Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Food storage

How do you store food? I'm thinking about perishable things like chips, bread, etc. that are brought along each trip rather than staying in the camper for the season.
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

Food storage

We keep any non perishable items in trailer for the season. All perishables we load the day before our trips and if we have some left over after trip we take in the house and consume. Anything that needs refrigeration we put in refrigerator. Anything not like chips and sweets we put in cabinets. Freezer stuff stays in freezer till season over if there are left overs. We keep trailer plugged in all year. We treat food in the camper like we treat food at house. We are just consuming it in a different place.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

I bought one of those closet shoe organizers that hang from the rod. I cut the bottom off so it doesn't drag on the bed, and hang it from the clothes bar on the ceiling in the camper. A loaf of bread or burger buns, chips, etc. fit nicely and are safe from being squishes and are out of the way when not in use.
2019 Chevy Colorado
rmebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
We keep any non perishable items in trailer for the season. All perishables we load the day before our trips and if we have some left over after trip we take in the house and consume. Anything that needs refrigeration we put in refrigerator. Anything not like chips and sweets we put in cabinets. Freezer stuff stays in freezer till season over if there are left overs. We keep trailer plugged in all year. We treat food in the camper like we treat food at house. We are just consuming it in a different place.
X2 - since we are out in our RV at least once a month and leave it plugged in to power all month long it's basically like a second kitchen (or as we refer to it "going to run to the store to get a can of beans".

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #5

Bread, rolls and other soft stuff go in the oven.

We generally do not take much with us, two or three meals then buy local where ever we are at.

Fridge is not huge so minimal is best.

Chips are under the bench seats of the dinette everything else goes in the pantry.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

Microwave for dog food ,biscuits ,and bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
Microwave for dog food ,biscuits ,and bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Dog food ???? sorry we would need several microwaves to store that......... Sorry couldn't help it............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodilc View Post
How do you store food? I'm thinking about perishable things like chips, bread, etc. that are brought along each trip rather than staying in the camper for the season.
Do not leave perishables in the camper when you are not camping....... invites bugs and other varmints........ Perishables when camping for us are stored in closed bags or containers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodilc View Post
I take all the food out of the camper at the end of each trip. Things that routinely go back in, such as spices and Starbucks coffee packets are stored in a special place in the pantry and restocked as needed.

Setting up for the next trip, I use a storage container which I call the dry food box. The non-refrigerated things go in there. There is a list taped on the underside of the top with reminders to pack the usual suspects, such as the spices and coffee, paper goods, tableware, and wine cups. It gets packed, usually the night before, either in the camper or in the TV. The box comes out for meal time then gets stowed afterwards.

With so little and such inconvenient in-house storage space in our a-frames, it seems to work for me.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

We keep a plastic storage tote in the front of the camper for that stuff and take it out when needed. Microwave can store bread/donuts or whatever also
s2111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage