Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

For the admins (but others welcome)

Can we find a way to differentiate the A-frame posts from the rest of the board when they show up on the side bar? It seems like more and more EVERY single post gets someone with a 2 million lb 5er offering "advice" about something. Not only are they wrong, they are so wrong its laughable.

I was thinking either a pop up activated by clicking the side bar that just lets folks know they are headed to the A-frame forum, or just add the words (A-FRAME) behind the post title in the sidebar. Heck, make it so EVERY post title we make starts with the words A-Frame automatically.

Between folks offering expensive and unnecessary generator advice to the ones that cant fathom any trailer being towed by anything other than a 1 ton dually diesel these posts get thrown off track. And then the next guy that clicks the sidebar sees advice like this and they add their 2 cents and next thing you know we have 15 posts telling folks bad information.

If we cant fix it, we cant fix it. But it would be nice.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

X2
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
This is what the forum is like. Everyone has a exit chute and a opinion that goes with it.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
This is what the forum is like. Everyone has a exit chute and a opinion that goes with it.

This is what every forum is like LOL, with RV and camping forums taking the cake. You can find the same subjects beat to death over and over on all of them. That's why we eat lots of popcorn.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

In the forums, A-frame and PUP owners get no respect. Those with the big boy toys can't imagine how we could get by with less.

At the campground, it's a different story. When I'm set up in less than 15 minutes without breaking a sweat, when I'm pulling away to go touring in my soft riding and comfortable minivan instead of climbing up a ladder into my Megatron Dualie, when we are chatting around the campfire or cooking on a 2 burner stove at the picnic table instead of trapped inside a mobile kitchen, many of the ladies are giving us an envying glance. And wondering when and where things got so big and complicated.

However, DW is now wishing we had bought an A122s for the easy access front trunk...

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time - currently camping at Lake Waco COE site.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

Maybe we should register our RV and be restricted to posting in only that forum.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Reply in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv70sFords View Post
Can we find a way to differentiate the A-frame posts from the rest of the board when they show up on the side bar?

Short answer, no there is not a way with the forum software used.

I was thinking either a pop up activated by clicking the side bar that just lets folks know they are headed to the A-frame forum, or just add the words (A-FRAME) behind the post title in the sidebar. Heck, make it so EVERY post title we make starts with the words A-Frame automatically.

There is no way to automatically assign a title prefix to a thread per subforum posted in. HOWEVER, you could add a prefix similar to what you are stating, to all your threads you start. We have always recommended that the thread titles should be descriptive of the topic/question that is being asked or needing help on. Thread titles that are simply things like "help needed" or "advice" are not usually good indicators for those perusing the thread titles either by subforum or recent posts.

Between folks offering expensive and unnecessary generator advice to the ones that cant fathom any trailer being towed by anything other than a 1 ton dually diesel these posts get thrown off track. And then the next guy that clicks the sidebar sees advice like this and they add their 2 cents and next thing you know we have 15 posts telling folks bad information.

This is just a part of forum life. Those using the recent discussion title list but not noticing the actual subforum they are in once they click on the thread title is nothing new. Our members here are extremely helpful and want to assist their fellow campers so much that they may not see they are in a subforum that doesn't pertain to the actual RV/model that help is being seeked on. It's better to have too much information shared than not enough, and that is sometimes forgotten. As a camping community, who are sharing collective wisdom..... that needs to be encouraged, not frowned upon.

Discussion forums usually always disseminate the applicable from the inapplicable, as do most discussions in real life. That's what friendly discussions do.

If we cant fix it, we cant fix it. But it would be nice.

I'm not sure it's something that is broken thus needs fixing

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
This is what every forum is like LOL, with RV and camping forums taking the cake. You can find the same subjects beat to death over and over on all of them. That's why we eat lots of popcorn.
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #9

I'm pretty new to the forum and have found it to be very helpful and full of great people willing to lend a helping hand.

Yes sometimes folks who own the large RV monsters somehow get into the A-Frame forum, get confused and ask questions or offer advise within the A-Frame forum that is not A-Frame centric. There are also those that want to share their "vast knowledge" of campers/RVs no matter what class or size is being discussed.

Not a big deal. Usually one of our A-Framers makes mention of this and everything is quickly resolved. I'll admit that sometimes I've have learned a thing or two from those "Monster RV" owners that has applied to my little A-Frame so no harm - no foul!

I get a kick of everyone's commitment to their particular class/size of camper/RV and the "spirited opinions" created by each person's allegiance. All good fun.

I don't think we can regulate all the forum conversations beyond the stated forum categories. We're for the most part self-regulated and handle any concerns internally in a civilized manner.

Just my two cents worth.......

Terry

"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got."

2014 Rockwood A128S
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 4X4 Short Bed
Big Red Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
Site Team

unfortunately, many members pay no attention to what area a thread/post is located.
They simply see the title and post to it.
If someone wants responses for a particular type of RV(A-frame, Hybrid, Truck Camper for example), they should include that in the thread title.

like "Question for A-frame owners only, what size generator will run the Cool Cat?"
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Or you could just use:

A-FRAME - Heater won't start

or

A-Frame - water pump making funny noise

That way folks who have similar water pumps and heaters, but not A-Frames, won't post.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #12

There are just too many people that won't read the whole post or just respond to everything with a well intended personal anecdote. It's just life.

The best way to handle this is to make a short, simple reply noting that the post has incorrect or irrelevant information for AFrame campers. It is important that we do this because many of the questions are asked by new owners who would not be able to tell if the respondent know what he is talking about. Or searched by new member with the same question.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #13

Funny, I never use the "Recent Discussions" column on the right. I go to the line above the post column and click on "A frames" that takes me to the recent A frame discussions.
Now when I have to "search" for something it does get confusing.

"Forest River Forums > Tent Campers | A Frames | Truck Campers"
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
Site Team

Hmmm, I just had an idea, but will need to do some research. It may take a day or so.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

Appreciate it. Like I said before, I understand it, just thought it might help reduce confusion amongst the new folks. I myself almost fell for the "You need 3500w to run the A/C" I now know better and get by just fine on the 2200w Ryobi

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
It would probably HELP, if each new thread started out with,. " I have a NEW/USED 20?? BRANDNAME, model # TH/TT/5ER/ CLASS C OR whatever. The three or four numbers leave me in the dark. A 335 or 25/10 etc leaves me in the dark and only someone tuned in to that model knows what they are talking about. I feel stupid when I eventually realize that I gave TT advice to a guy talking about his new $150,000 class A, and God knows I don't need extra reasons to feel stupid.

Thanks good topic.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
It would probably HELP, if each new thread started out with,. " I have a NEW/USED 20?? BRANDNAME, model # TH/TT/5ER/ CLASS C OR whatever. The three or four numbers leave me in the dark. A 335 or 25/10 etc leaves me in the dark and only someone tuned in to that model knows what they are talking about. I feel stupid when I eventually realize that I gave TT advice to a guy talking about his new $150,000 class A, and God knows I don't need extra reasons to feel stupid.

Thanks good topic.

X2. Many times I will google the model to see what it is. I have learned to watch the MH section because you will get scolded(seen it done many times).

Usually someone is trying to help and not make confusion... exceptions instantly noted: weight police, brand specific TVs, crappy components/frames and LT vs ST tires. I haven't been scolded in a while and honestly I haven't seen as much in a while. Crappy comments. Yes.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

I fall into the MH scolding all the time... If I am on my computer(now) I will see where I am posting, as long as I pay attention.. If I am on my phone, that is where I get into trouble.. On Tapatalk I only see the first part of the forum section, cannot see WHERE it is actually in. I might not even see I am in a popup section or MH (not very nice). But if it is specific I try to look if a model is given. But, I am found... Contrary to certain areas on this forum's belief, most issues are not dependent on WHAT you are traveling in as they all mostly use the same stuff inside.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
And some of us have come up thru the ranks....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #20

In some cases a "that does not apply here" response can be used with respect. I do love the cases when some member feels the the need to belittle another of that very case. Makes me want to forgo the rule of respond be nice and move on.

If the folks were still alive and still talking to me...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote