that.

There are different kinds of grounds. What this needs if an RF ground, and while connecting to the frame may or may not provide that, what it really needs is a counterpoise or a wire to provide a balance to the whip antenna.

I added about 30" of wire to it at the back of the antenna and it made some improvement. I just stuffed it in the hole when I put the antenna back on.

I tried touching it to the door frame to see if it made any difference and the results were pretty random.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Here is the QUICK google to explain it
https://electronics.stackexchange.co...nd-some-do-not
Yeah. Thanks. I know the theory, I'm an electrician and electronics hobbyist and have been a Ham Radio operator for 40+ years.

Just hoping someone else found a solution before I reinvent the wheel.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
Actually I tried that back in July thinking that the problem is the ground plane. As other's have stated, just standing by the antenna makes the reception change. This summer I had the microwave out to do a modification to the cabinet and noticed that the antenna ground wire was just flopping loose, not hooked up to anything. So I temporarily ran a wire clamp from the antenna ground wire to an unpainted bolt on the frame. It made no difference in reception.

Next year I am going to remove the cheap AM/FM/CD Jensen radio, and install a low cost AM/FM radio with Bluetooth. That way I can stream Pandora, etc. from my phone.

Tags
radio, reception