Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Fold Down Camping (A-style)

Anyone else out there have the fold down by Rockwood/Forest River?
We absolutely love ours. It's loaded and has everything we need. Saw one online being set up and then folded down, then one caught our eye at an rv show. Had to have one!!
And from what I've seen for pricing on this one and competitors, we got a fantastic deal on this one, with a free 4400 generator thrown in for the rv show freebee.
Just wanted to throw this thread out there to see if anyone else has the A-style camper!
LakeCumberlandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Is this similar to the "A-Liner" trailers? I was looking at those before I went with a regular hard shell trailer with upright walls included. Being short and RVing solo made a big impact on my choice.

Everytime I come across one I give it another look.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Sounds like a great trailer at a great price and comes with a great generator!

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Post us some pics if you get a chance. Would love to get a look at your new trailer.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Site Team

I just looked at the FR site at the folding trailers. While the folding walls concept might be similar to the A-Liner the FR line is much nicer! Just from the pictures I like the Rockwood layout a lot. Gosh - what a big difference your trailer is from what I was looking at. FR really make some nice stuff.

You will have lots of good times to come. Feel free to post pictures. Congrats on your new toy!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

Hi again-- yes Terier, the Rockwood is much nicer than the Aliner brand. And for the record, my husband is 6'5" and he fits very well on the bed and has at least a foot of clearance over his head when standing at center. It is surprisingly roomy. I also am finding out that it is also less likely to have roof leaks like flat rooftops on conventional campers/trailers. I think what sold my husband is that it's all hard sides and top. He wanted nothing to do with canvas/poly/vinyl, or whatever is used for the pop-ups. What sold me was the generator included. We camp on a primitive site. I'm not big on having my neighbors right by me.

As for posting pictures, I don't know how but will try and figure it out someday!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #6

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that a man about 5' tall was setting up the camper when we stopped to watch him at the rv show. It took him all of about 3 minutes to do, by himself. There is some kind of patented lift system built in to the roof making it absolutely simple to set up and fold down.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Getting the generator tossed in is real nice - sounds like you will be putting it to good use.

You can add pictures by clicking on the paper clip icon for attachments and follow the steps. I have noticed there are different ways to reply to posts and not all of them have the same options.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #8

Hi all. Just bought an A128 today. Got it home and it has been storming ever since. Haven't even set it up yet. Went from a 23' travel trailer to a regular popup to this hardsided popup. So excited to try it out in the next couple weeks. We love the towability of these along with not having to deal with the canvas. The popup was just a stop gap as I wanted one of these since I sold my tt. Only kept the popup a couple weeks but made a few dollars on it. Hope to post more with pics later.
gsocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

I recently traded in our grey wolf 19rr for a rockwood A126 my wife and i havent had a chance to use it yet but lookingforward to this august.
Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam View Post
I recently traded in our grey wolf 19rr for a rockwood A126 my wife and i havent had a chance to use it yet but lookingforward to this august.
isn't the 19RR a new model? and you traded it in already?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #11

Smile

Wife didnt like it and she has had 20+ years camping in a coleman pop up camper and im less picky and long as i have a toilet to go to the bathroom at night with and a bed off the ground :P since she was more comfortable with the small pop up format i got the A126 since the couch/bed was comfortable enough for us both (with foam topper of course) and the toilet was easy to use and wasy to maintain and my wife was comfortable towing it.
we had tried selling it on our own but the 20+ people who made offfers on the '11 greywolf 19rr lowballed between 4-6k and the dealer traded the grey wolf straight across for his last '11 A126 we lost about 3k on the deal but it was much better than the alternatives
Old 07-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfam View Post
Wife didnt like it and she has had 20+ years camping in a coleman pop up camper and im less picky and long as i have a toilet to go to the bathroom at night with and a bed off the ground :P since she was more comfortable with the small pop up format i got the A126 since the couch/bed was comfortable enough for us both (with foam topper of course) and the toilet was easy to use and wasy to maintain and my wife was comfortable towing it.
we had tried selling it on our own but the 20+ people who made offfers on the '11 greywolf 19rr lowballed between 4-6k and the dealer traded the grey wolf straight across for his last '11 A126 we lost about 3k on the deal but it was much better than the alternatives
Was the grey wolf value actually higher then the A126? If so, if you were able to trade without putting out any more money and your wife is happy it sounds like a good deal to me too.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #13

yes in our area the grey wolf goes for 13-15k depending on options we payed 13.5 for the grey wolf and the asking price for the A126 was 12k for the '12's that just came in the dealer was asking 10k for the '11 model and thats the trade in value we got traded the grey wolf for. we still had to pay taxes and lost money on the grey wolf but it was still a good deal considering the alternative
Old 07-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
Site Team

I forgot about the tax part of it. Boy was I surprised how much it adds up to.

Remember we love pictures here so feel free to post some (or more pics).

Take care,
T.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #15

Is there any improvements to the 2012 model to justify a $2000 increase in MSRP over the 2011 unit?
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #16

I just purchased a 2012 A128 only because the 2011's are gone. I think the dealer mentioned something about an eye bolt that helps with the wall setup being new for 2012. I didn't know there was a big price increase from the 2011's. And why do they even have 2012's out this early? I would think it is a 2011, but it is a 2012. Haven't gotten to try it out yet but hoping to do so next weekend.
gsocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleworks View Post
Is there any improvements to the 2012 model to justify a $2000 increase in MSRP over the 2011 unit?
In my honest opinion no, but i do have to say our '11 unit was done late in the run and has some noticibly nicer work then the other 3 a126 and 128's we looked at previously ... no new featuresbut alot cleaner cuts, seels were much nicer
Our unit has a fantastic fan where as those earlier models had just generic fans and our unit had interstate batterie where the other units we ooked atfrom other dealers had generic batteries (the nicer batteries and experience may be because we got ours from a route 66 network dealer) the 2012 a-frames so far look like our late run '11 even the colors are the same so im not sure what forest river did to justify the price bump
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsocamper View Post
I just purchased a 2012 A128 only because the 2011's are gone. I think the dealer mentioned something about an eye bolt that helps with the wall setup being new for 2012. I didn't know there was a big price increase from the 2011's. And why do they even have 2012's out this early? I would think it is a 2011, but it is a 2012. Haven't gotten to try it out yet but hoping to do so next weekend.
Good luck with the camping, wife is on call this weekend but later on i august we will take our A126 out camping im looking forward to it!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #19

We checked prices at several dealers for a A126.From a high of $13,995 to a low of $9,995.Of course we bought the lower one,This is in Ontario Canada
lenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
Mostly Harmless

A128 here too!

We took delivery of our A128 in mid-February and have put about 4000 miles on it since. We too think it's nicer than the Chalets and Aliners we saw, especially since we paid less for ours new than we'd have had to shell out for a used one of the other brands. It seems to us that the designers of these units did their homework and avoided some of the problems inherent in the other brands (a google search showed that rotting floors are epidemic among both brands, due to hidden leaks.) In my--admittedly paranoid--search for leaks in our 128, the only one we had was during a horrendous storm that blew rain straight sideways into the overlap joint at the roof peak. We must have taken on about 10 drops of water then.
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote