Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 11:59 PM   #1

Framing locations in walls of A-frame trailer

I have a 2016 Forest River Viking Legend-V12RB.

There are a few modifications and additions that I would like to make to my trailer. However various structural reinforcements are hidden behind wood sheeting, aluminum, and fiberglass coverings. I am looking for any drawings on where wood or other structural reinforcements are located in the A-frame side panels, roof panels, and front and back ends of the trailer.

I posed this question to several Forest River email addresses and received several generic responses that they do not have any drawings available. Really??? How is that even posible? I know darn well there must be construction drawings someplace. Poor customer service by Viking / Forest River to not make any effort to send drawings to a customer.

Have any members here had any luck finding out where the hidden wood supports are in the walls?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:14 AM   #2

There is no structure. The sides and roof peices are attached to the foam core.
If you look around you will see reinforcements on the walls to objects attached either inside or out. A front bed support on mine is attached through the wall to a 1x1 board. There are other attachment points as well but mine is a T21TBHW Flagstaff.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #3

I agree with the 1 x 1s

and, of course, the aluminum angles that make up the box structure. Those are visible, though.

Light is light.

Many mods already posted to choose from that are practical with what we got.

Happy camping!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

So the cargo nets on the wall by the bed ends are really not attached to anything? Just relying on the thin aluminum skin?

What about the the front wall of the trailer, the dinette end? Is there something behind the sheeting about the height of the bench or table top?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
So the cargo nets on the wall by the bed ends are really not attached to anything? Just relying on the thin aluminum skin?

What about the the front wall of the trailer, the dinette end? Is there something behind the sheeting about the height of the bench or table top?
Pretty much on the nets. Not even sure they use expansion anchors, probably not.
The bed support has either a small 2x4 or a 1x1 (I forget) and the screws go through the front wall. Benches are 1x1 supports.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:47 AM   #6
OYO

I'm not familiar with your model, but there is a small support in ours under the dinet.

Generally I look for existing screws or tap on the wall with my finger. The sound difference is quite noticeable.

Photo showing front wall fastening point. But there's no guarantee yours is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180216_090348.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	163987  
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 AM   #7

You have a Big advantage in where you live! Place unit Outside on a Cold Night,in the Morning "All the Structural Points/Members" will show on the Outside from the "Moisture/Dew" outlines! Measure and Chart findings! Youroo!!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #8

Being an engineer at a company that makes foamed panels, at the attachment points, I am sure there is a backer plate inside the panel. Foamed panels do not require a structure, only a foamed in place backer plate of some kind at the points where anything is to be attached to it.

Backers can be wood or a heavier grade steel/aluminum plate that will allow the screw threads to properly grab.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpiezzzz View Post
Being an engineer at a company that makes foamed panels, at the attachment points, I am sure there is a backer plate inside the panel. Foamed panels do not require a structure, only a foamed in place backer plate of some kind at the points where anything is to be attached to it.

Backers can be wood or a heavier grade steel/aluminum plate that will allow the screw threads to properly grab.
Forest River uses steel backers. They can be located by using a magnet.
steve02bat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, cat, frame, location, trailer